No announcement yet.

GCD2: Games Chart Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales of Resident Evil 2 Remake have now passed 5m in total, surpassing the sales of the original Resident Evil 2

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
      https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ation-original

Sales of Resident Evil 2 Remake have now passed 5m in total, surpassing the sales of the original Resident Evil 2
      Capcom got this one so right ... glad they got some decent sales.

Comment

New figures from Sony:

Switch rough figures for end of Nov:
        https://www.statista.com/statistics/687059/nintendo-switch-unit-sales-worldwide/

And XBO
        https://www.statista.com/statistics/1005403/global-xbox-one-console-unit-sales/

PlayStation 5 - 106m units
        Xbox One - 45m units
        Switch - 44m units

Xbox One - 42.8m units
        Switch - 41.67m units

Comment

Microsofts revenue is expanding in its second quarter results to $36.9bn but that's not thanks to the Xbox Division which has seen a 21% collapse in earnings. The aspects of the Xbox brand that related to content and services also fell by 11% as the market moves away from the XBO ahead of the upcoming next-gen face off. The decline in Fortnite's popularity was also a contributing factor. Xbox hardware revenue fell by 43% year on year which presumably suggests the XBO's sell through userbase isn't going to move too much further than the est.45m units it's on.

However, reportedly Game Pass subscriptions did double in the last quarter which means that whilst the service isn't generating that much for Microsoft it is enjoying rapid expansion.

Sony will release their figures next Tuesday.

Nintendo, meanwhile, have released their figures which have revealed that the top 10 selling Switch titles are:

01 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 22.96m
          02 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 17.68m
          03 - Super Mario Odyssey - 16.59m
          04 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 16.34m
          05 - Pokémon Sword/Shield - 16.06m
          06 - Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee - 11.76m
          07 - Splatoon 2 - 9.82m
          08 - Super Mario Party - 9.12m
          09 - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe - 5.85m
          10 - Luigi's Mansion 3 - 5.37m

Link's Awakening has sold 4.19m, Fire Emblem: Three Houses has shifted 2.58m and Astral Chain has sold through 1.03m

They have also revised up their financial year targets for the system from 18m units to 19.5m and have released the new current figure for the number of consoles sold to date and the Switch has now finally, firmly resigned Xbox One to last place.

01 - PlayStation 4 - 106m
          02 - Switch - 52.48m
          03 - Xbox One - 46m

Comment

PS4 is slowing but still outpacing the PS2

01 - PlayStation 4 - 108.9m
            02 - Switch - 52.48m
            03 - Xbox One - 46m

Comment

Feels like this is the most appropriate thread to leave this in, but after the bombshell of TLOU2 being delayed indefinitely it appears more bad news is guaranteed...

Comment

I don't believe him... why? Because most hadn't really lined up much to begin with. 2020 wasn't looking too stellar from the outset thanks to the new hardware transitions.

Comment

He was right before, and if he's making these sorts of statements he basically knows what's coming.

Comment

Just tried to look at what was due and see what looks likely to hold from May onward:

-Wasteland 3: Yeah, can imagine a knock back on this one
                    -Xenoblade Chronicles FC: Presumably this will hold given it was only just announced the other day
                    -Death Stranding: The PC version, probably 50/50 given the digital sale leaning
                    -Ghost of Tsushima: A goner

That was really it till Cyberpunk 2077 in September which is also presumably a 2021 title now. I can definitely believe the post but I don't think we're losing much based on what was lined up.
                    In terms of big releases that was really it till

Comment

Avengers too. Either way all bets are off.

Comment

I can imagine one company deciding to release a big name game as digital only, realizing it does not affect sales to much, then physical media being greatly reduced

Comment

I'm not sure they are quite there yet, although probably not far away. Certainly the platform holders and the publishers have the analytics and MI to have detailed estimates on the loss of earnings. There was a good thread response on Resetera from someone working in the (other) media industries talking about why videogames are being pulled, apart from the logistical nightmare of trying to print/manufacture physical media that isn't possible atm.

The question might be how far and big could this extend (not that TLOU2 isn't a monster release). For example would Activision Blizzard accept a major delay to its yearly COD - or just release a rushed/incomplete/buggy/digital only game instead? Unprecedented times of course.

Comment

Sony have announced that Financial Year 2019 was the second most successful year for the Playstation brand ever. 13.6m PS4 consoles were sold during the year along with 244.9m units of software. PS4 has also become the only console to ever have four consecutive years of selling over 200m software units. 66% of software sales were digital. Of all the sectors that Sony operates in, Playstation was the most profitable. There are now 41.5m PS+ users also.

Current console lifetime sales now sit at:

01 - PlayStation 4 - 110.4m
                            02 - Switch - 55.8m
                            03 - Xbox One - 46.3m

Playstation 4 is still outselling Playstation 2 also by 7m units

Comment

This ties in to a point I was trying to make not long ago. 41 million people has PSplus accounts and 66% of software sales are digital. This is a large amount of people who are tied to playstation digitally. Are these people going to be willing to give up all the time and money they've put in to the console to jump to the Xbox next gen? Remember, it's likely that on PS5 they can redownload the games they bought.
                              I know people jumped from the 360 to the PS4 but I really don't think digital sales were anywhere near the numbers today. I don't know the answer but it's a big ask of MS.

Comment

I think with the Xbox 360 MS got caught out in that its success was driven by few markets and those it conquered will have seen many pick up a PS3 also. I find it interesting that the number of PS+ users is still in the minority given its requirement for online play etc and a higher number buy digitally.

Comment

Working...
                                X