Splatoon 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splatoon 2

Don't forget it's Splatfest this weekend. I enjoy Splatfest. It's the only time I pvp. Had hoped the recent massive update would get me back into playing pvp regularly, but it didn't. I still play Salmon Run loads though. Anyway, all these words are nowt but dressing for a picture I wanna show:

That's right. Quantum mechanics's being mentioned, baby! Jewboi is a kindred spirit. And top dude. Or lass. A top person!

What's the topic of the Splatfest?

... And what team is Marina on?

Comment

It's action film v comedy film. Dunno which lass Marina is or what team she's on, soz.

Comment

Who's he kiddin'...

Comment

Finally manged it. Finally managed 100+ golden eggs. I've been trying for ages. Nice to see the game acknowledge the achievement with new dialogue too.

Comment

I played 4 or 5 times a week for 8 months straight (literally hundreds of hours play) to get that score, all so that one day you folk on here would say "hey, man, you're the best" or "your talent is godly" or call me 'Mr Skillz' yet nobody has said anything of the sort. Or indeed anything at all. I dunno why I bother.

Comment

Love the close matches. I always feel that I made the difference. That last kill I made, that last squirt of ink on the ground, it tilted the scales and won the match. But, of course, everybody else is thinking the same thing: that they made the difference!

Comment

One thing which is interesting is how close matches on Splatoon are believed to be randomised by some players - like somewhere in the region of 0.6% is just a dice roll to ensure there are never any ties. Apparently this can be observed if you start a game and everyone quits or otherwise doesn't actually ink any of the level; you end up with a score of ~0.4% vs 0.6%, even though both numbers should be zero.

Comment

So you can't get draws?

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                    So you can't get draws?
                    No, at least, that seems to be the consensus. I've certainly never had one despite some very close games.

Comment

No, I don't think I have either. I'd rather the spoils be shared evenly between both teams rather than artificially fixing drawn matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                        No, I don't think I have either. I'd rather the spoils be shared evenly between both teams rather than artificially fixing drawn matches.
                        I'd be willing to bet Nintendo have the telemetry to know how many matches it has affected. I have probably played hundreds of games of Splatoon, and only had a close enough finish maybe 2-3 times out of that, so in the grand scheme of things I doubt it matters.

Comment

I wanted to write this post for quite some time, I have a few spare minutes so here I go.

Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion is built around self-contained challenge rooms that really owe a lot to Breath Of The Wild. There are physics.based puzzles but are a minority; when physics are involved it's usually about doing something with a giant 8-ball (roll it to the goal, play tic-tac-toe, shoot it across gates with a limited amount of ink) while other stages are built around a variety of tasks: do something with a limited amount of ink, kill all enemies within a time limit, collect all items on a rotating structure, and of course boss fights. So far I've only met two and unfortunately they are simple remixes of existing Splatoon 2 bosses; with 80 or so new, tricky, and inventive stages Nintendo should have gone the extra mile and design new bosses as well.

Progression isn't linear but if you follow the intended path stage complexity ramps up rather nicely, and if you get stuck on one you can pay Pearl and Marina to hack into the system and register the stage as completed. Completing a stage not only gives you some money (used to pay access to other stages) and Mem Cakes, that right now are only collectibles: stages are arranged on tube lines below Inkopolis, and getting all Mem Cakes on a line will prompt one of the few NPCs in this weird subterranean transport system to give you some extra cash. Stages can be replayed to grind for money should later stages drain your reserves and most of them can be tackled with three different weapon sets.
                          The goal of this campaign isnt' to beat all stages but collect four trinkets spread around the tube lines; the final reward is getting Octolings available in multiplayer matches. I've currently collected one trinket but to be honest I'm not really aiming for those and I'm rather focusing on completing as many stages as possible, they offer a good challenge without being too frustrating. Some of the later stage did prove quite demanding but so far I've never caved in and asked Pearl and Marina for help.
                          I'm playing in handheld mode only and one thing I can say is that some stages require a bit too much waving of the Switch around, especially on the vertical axis; other than that the game runs beautifully smooth and the intentive puzzles really make the stages fun.

Comment

Is this a good game for kids too? Is there a co-op mode against bots where me and my kids (age 7) could play together? Never played Splatoon before. Looks slightly complicated on closer inspection. What you think?

Comment

You'd need 1 console and 1 game per person to play together.

Comment

Working...
                              X