No announcement yet.

Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Respawn will get swallowed up next gen as well. No way they last.

Comment

Such a shame that MK11 seems to be so corrupted by MTX and loot boxes. I already dislike free to play mechanics - waste your time on deliberately punitive grinding or waste your money on consumable 'gems', a real Sophie's choice - and to put them in a game that costs ~£50 is a real piss take.

The signs were there with MK X too. That game was already very light on content and had very expensive DLC. They've taken it even further with this one.

The sad thing is I really wanted this game.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Such a shame that MK11 seems to be so corrupted by MTX and loot boxes. I already dislike free to play mechanics - waste your time on deliberately punitive grinding or waste your money on consumable 'gems', a real Sophie's choice - and to put them in a game that costs ~£50 is a real piss take.

The signs were there with MK X too. That game was already very light on content and had very expensive DLC. They've taken it even further with this one.

The sad thing is I really wanted this game.
        Hammer. Nail. Head.

Despite always preferring Street Fighter, I’ve always respected MK’s history (and even had a soft spot for MKII) and was impressed by the renaissance it seemed to be having with MK9 and MKX but this kind of practice is a joke.

Comment

MK9 and X are great games. Probably my favourite fighting games. They’re accessible, fun to play, great story modes and 4 player tag team matches in 9 were an absolute blast.

Used to love 2 and to a lesser extent 3 on the MD but, being honest, I find them nigh on unplayable now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            If it is true that fatalities are being paywalled then MK11 really can f*ck off as far as I’m concerned.
            Surely the hallmark of the series wouldn't be paywalled? But nothing would really surprise me when it comes to the greed of AAA publisher now, given where we are at.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Used to love 2 and to a lesser extent 3 on the MD but, being honest, I find them nigh on unplayable now.
              I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that. They've definitely aged badly in comparison to Capcom's fighters of that period.

I loved playing 2 and 3 in the arcades and on the SNES but, if anything, their mechanics/controls seemed archaic even back then tbh (Using a button to block? LOL).
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 25-04-2019, 17:05.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                Surely the hallmark of the series wouldn't be paywalled? But nothing would really surprise me when it comes to the greed of AAA publisher now, given where we are at.
                That's what the Reddit that [MENTION=2982]Digfox[/MENTION] linked to a few posts back would appear to infer.

A disgraceful move by NRS if true.

Comment

Funny thing is seeing people defend it saying "NRS will fix it" and they may do.

But its not a case of "Oh we did not mean to have it set up like this" I can imagine they had meetings and tons of discussions about how grindy they would make the game.

Reminds me of Anthem where they were saying two weeks before launch they were still working out the cost for Microtransactions.......yeah right.

Erghhh Horse Armour feels so long ago now.

Even My fav Free to play game Warframe I had issues with as Platinum was needed for many things, but at least now its possible to unlock weapon and warframe slots via the weekly missions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    That's what the Reddit that [MENTION=2982]Digfox[/MENTION] linked to a few posts back would appear to infer.

A disgraceful move by NRS if true.
                    I seem to remember "easy fatalities" being a thing you could buy in the previous MK as a disposable item, maybe that's what it refers to. Being able to pay for a single use fatality might actually be worse.

Edit: I knew I wasn't imaging it: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...asy-fatalities - 79p for five Easy Fatalities, what a bargain.

Comment

I don't understand the point. Fighting games are all about getting skillful enough to pull off the specials easily.
                      I can't imagine the next Street Fighter having easy Hadokens. Just R2 your way to victory.

Comment

Really? Capcom are the masters of slicing up their fighting game content and selling offf the bits in microtransactions. I can easily imagine it being a thing. Ten Hadokens for £1.

Comment

Also let’s not pretend that the barrier to fatalities is skill. They’re a memory test or, more likely for just about everyone now, they are about whether you have a gamefaqs page open while you’re playing. But it does seem that some fatalities are locked behind this koin system now - brutalities seem to be ones that have to be unlocked but I haven’t found out if there are others.

Comment

OK yeah I agree with both of you. Capcom could well go the same route. And fatalities are basically left, right, left, punch... Which makes easy fatalities more of a piss take.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Also let’s not pretend that the barrier to fatalities is skill. They’re a memory test or, more likely for just about everyone now, they are about whether you have a gamefaqs page open while you’re playing. But it does seem that some fatalities are locked behind this koin system now - brutalities seem to be ones that have to be unlocked but I haven’t found out if there are others.
                              And both are way less offensive than ninjas with jiggle-jogglers

Comment

The reddit post has been taken down for being 'misleading', even though there's a moderator reply in /ps4 who states that they specifically won't take it down. It clearly generated much debate. However the amount of defenders on reddit, twitter and 'era of these freemium style mechanics in a £55 to £80 game is staggering although not surprising anymore. The sutafuge from NRS and WB is blatantly obvious.

So no wonder the water is heating up for us amphibians.

Comment

Working...
                                X