Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Agreed, but there are now more options on the Dash for parents to stop this. The new update for the XBox has the of the best family options I've ever seen. I think smart phones are a far bigger issue myself.
    That's a completely different issue though. Parental controls aren't going to switch off the in-game cash shop/MTX, loot boxes or make the grind any easier. You can't escape Breakpoint's slow grind for example. All you can do is not buy these games and make noise on the internet.

Also if you don't want any games impacted by MTX or aggressive monitisation you are looking at games like Spider-Man, Ashen or The Outer Worlds etc. Stuff that isn't from these big western publishers and hence we have all been impacted. Mobile monitisation has increasingly been put into these big PC and console games.
    Last edited by Digfox; 25-10-2019, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
      That's a completely different issue though. Parental controls aren't going to switch off the in-game cash shop/MTX, loot boxes or make the grind any easier.
      I think you should look at the new update and go to the child purchases section and how the parent is then is able to control any cash purchase done on the XBox

Comment

Also if you don't want any games impacted by MTX or aggressive monitisation you are looking at games like Spider-Man, Ashen or The Outer Worlds etc. Stuff that isn't from these big western publishers and hence we have all been impacted. Mobile monitisation has increasingly been put into these big PC and console games.
        I didn't like Spiderman and the Outer Worlds I'm just playing it on GamePass. I'm not going to spend any money on that. I have more of an issue with content being held back for a season pass and the like

Comment

I think you should look at the new update and go to the child purchases section and how the parent is then is able to control any cash purchase done on the XBox
          That's a completely different issue though. Parental controls aren't going to switch off the in-game cash shop/MTX, loot boxes or make the grind any easier. You can't escape Breakpoint's slow grind for example. All you can do is not buy these games and make noise on the internet.

Comment

The conversion is going off course but more aggressive monitisation in games isn't impacted by some parental controls no matter how good that feature might be.

Comment

The conversion is going off course but more aggressive monitisation in games isn't impacted by some parental controls no matter how good that feature might be.
              If it limits or stops how the child spends via the Credit card or Paypal account associated and linked on the Xbox in question, it does.
              That is the point and going forward I suspect that MS, SONY will have even more features on the next systems, so they don't face any class action law suits on how my child was able to run up a 20k credit card bill.

Comment

If it limits or stops how the child spends via the Credit card or Paypal account associated and linked on the Xbox in question, it does.
                That is the point and going forward I suspect that MS, SONY will have even more features on the next systems, so they don't face any class action law suits on how my child was able to run up a 20k credit card bill.
                Its already been said but having parental controls restricting access to the in game shop isn't going to stop the game being a grindy mess designed to push you towards the shop. The games are designed around MTX, with them switched off the ****ty game mechanics still remain.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  You can limit how the money is spent with parent controls and also Breakpoint is a bad example. You have to be 18 to play that game and if an adult wants to waste their money on loot boxes or whatever, that's their lookout

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    Its already been said but having parental controls restricting access to the in game shop isn't going to stop the game being a grindy mess designed to push you towards the shop. The games are designed around MTX, with them switched off the ****ty game mechanics still remain.
                    It can limit or stop how money is spent on the card or Paypal account that is linked to the system in question.

Comment

Latest Jim Sterling YouTube video.

I know this is preaching to the converted here, but quite an interesting video where he talks about the rise of individual game subscriptions. Also includes a funny skit on Bethesda as well as coining a new phrase (something he does pretty often).

Comment

Originally posted by neklefeu
                        You can choose the limit on the settings and the way you pay
                        I smell a plant.

Comment

Originally posted by neklefeu
                          You can choose the limit on the settings and the way you pay
                          Hello.

Comment

Battle Passes suck. Unless you're someone who only plays one game they are a rubbish way to game items behind time or a paywall. I know a lot of us know this, but today hammered it home a bit more.

Case in point; Destiny 2 New Light/Shadowkeep.

I've put in 3,427 minutes (57.12 hours) since the launch of New Light/Shadowkeep on Xbox One and I am only level 23 on the Season of the Undying seasons rewards. With only 6 days left before the new season (or battle pass) begins Bungie wants £64.98 for the 7,700 Silver required to fully level the reward chart (100 silver per level, so two bundles of 5,000 and 3,000 required).

Now I know I haven't played this current season optimally and I'm still not soft cap at 938. However I've done a variety of things; play through old campaigns; Red War, Yr 1 DLC and Forsaken. Plenty of Festival of the Lost - Haunted Forest to earn the 950 Braytech Auto Rifle and other cosmetics. I've also run a number of world activities such as Heroic Public Events, or bounties etc.

It's interesting because the Season Pass for the recent Destiny 2 re-release has been praised for being generous. But even with over 50 hours I've not even made it to a quarter of the way through. The whole thing is so mean and miserly that it makes me want to play the remaining campaign and then simply be done with the game. And like so many MTX even the price to complete the season pass is way too greedy. Basically there is no point in bothering with the season pass when so much of it is time or pay gated.

Comment

Yep, when it comes to the myriad of MTX options that developers and publishers are utilising now (especially as they slowly see themselves forced to move away from Loot Boxes) it's essentially a case of players needing to start focusing solely on meaningful content that would qualify as permanent substantial DLC like expansions. Anything that you pay for that doesn't constitute that level of return is just dead money.

I've not been good at sticking with Destiny 2 in the way Bungie have designed it to be but once the main missions are done I'll be wrapping it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                Yep, when it comes to the myriad of MTX options that developers and publishers are utilising now (especially as they slowly see themselves forced to move away from Loot Boxes)
                                I'm not convinced there is a huge movement away from lootboxes just yet. Maybe a snail pace crawl. I mean Destiny 2 still sells Loot Boxes on top of buy-to-play game, battle pass, in-game cash shop, special editions and pre-order bonuses. It's this layering of business model on top of business model on top of business model...that has become so repulsive.

But otherwise yep, it makes sense to simply ignore the D2 battle pass. Without a reasonable grind or a price to complete, then I simply won't bother with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X