Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    https://paulbutler.org/2021/play-to-...bull****-jobs/

Argh you’ll have to copy and paste due to swear filters. Worth a read though.
    Great article and sums up exactly my thoughts on Axie Infinity and other play-to-earn 'games'. I've read a lot of credulous takes on these from relatively august tech news sources, which has really surprised me. It seems obvious that for someone to take money out of the game, a lot of others must be putting money in. There is nothing of actual intrinsic value being produced by the 'labour' of players.

Comment

Ubisoft is pushing ahead with NFTs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        Ubisoft is pushing ahead with NFTs.

https://www.polygon.com/22906525/ubi...nfts-interview
        Honestly they're in the toilet, PR-wise. They can't go much lower. This is like when a car company has an emissions scandal; they then do like 5 product recalls in the following month because the situation can't really get worse and people have short memories.

I suspect they've just decided to bank on the idea that people don't care. I hope they're wrong.

Comment

It's amazing how hard they fought off that takeover just to come out the other end as being worse than the thing they fended off

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            It's amazing how hard they fought off that takeover just to come out the other end as being worse than the thing they fended off
            You mean with Vivendi?

I'm not sure what the deal is with Ubi and Vivendi. Like IIRC that takeover saga has been going for a decade.

Comment

Vivendi seemed at one point to effectively be on the tip of a bit of a hostile take over leading Ubisoft to start doing anything and everything it could to hoover up shares in order to stoen wall the effort. There was a lot of chatter from them about stopping a corporate body taking them over, them losing creative control etc and yet here we are now knowing Ubisoft was deep down that hole already with an extra toxic sprinkle on top. Feels like the whole thing is more about which CEO survives than it is the company itself.

Comment

Having sleep walked into this trouble, Team 17 backs out of their NFT plans

Comment

EA boss Andrew Wilson has said that the FIFA and Apex Legends publisher is not currently looking to get into the NFT bu…

EA cools its jets too

Comment

Activision made a record $5.1 billion from microtransactions in 2021

Comment

*leaves hobby*

Comment

Throws up in mouth.

Comment

Like I said on the Xbox thread. Does MS just carry on with the MTX and take the cash, or do they move away from having a first party studio riddled with MTX?

Comment

"Guys, we made a sweet five point one bill last year in microtransactions last year. I know, I know that's great, I know I'm driving a bit faster in my upgraded Bugatti! Ha, but seriously - we need to make a game first to sell those microtransactions.

How can we just sell microtransactions without having to pay to make a game?"

Why Video Game Makers See Huge Potential In Blockchain—And Why Problems Loom For Their New NFTs

Comment

Bearing in mind as well, that profit comes in the same year that the new Call of Duty underperformed

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                                Bearing in mind as well, that profit comes in the same year that the new Call of Duty underperformed
                                Not that new new one? That wasn't included in those stats as it came out after.

I can't remember the name of it, so I'll make it up.

Call Of Duty: Blast Zone

Comment

Working...
                                X