No announcement yet.

Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll be a dip in share value on the next result then, MS missed a trick there

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      Like I said on the Xbox thread. Does MS just carry on with the MTX and take the cash, or do they move away from having a first party studio riddled with MTX?
      They absolutely lean into the MTX.

GamePass. People getting games for free. Sooner or later those are going to have all sorts of schemes to try and raise revenue.

Comment

Paramount to launch Star Trek NFTs.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
          Paramount to launch Star Trek NFTs.

https://startrek.xyz/
          ****ing Ferengi

Comment

I mean, this could have been posted in several threads, but I thought this thread was particularly apt.

BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month
            The auto industry is racing towards a future full of microtransactions

"BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.

A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415."

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415."
              The bit which galls me the most about the whole situation is that doesn't even include a repair if the feature breaks.
              Last edited by Asura; 27-07-2022, 07:43.

Comment

This cyberpunk future really sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  This cyberpunk future really sucks.
                  I guess it was supposed to

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I mean, this could have been posted in several threads, but I thought this thread was particularly apt.

BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month
                    The auto industry is racing towards a future full of microtransactions
                    Wait, August 1st is coming up, not April 1st.
                    This has got to be a joke, right? I mean, what the actual ****!?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      No, it's absolutely real.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        Nope its 100% real, will be minutes until garages have hacked the feature permanently on however, its literally going to be an (if paid/not) then (on/off) in the code, then disable the online connection.

Even still it’s absolutely disgusting, bmw customers will surely riot over it.
                        Last edited by fishbowlhead; 27-07-2022, 12:12.

Comment

Its a way for people who don't want to pay for heated seats at the dealer to get them pay as you go its genius as they have taken the brighthouse model of finance and applied it to luxury goods,

The heated seat part must be in every new BMW if you can just sign up to it after purchase via subscription so its either a cheap enough system to basically write large numbers of them off, or they built the cost of this thing into the manufacturing already. Added extras on cars is a dealership racket its like real world dlc.
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 28-07-2022, 07:42.

Comment

Yeah I read this story the other day. It instinctively feels wrong that you should be software locked out of hardware that's in your possession.

Comment

Back in the day some CNC machine tools would come with 8K of RAM. You could pay several grand for the 16K upgrade whereupon an "engineer" would come out and move a jumper to enable the extra 8k that was already there. Not a new racket!

Comment

Epic has been fined $520m for unfair and misleading practices to 'dupe' people into Loot box purchases in Fortnite. Those 'people' mainly being kids.

Just to add some examples sited in the law suite.
                                Purchases can be made during the loading screen, with it accepting commands from the keyboard/controller, without the persons consent.
                                A preview items screen defaults to confirm purchase were the cancel button was.
                                'Dark Patterns' used to make it overly difficult to back out from the store, but one click away from purchase.
                                Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 20-12-2022, 06:15.

Comment

Working...
                                X