User Tag List

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Also, you really think publishers would stop filling games with season passes, loot boxes and microtransactions if they raised the entry point to 60+?

Pull the other one, it makes King Kong fall out of the sky onto Andrew Wilson's noggin.

It's all in the delivery. In theory cosmetic ones in a game such as BF5 are alright as the season pass has been abandoned. I'm not going to buy loot boxes so in those terms they're a perk that's saved me 35 on a season pass. I barely even notice they exist in COD, I wish they'd abandon season passes.

They slip over the line so easily though. Personally, I've no idea why people would want to pay for a loot box as opposed to simply buying the DLC you actually want via microtransaction. It's like consumers are actively chasing the crappest buying method they can.

Ha! Good. Hopefully theres a European version of these games without the lootboxes.

Good news! At the simplest level publishers may just avoid Belgium (and/or Holland) but there is still more change coming before this storm is over.

That lootbox thing only affects titles where the boxes have tradeable contents, though - so if you can get a skin from the box that you could sell for real money. It's a step towards improvements to protect consumers, certainly, but it still maintains a particular distinction - it only affects stuff that has real-money application, and is "gambling" in the greater accepted sense.

No, I don't think that's correct for this specific news story. It's the fact certain games have been determined to be a game of chance and therefore gambling under Belgium's laws. Overwatch in one of the games, for example. So either the Publishers will have to appeal, remove their products from sale or apply for gambling licenses (I doubt this would be considered for multiple reasons, or if it's even an option but who knows).

I think we will see the end of aggressive loot boxes. It's becoming toxic. Didn't EA say recently that the star wars debacle has them shaken and looking to avoid a repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgear View Post
    No, I don't think that's correct for this specific news story. It's the fact certain games have been determined to be a game of chance and therefore gambling under Belgium's laws. Overwatch in one of the games, for example. So either the Publishers will have to appeal, remove their products from sale or apply for gambling licenses (I doubt this would be considered for multiple reasons, or if it's even an option but who knows).
    Ah, it appears I got mixed up between this and another story which was the day before, about the Netherlands, where their changes are limited to boxes with tradeable value.

That being said, the Belgian statement is interesting, as their definition is (probably intentionally) vague.

It's a positive move, though, regardless.