User Tag List

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
    Quote Originally Posted by Digfox View Post
    But that article bothered me at the time because I don't think it's factually 100%. Only a quick web search reveals games that have grossed more revenue (i.e. World of Warcraft for one) although to be fair the article doesn't necessarily claim that. I also think the $6bn figure is questionable because it is not clear if it includes MTX revenue. And we can't not compare it to other GaaS games when it itself is one.
    You're right, of course, in that these definitions aren't firm, so the claim that it's the single, most profitable thing ever might not hold water, but it's obviously up there and up there to the tune of "if success was measured as from here to the moon, GTA5 would be in orbit around Saturn".

GTA5's success is just sales of GTA5, and peoples' purchases within the game. The game has no movie, very little merchandise. It's pretty much just GTA5. It's crazy when you think about it. Even if WoW is comparable, that comes from things like expansions, merch, the movie, subscription costs...

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I've never played it - it's not my thing. Is World of Warcraft one single game, or a franchise / series of games?
    It's... Complicated? That's what I meant earlier in this post when I said the definition wasn't firm. WoW is the base game, several expansions (which you had to buy, up-front, at basically the cost of a game), a monthly subscription cost (not sure how much it is these days, but it used to be £7 a month), one-off purchases within the game itself and probably includes all of the merchandise revenue, of which there was a ton.

GTA's simpler in that regard because there's just the game, and then purchases within the game. It has some merchandise but nowhere near as much as WoW.

The figures for these things probably aren't available to judge. It's a bit like how League of Legends ads now say it's "probably the world's most popular game", because it's hard for them to be absolutely certain.
    Last edited by Asura; 26-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    GTA5's success is just sales of GTA5, and peoples' purchases within the game. The game has no movie, very little merchandise. It's pretty much just GTA5. It's crazy when you think about it. Even if WoW is comparable, that comes from things like expansions, merch, the movie, subscription costs...
    I don't think so, because the $9.4bn figure for WoW is a Superdata report which doesn't includes Merchandising or licensing from the Movie. GTA V/Online and WoW are live services which are making money from initial 'box' sales and recursive spending, even if the business models are slightly different. So in that sense very comparable.

As I say it's a personal bugbear with that GTA V story, as I absolutely agree with the points you made. GTA V/Online is absolutely right up there, just with the huge sums the Housers were taking, employee numbers I'm not sure it's absolutely number one in 'profitability' - I think that title is probably Riot Games's/Tencent's or Blizzard's. I think people do get hung up on GTA V just being one game (not you btw) but in reality they are all doing the same thing. GTA V/Online didn't get to where it did without significant MTX sales.
    Last edited by Digfox; 26-05-2020 at 06:56 PM.

Someone needs to load up fifa and put a one armed Bandit next to it and ask them to shovel money in to both and see what what the difference is.

Well if I put £100 into a one arm bandit I may get a cash payout of £1 to £100.
    I put £100 into FIFA Ultimate Team I may get virtual card with Lionel Messi‘s face on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

Loot boxes: Lords call for 'immediate' gambling regulation

The House of Lords Gambling Committee says video game loot boxes should be regulated under gambling laws.

The Lords say they should be classified as "games of chance" - which would bring them under the Gambling Act 2005.

"If a product looks like gambling and feels like gambling, it should be regulated as gambling," their report says.

And they warn that such a change should not wait.

"The government must act immediately to bring loot boxes within the remit of gambling legislation and regulation," said a statement accompanying the report.

Loot boxes have long been controversial in video games. They offer players a chance at a randomised reward when opened. To further complicate matters, boxes can often be bought for real money, and the rewards can sometimes be traded.

Lord Grade, chairman of the committee, told BBC Breakfast that lots of other countries have already started to regulate loot boxes because "they can see the dangers" which is teaching "kids to gamble".

He said the Gambling Act was "way behind what was actually happening in the market" but he added that the "overwhelming majority" of the report's recommendations "could be enacted today" as they don't require legislation.

I said it before, as soon as you are forced to put Fifa behind a counter and only sell it to adults is when loot boxes become poison to publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityChimp View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

Loot boxes: Lords call for 'immediate' gambling regulation

The House of Lords Gambling Committee says video game loot boxes should be regulated under gambling laws.

The Lords say they should be classified as "games of chance" - which would bring them under the Gambling Act 2005.

"If a product looks like gambling and feels like gambling, it should be regulated as gambling," their report says.

And they warn that such a change should not wait.

"The government must act immediately to bring loot boxes within the remit of gambling legislation and regulation," said a statement accompanying the report.

Loot boxes have long been controversial in video games. They offer players a chance at a randomised reward when opened. To further complicate matters, boxes can often be bought for real money, and the rewards can sometimes be traded.

Lord Grade, chairman of the committee, told BBC Breakfast that lots of other countries have already started to regulate loot boxes because "they can see the dangers" which is teaching "kids to gamble".

He said the Gambling Act was "way behind what was actually happening in the market" but he added that the "overwhelming majority" of the report's recommendations "could be enacted today" as they don't require legislation.

So which MPís kid spent 10k on gambling in fifa to prompt this then?

Interestingly had an email about this from the 'Petition to extend gambling laws to cover lootboxes' on the parliament website. Must have signed it at some point.

Full reports from the Lords committee on that link too in case anyone was interested.