Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
    So yeah typical mobile game but what was making me crazy is the people i respected playing it and not calling them out for it
    Yeah, you can never depend on YouTubers to only promote good stuff, unless they're already in the "making millions a year" category where if they refuse 90% of the offers, they'll still make millions. Everyone on relatively normal wages has to promote literally everything they get.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Yeah, you can never depend on YouTubers to only promote good stuff, unless they're already in the "making millions a year" category where if they refuse 90% of the offers, they'll still make millions. Everyone on relatively normal wages has to promote literally everything they get.
      Yup and I know when people promote Raid shadow legends it is through gritted teeth.....it is not a good game at all but i know how much they can pay for a 60 second ad. And tbh they would pay more then my youtube channel has earned in 5 years so even i would be tempted.

You can tell the people who need the sponsorship to those who do not as far as ad revenue goes it is very roughly 1 euro for every 1000 views

Comment

EA Sports FC 24 players are fuming at an Ultimate Team mode card pack costing around £30. The Elite Season Opener Pack …

Have sympathy

Because I have none to spare

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://www.eurogamer.net/ea-sports-...team-card-pack
          Have sympathy
          Because I have none to spare
          Honestly; have they thought about JUST NOT BUYING FIFA?

No, they haven't. Because they want FIFA. This isn't about some social issue or political problem; it's a bloody videogame! Largely the same as the one you bought last year! JUST DON'T BUY IT.

Comment

The kicker is that (game quality argument aside), football game fans have supported not just full priced iterations for decades but also a narrowing of the market progressively down to the point where EA has a monopoly on it. All largely because of having some updated FIFA stats each year and now they're at a point where the FIFA part of the game no longer exists and EA have nothing in their way to sway them from absolutely rinsing fans.

I mean, is there really any reason at all that fans can't just stick with FIFA 23 and force EA's hand? Would they be denying themselves anything at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              I mean, is there really any reason at all that fans can't just stick with FIFA 23 and force EA's hand? Would they be denying themselves anything at all?
              I think it's just that history has shown that people aren't discerning enough with media products.

Like... Everyone bitched (at EA, even!) for Battlefront 3's in-game transactions and loot crates. But they still bought the game, while Titanfall 2, a game marketed on not having those things, struggled.

This is why you can't trust what people say about IAPs.

Comment

It's like if people happily shelled out £70 on a new Call of Duty that just had old maps in it instead of all new ones!

Oh.

Comment

I think I’ve missed some meetings on this, but why are they paying for players anyway? Can’t you edit them any more? Or is it something that only affects online-only?

I still play some ancient version of PES on the PS3 with the missus sometimes (2014 off the top of my head), but I know that FIFA was similar. I’m not really into football so my team is just made up of complete weirdos. My star striker is Hamburglar, the goalie is Ronald McDonald, the rest of the team either look like circus freaks or men who hang around near swimming baths. There’s also a painstaking recreation of a local real man who has twice been sent to prison for bothering horses.

Beyond that, I can change all the stats of everything from running speed to stamina to goal celebration animation – make some superhuman player who has 99 everything and does backflips every time he scores (or sneakily go into my missus’ team and make the goalie useless). I can edit every existing player and team in the same way, or even add new players and whole new teams from scratch. Import images to have the right sponsors on team shirts. You can even go as far as replacing all the crowd chants with team-specific ones (or use a CD full of Coldseal Windows jingles like I did). About the only thing you couldn’t do was physically edit the stadiums.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I think it's just that history has shown that people aren't discerning enough with media products.

Like... Everyone bitched (at EA, even!) for Battlefront 3's in-game transactions and loot crates. But they still bought the game, while Titanfall 2, a game marketed on not having those things, struggled.

This is why you can't trust what people say about IAPs.
                    I seem to remember Battlefront 2 had an absolutely massive backlash that caused them to remove the loot crates.

Maybe I'm misremembering.

It is a shame about Titanfall 2 though as it is a decent game (and can be had for as little as £5 and worth getting for the singleplayer campaign), but that struggled due to the original game going multiple-player only and still charging buckloads.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 03-10-2023, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                      I think I’ve missed some meetings on this, but why are they paying for players anyway?
                      Because capitalism.

Jokes aside, it's difficult to break down. Short answer though is that EA effectively digitised football stickers/trading cards, and everything that goes with them.

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      I seem to remember Battlefront 2 had an absolutely massive backlash that caused them to remove the loot crates.
                      It did. But it sold millions before that, and they only removed it because people appealed to Disney, and Disney were worried their license to EA was involving them with gambling, and they put pressure on EA. EA's shareholders got nervous. It wasn't really about positive things for the end-user. The game really needed to fail for that, and it didn't.

I can guarantee you that EA's board sees the entire fiasco as an enormous success. You can't buy that kind of publicity.

In fairness though, the Battlefront backlash was one of the few times that a decent number of people complained about this stuff. The problem you're always dealing with, with IAPs, is that on the one hand, publishers can see a nebulous swarm of angry people on Twitter and Reddit; and then they have an exact itemised spreadsheet of every purchase made in the game, with breakdowns of every user, who much the average user spends, etc. And when that spreadsheet shows literally millions of people spending money, it can be easy for them to just tune out the few hundred on Reddit. Battlefront got to a point where that was a few thousand people, which was more than you usually expect.
                      Last edited by Asura; 04-10-2023, 07:21.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

Maybe I'm misremembering.

It is a shame about Titanfall 2 though as it is a decent game (and can be had for as little as £5 and worth getting for the singleplayer campaign), but that struggled due to the original game going multiple-player only and still charging buckloads.
                        This is why we can’t have nice things.

Comment

Comment

Wow, I can't believe their season progression isn't server-based.

Comment

I cant believe people bought the game in the first place let along garbage micro transactions as well.

Comment

Not exactly gaming related, but still pertinent: Crunhyroll is ending the Funimation streaming service on April 2nd, and whatever digital copy Funimation users purchased will end up as vapourware.

Comment

Working...
                                X