No announcement yet.

Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was literally just posting about the 'Surprise Mechanics' story.

In addition also some wonderful ignorant/apathetic response to UK MPs in the same Commons Committee: https://www.theguardian.com/games/20...e_iOSApp_Other

But neither Pence nor his colleague, director of marketing Matthew Weissinger, could answer more direct questions about how many users were playing the game an unhealthy amount.

“We think it’s difficult to have a categorical understanding of what that is given it varies from time to time and person to person,” Pence said.

Weissinger declined to reveal the game’s average revenue per player, arguing that it was a trade secret, but then appeared to confuse himself over other data points. At one point, when committee chair Damian Collins asked how Epic defined frequent players, Weissinger said they were “someone who’s played within the last two weeks, or 30 days”.
    When Collins then asked how much time frequent players spent playing Fortnite, Weissinger said that it was “difficult” to define a frequent player, leaving the MP baffled.

Collins declared his disbelief at Epic’s claims of ignorance. “This is a game which makes money out of people playing it,” he said, “and this sort of basic information is something that will be gathered and analysed all the time, so I don’t believe that you don’t know it. For me, it arouses the suspicion that this is not something we can discuss. Of course it will vary, but I’m sure you have an idea of what the answer to these questions are.”

The MP looked more surprised when Pence responded by taking issue with his choice of words. Pence said: “I don’t think it’s accurate to define Epic as making money from people playing the game.” “You’re not a charity,” responded Collins.
    Feels responses like that are just making legislation inevitable.

Comment

Playing the 'cover up' game at a committee like this only arouses suspicion. Hopefully they'll see this as a red flag and request a deeper investigation.

Comment

Particularly doing nothing to work on solutions after the WHO recognised gaming disorder as a psychological condition. That is going to bite them in the future. It's just a question of how big.

Comment

It's fun seeing them get dragged over the coals.
          I hope when they are hit with legislation they are told 'it's not legislation, it's' 'surprise customer protection' !'

Comment

A new day and a new low. Seems yesterday it all kicked off about unskippable adverts being patched into NBA 2K19 which can't be switched off in-game. Some suggestions it might be a bug but 2K have yet to respond.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nskippable-ads

Whilst loading advertisements in the NBA 2K franchise aren't new, the sudden flood of irate messages across Reddit and social media (thanks, Nintendo Life) concerning 2K19 intimates either a bug or an upswing in the number of advertisements playing.
            If you've found the adverts troublesome, Reddit mod yyy2k reminded players they can turn off "2KTV" in the main menu settings. "2KTV is over for the season anyways and if you want to watch it for the VC you can always go directly to it's section in the game," they said. However, I've just tested this myself and despite deselecting 2KTV in the main menu, a loading screen ad rolled nonetheless. Insert shrug emoji here.
            Last edited by Digfox; 25-06-2019, 09:09.

Comment

Do we know what the ads are and where they come from? Are they for 2K products and are baked into media? Or are they for 3rd party products and come through some server so can change over time? I guess what I'm asking is: are they akin to trailers on a DVD or like godawful ads served up on the internet?

Comment

They're for the the TV series “Snowfall” which is about the rise of crack cocaine in Los Angeles, which presumably the decision makers at 2K are using.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Do we know what the ads are and where they come from? Are they for 2K products and are baked into media? Or are they for 3rd party products and come through some server so can change over time? I guess what I'm asking is: are they akin to trailers on a DVD or like godawful ads served up on the internet?
                  You’ll never guess what happened next!

Comment

Note that such a mistake doesn't involve accidentally disabling the ads; instead it involves them not going away.

It's a bit like how YouTube videos occasionally fail to play, but I've never seen a YouTube ad fail.

Comment

No way this is a bug, it's by design.

Comment

Do we know what the ads are and where they come from?
                        Unfortunately I don't think anyone has done that level of analysis. Eurogamer just reported someones findings on Reddit as per usual.

From what I can see ads have been used in the game before, but it is the ramp up in frequency and the fact they are unskippable (so the game has loaded) that has caused this uproar. Upper Echelon Gamer on YouTube mentioned brands like Converse. I would assume it is content served up from a server to make sure the ads are relevant rather than baked into the original game.

Comment

That probably answers the question though. They're very much 3rd party ads to generate more revenue rather than being able to claim they are just promos for their own related stuff you might like (which yes, I realise are also ads but people seem to make that distinction - like actively watching a game trailer, for example).

Comment

Think they have mentioned TV show ads for Snowfall

I would love to know how this all works with a M rated tv show being advertised in a E rated game

Comment

Greasy sticky fingered little office jockeys trying to skin the last bit of dna, let alone flesh, from the corpse of the game.

Slow clap.

Every single person who owns this game should instantly trade it in and never buy another 2k product again.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                                I would love to know how this all works with a M rated tv show being advertised in a E rated game
                                Trailers and ads are, themselves, rated. You can go to the cinema and see an ad for a 12A movie whilst watching a PG film, as long as the trailer itself is PG rated.

Comment

Working...
                                X