PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Went for Batman too since it’s cheap, I’ll have a look at what the fuss is all about later.
    I just finished it and it's absolutely fantastic.

I get the issues. I mean, it is short (my leisurely run, where I stopped frequently just to look at stuff) was certainly under 2 hours. If you paid too much for it, I could understand if you were a bit critical, as I believe it'll have near-zero replay value (except the vicarious experience of watching others, which will be great fun).

That being said, while it lasts, it's just wonderful. Spoilers follow, strong recommendation to not read these unless you're definitely never playing it or have already finished a run through:

There were a few stand-out moments, but I think my favourite part had to be the moment you look at the Joker's face through the door of his cell, then when you lean back, you and he have switched places. That one really threw me. I thought it was all going to be a Scarecrow illusion (which, from my own experience of the Arkham games, I suspect was perhaps considered at one point during the game's creation) but either way, I thought it was awesome.

I've been playing videogames for over 30 years now, and it's reached a point where I very rarely say "wow" anymore while playing a game. This made me do that several times within those two hours. There were things in it that really threw me, both in terms of immersion/presence/agency within the virtual environment, and in terms of the sheer cleverness of the scenario design. It really was wonderful. I would happily pay as much again for another "chapter".

That being said, I'm not blind to the "be careful what you wish for" angle on this one. Had it been a 20-hour experience, I don't know if it would've worn thin; the nice thing about this game is that every segment is creative and feels unique.

In any case, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Comment

Thats the thing with vr games one half of me wants them to be huge games & skyrim fits this wish but viewing a stereoscopic display for hours at a time can take it's toll. I only played for an hour or so but when i took off the headset i did feel my eyes pulling a bit and my vision was a bit off. Bit like if you look at a lightbulb when it's on & then look away. It quickly went away but i imagine it been amplified the more hours you are inside. I have a similar thing if i play 3DS too long with the slider on max.

If a game is a smaller experience at a few hours i'm happy to go for it as long as the price reflects that. Same when i play iOS games an hour or so's gaming fun thats decent quality is more than worth a few quid. I had a lot of fun watching the psvr Hatsune Miku future live concert, it's very short but the fun of been inside her world and watching her sing was awesome it felt strangely real inside that arena, totally planning on buying the stages to watch the rest of the concert when xmas comes. It was like a reverse of the real live concerts where they bring her to our world to sing, instead i got to go inside and see her digital world instead. Im pleased to see there's quite a few puzzle playground style of games, looking forward to those the most. There's another called form VR coming in the near future that looks extremely cool.

Comment

Has anyone tried watching 360-degree videos on this thing? Like the YouTube ones that normally work with Google Cardboard? I watched a few of those on my phone (roller-coasters, that sort of thing) and there were a couple of good ones.

Comment

Conversely, I just tried Raw Data, and I've seen how something that should be good can be affected by design issues. I think with VR, even more than with regular games, you really notice if something isn't "slick", much more than regular videogames. Stuff just has to work.

Anyway, in order...

1. Booted the game
          2. Was offered options for how to do the movement. There are two options, but one of them is disabled? So why offer the options here? Apparently the second one unlocks after the tutorial. So show me the choice then!
          3. I wasn't standing up. The game never told me I should be standing. So the game calibrated me in the sitting posture as head height. I couldn't change this until after the tutorial, but I thought I'd just muddle through.
          4. Got into the game, and it uses teleport movement with buttons to rotate the view in 90 degree increments... But you can rotate 45 in some scenarios. I ended up in a situation where, due to the tutorial beats, I was in a square room but rotated 45 degrees and only able to rotate in 90 degree increments; the game was showing me things and I had to constantly look left or right to see them.
          5. Was told to do the pistol tutorial. Went to the area to do it. Hit the button to start it too fast which caused the tutorial to screw up, playing voice samples over each other and not registering I'd completed the tutorial.
          6. Had this happen all the way through the different weapon tutorials, e.g. with the swords, I killed an enemy and was then told to kill the next enemy with the sword.
          7. Due to the height thing I struggled to reach for one of the weapons at my hip, which caused me to die, which also screwed up that tutorial, but I eventually got it to end.
          8. Couldn't reach my sword over my shoulder; the tracking would lose as I reached for it.
          9. Same with the shotgun.
          10. The shotgun and sword aiming were poor, but I'm willing to chalk this up to the height thing.
          11. After all that, the game didn't record that I'd done the tutorials because I had to first use a floating in-world menu to accept the mission to do the tutorials before doing them. Evidently I'd moved off to do them before this thing appeared (because I moved the moment the game said to do the tutorial).
          12. Considered doing them again, but as I couldn't recalibrate the height. I was done. Turned the bloody thing off.

It might be a good game (certainly I enjoyed the demo) but this was a real shambles, which felt particularly bad after playing Arkham VR.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
            I’d like to try that apollo landing game, on offer at the mo too.
            Its pretty cool tbh

Comment

Ignoring these bugs, the game itself is super fun!!

Set it up to test it worked for a few hours, then packed it away again for Christmas.

Thoughts;

- Jesus Christ that setup- so many wires and plugging/unplugging.
              - When you get it working, it’s ace. A first moment where you put it on and you’re looking around a gameworld- makes it all worth it.
              - I haven’t the biggest living room, so trying to play Superhot was hard sitting down, as I can’t bend down to reach guns as I go behind the coffee table, or it’s like I’m trying to reach through the sofa.
              - When I got it working in a small place, Superhot.
              - Raw Data was fun too.
              - Missus likes Rush of Blood and VR Worlda shark experience

Didn’t try much else, but looking forward to playing it all again, hopefully I’ll be in a bigger space when I do... just not looking forward to the setup.

Comment

Pretty amazing deal. I've read somewhere that the PS4 Slim too will come down to $199 this week
                Last edited by Nico87; 18-11-2018, 09:02.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                  Ignoring these bugs, the game itself is super fun!!

Set it up to test it worked for a few hours, then packed it away again for Christmas.

Thoughts;

- Jesus Christ that setup- so many wires and plugging/unplugging.
                  - When you get it working, it’s ace. A first moment where you put it on and you’re looking around a gameworld- makes it all worth it.
                  - I haven’t the biggest living room, so trying to play Superhot was hard sitting down, as I can’t bend down to reach guns as I go behind the coffee table, or it’s like I’m trying to reach through the sofa.
                  - When I got it working in a small place, Superhot.
                  - Raw Data was fun too.
                  - Missus likes Rush of Blood and VR Worlda shark experience

Didn’t try much else, but looking forward to playing it all again, hopefully I’ll be in a bigger space when I do... just not looking forward to the setup.
                  Ye the wires stuff prevents me plugging my PSVR in more. Really excited to play Astro bot when cash allows and before that Tetris Effect and Ace Combat 7 in 2019 plus Blood and Wine which is like VR Worlds Gansta mode expanded. I really love Super Hot it is amazing find it quite difficult sometimes though.
                  Last edited by JU!; 18-11-2018, 09:21.

Comment

Just took a trip through Area X in Rez and I still can't think of a better video game experience.

I agree with the above thoughts on Batman re: the game length. With VR I like to have my mind blown for half an hour. Walking through the world of Skyrim or something like that doesn't really interest me at this stage.

Haven't played anything with the Move controllers (no charging leads in new packs???) yet but I have Superhot, Rush of Blood and a couple of others downloaded ready for some fancy shooting. I've also been watching some vids of Beat Sabre ... it looks ace but pretty demanding.

Right now it's all about Rez and Tetris though. These are the experiences I wanted to have with VR and they totally get me in the zone

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] Maybe check out Polybius too. That one runs at a native 120fps; no frame tweening.

Comment

Cheers @Brad. I've actually got Polybius, and I'm a big fan of Jeff Minter, but it feels almost too intense. I don't feel any adverse effects after playing or anything but for some reason it feels borderline hazardous I'd forgotten about it actually ... I'll re-d/l it and see if I'm feeling braver.

One title I am fearful of trying is Wipeout. I haven't experienced any motion sickness in VR yet but it seems most players have to get through an initial barrier of quease-factor and I just don't know if I want to do that. Maybe if it's cheap anytime I'll give it a go ... but I'd want to be able to just play it from the get-go.

I ordered an official case for the headset yesterday. Thought £8.99 for the official licensed one was pretty good value: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Officially-...tation+vr+case

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                          One title I am fearful of trying is Wipeout. I haven't experienced any motion sickness in VR yet but it seems most players have to get through an initial barrier of quease-factor and I just don't know if I want to do that. Maybe if it's cheap anytime I'll give it a go ... but I'd want to be able to just play it from the get-go.
                          I think people over-state this.

Wipeout might be a bit of a roller-coaster, but in-game, you have the ground effect of the cockpit to make things a bit easier.

Comment

No motion sickness on wipeout for me , a little disoriented at times , no biggie though

Comment

I bought the Starter Pack with Astro Bot and Doom VFR for £179.99 including delivery. It was an Amazon deal I couldn't resist. I just hope I enjoy what VR has to offer. I will also try GTS and Polybius with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                I bought the Starter Pack with Astro Bot and Doom VFR for £179.99 including delivery. It was an Amazon deal I couldn't resist. I just hope I enjoy what VR has to offer. I will also try GTS and Polybius with it.
                                So made up you got it, AstroBot is so amazing and a real Mario 64 type moment and experience, Please buy REZ next, Aera X is the best experience in modern gaming . So happy to see [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] got VR again too

Comment

Working...
                                X