PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    Era's immediately jumping down the 'MS will announce a VR platform any minute now' line, um... nope.
    Likewise with talk of Alyx being ported, I think it could come but the onus would be on Sony to push hard for it and front costs etc as I very much doubt Valve could care less about porting a game that was built on its strengths to sell Index units. If Valve were making it for the $$$ they would have just made Half-Life 3.
    Normally I'd agree, but the margins for VR are so low that I think they will port Alyx once enough time has passed.

I mean a comparable situation is Vader Immortal, a game which was entirely funded by Oculus to sell their hardware, but is available on the PSVR anyway because it was just money-on-the-table not to release it.

I think they'll do it because (this is a divisive prediction) I think Facebook will, within a year, cut off Oculus Link's support for SteamVR, or do something to screw up Oculus support for Steam, because at present, the existince of that functionality is of no value to Oculus. It used to be to sell more headsets, but Oculus Quest 2 has become Facebook's new big seller and they have no need of it - it actively harms them at this stage. Like Oculus Link will become just for those who have purchased Oculus store exclusives (which will dry up) and developers, who will need to pay a fee of some sort. The Quest 1&2 are collectively by far the most popular headsets on Steam right now.
    Last edited by Asura; 24-02-2021, 12:11.

Comment

I can believe Facebook will do that but also that it'll torpedo Oculus in doing so.

Comment

One thing is for sure... Good time to sell my psvr.

Comment

Yep, I've got multiple games I want to play first but once they're done in the coming months it'll definitely be time to sell it on and wait to see what PSVR2 arrives like

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Normally I'd agree, but the margins for VR are so low that I think they will port Alyx once enough time has passed.

I mean a comparable situation is Vader Immortal, a game which was entirely funded by Oculus to sell their hardware, but is available on the PSVR anyway because it was just money-on-the-table not to release it.

I think they'll do it because (this is a divisive prediction) I think Facebook will, within a year, cut off Oculus Link's support for SteamVR, or do something to screw up Oculus support for Steam, because at present, the existince of that functionality is of no value to Oculus. It used to be to sell more headsets, but Oculus Quest 2 has become Facebook's new big seller and they have no need of it - it actively harms them at this stage. Like Oculus Link will become just for those who have purchased Oculus store exclusives (which will dry up) and developers, who will need to pay a fee of some sort. The Quest 1&2 are collectively by far the most popular headsets on Steam right now.
            Even if they stop official support their are ways around everything, my windows headset has no official support yet i can install vive and oculus software via a third party developed plugin. The pc market is wide open with everything being pretty interchangeable.

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Era's immediately jumping down the 'MS will announce a VR platform any minute now' line, um... nope.
            Likewise with talk of Alyx being ported, I think it could come but the onus would be on Sony to push hard for it and front costs etc as I very much doubt Valve could care less about porting a game that was built on its strengths to sell Index units. If Valve were making it for the $$$ they would have just made Half-Life 3.
            Microsoft have a VR platform with WMR do you mean a xbox specific headset.
            Last edited by Lebowski; 24-02-2021, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
              Even if they stop official support their are ways around everything, my windows headset has no official support yet i can install vive and oculus software via a third party developed plugin. The pc market is wide open with everything being pretty interchangeable.
              Maybe; but any Apple device can be cracked and reflashed, but most aren't. If they make it a few steps more difficult, far fewer people will engage in the practice.

Comment

Yep, just Xbox related. MS seems very blatantly headed in a direction that is the polar opposite to VR which a focus on its offerings being able to be experienced by as many people as widely as possible in as many ways possible. VR is the opposite, ringfencing content to the 2 or so million at best unit sales they'd accomplish and even if they somehow offered support to other headsets its effort on a market that just isn't worth the effort for them let alone the resources needed to be channelled into supporting it to get an extra few thousand players instead of the same effort in Game Pass adding millions.

Comment

Psvr2 dev units are going to be shipping soon.

Sony today announced that its next-generation VR headset is coming—not in 2021, but it’s definitely a thing. In an interview with GQ, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan says dev kit headsets are close to landing in the hands of developers. Ryan tells GQ in an interview that the still unnamed headset will be “a completely new …

Comment

I played Gran Tursimo Sport in VR using a steering wheel tonight and it was amazing. Looking in my mirrors. Looking through my driver's window, rear window, car interior, ah man. The addition of the steering wheel, the force feedback etc it just had me totally immersed. PSVR2 for PS5, playing GT7 is going to be nuts.

Comment

That sounds amazing [MENTION=4957]hudson[/MENTION] ... well jel of that set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        That sounds amazing @hudson ... well jel of that set-up.
                        My thoughts exactly! You got me thinking where I could set up a driving rig!

Need to crack open the PSVR as I've a few I want to play like Fisherman's Tale.

Comment

I used a fold out camping table from my sofa. Not the best set up to be honest, but it was manageable. I got a Thrustmaster T150 for 160 quid at the weekend - great compromise of quality/features and price IMO. Was playing Bus Simulator and SnowRunner and then last night I remembered! GT Sport does VR! Next minute I looked like I was in a magazine ad from the 90's for an overhyped gaming console. Feel the powah! I had a big grin on my face (and secretly praying for the missus not to come in and see me with my nerd trousers around my ankles.

btw Snowrunner with a wheel is amazing too. It's a real wrestle with the wheel (no VR tho).

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                            btw Snowrunner with a wheel is amazing too. It's a real wrestle with the wheel. (no VR tho)
                            No need for VR. For authenticity eat a sosh/egg/bac sandwich and roll a cigarette at the same time.

Comment

Doesn't really matter when you've got your VR goggles on.
                              That camping table becomes the dash of a Ferrari!

Comment

I played Gran Tursimo Sport in VR using a steering wheel tonight and it was amazing. Looking in my mirrors. Looking through my driver's window, rear window, car interior, ah man. The addition of the steering wheel, the force feedback etc it just had me totally immersed. PSVR2 for PS5, playing GT7 is going to be nuts.
                                Honestly it's become a bit of a cliche for me to say this but after playing Wipeout VR, my eyes just glaze over when I try to play a racing game on a normal TV. Racing is one of the genres which, hands-down, is just wholly improved by VR.

Comment

Working...
                                X