No announcement yet.

PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Densha De GO! PSVR footage from TGS2020 online. Looking good!

Comment

I just discovered (it may not be news to you) that Sony released a headset for PS2 way back in 2002. The catchy as hell named PUD-J5A was released only in Japan. 6 games were released for it. 3 combat flying games, a train sim, a roller coaster sim and a photography thing. It was a flop. Still very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        I'll have to spend some proper time with Pinball FX ... haven't fired up the VR for a while so it may be about time.
        Get Star Wars Squadrons mate its ace in VR, thought I do get issue with a back screen now and again
        I'm also enjoyed that Venice VR demo too

Comment

What kind of back screen?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
            What kind of back screen?
            Usually the game is fine for a hour or so and then it just goes completely black (like while you waiting for a PSVR game to start) but you can hear the game is still running. It's just not displaying any pictures, you have to restart to whole game to fix it . It happen to me about 5 times now, I hope EA patch it , otherwise the game is fab fun

Comment

I’ve been toying with the idea of picking a PSVR up, I’ve got a PS4 Pro that gets used occasionally, and all the talk of the new generation of consoles has got me excited about gaming again and realise there’s plenty left to try on the current gen before investing in the new one.

I don’t have a powerful PC nor anywhere to keep one to use with VR. In fact, I don’t have a massive front room at all, I game on a relatively small 32” 1080p HDR screen, sat on the floor in front of it! Hmmm, now I realise this is redundant info when using a headset, I guess I’d be sat about 7 feet away from it on the sofa as I believe you don’t move around right? There isn’t a lot of room.

I read the camera needs to be relatively high up, does this mean it needs to be at your head height when using it?

I foolishly sold my move controllers years ago, and they still seem to sell for a lot of money, how necessary are they - should I be looking to get some from the offset or wait and see if I think it necessary?

I’m thinking of asking Santa for a starter kit, but if I go second hand I should be looking to pickup the newer model to give me HDR pass through on the control unit right? And for it to work if I do later decide to get a PS5 (if/when they release a slim model probably, space is at a premium!). I wonder if people upgrading to PS5 will be dumping their PSVR too and there might be a bargain to be had.

How easy is it to swap players so others could have a go - do you need to tweak it (apart from headsize of course). I’ve read reviews that say it’s good for people who wear specs, what are peoples opinions of that here?

Man, that’s a lot of questions - apologies, once I start asking questions my brain goes into overdrive. Any answers welcome, I guess I’m looking for confirmation it’s not a waste of time and money and there’s enough good content for it that’ll work in a relatively small space.

Ta
              Pete

Comment

Happy to help top modder and fellow monkey out!

PSVR isn't perfect, but it's an amazing experience, genuinely giving me a sense of awe I've not had since gaming as a kid.

My camera is about 7 feet away and about 4 feet up, slightly lower than the headset. Tracking will eventually drift, but a press of a button resets it.

I would get more Move controllers. It really adds to the games that use them.

There must be some second-hand bargains, if you have a mooch!

I thought all versions came with a pass through box?

Pushsquare:
                "Yes, PSVR does work on PS5. ... You'll be able to use all of your existing kit to use PSVR on PS5, although you will need an adaptor to connect your existing PlayStation Camera to the next-gen console."

I don't think there'll be a new PS5 PSVR for a while, but I don't know for sure, so I don't think there'll be a sea of cheap units, more than now, anyway.

Really easy to swap the headset.
                Quite a few times I've had friends and family over and they've all had a go. A brief instruction on how to adjust the set and they're off.
                You can't focus for them, but normally they get how to get the right spot. Tighten the strap and move the eye unit. Boom.
                I've shown Shark Encounter to about 20 people now, although I always say it's just a scuba experience, so it's a surprise!

I wear glasses for short sight and have no problems wearing them and the headset.

Ultimately, I liken it to a bespoke arcade machine. It's a bit of a novelty and you won't want to play it every day, but when you do, it blows your mind.

Astro Bot has just gone to my top 10 games ever. It's astonishing in every way. I kept thinking you could prescribe it for depression, it's that lovely.

Superhot makes you feel like Neo.
                PlayStation VR Worlds is brilliant (London Heist and Shark Encounter).
                Minecraft VR is the best way to play it.
                No Man's Sky is like starring in your very own sci-fi film.
                Pinball FX2 is insanely real.
                Resident Evil 7 should come with a spare change of pants.
                Star Wars Battlefront is short but the most immersive SW experience (not played Squadrons yet).
                Statik is a brilliant puzzler that showcases VR brilliantly.
                Arizona Sunshine is janky but brilliant, especially in co-op.
                Ultrawings is Pilot Wings in VR.
                Rush of Blood is a roller coaster, haunted house and shooting gallery all in one.

There are other games and I’ve not played everything (Moss, Squadrons, Ace Combat 7 and Blood & Truth are on my list), but I think it's bloody brilliant and one of the best experiences you can have in modern gaming, IMHO, especially if you get yourself a bargain.

I doubt you'll beat my £4 raffle ticket, though!

Comment

Minecraft is very interesting, the Armchair mode made me laugh! But I would play in immersive mode of course.

AC7 is uninspired
                  Squadrons is pretty good, and super intense at times.
                  Dreams is now VR compatible too, although I've not played it that way yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
                    How easy is it to swap players so others could have a go - do you need to tweak it (apart from headsize of course). I’ve read reviews that say it’s good for people who wear specs, what are peoples opinions of that here?
                    It's not difficult and is simple enough to understand. The main issues I have when doing just that with a gang of friends is communication; When you're in the VR setup you're almost totally locked off and then sometimes issues with sweat, hair gel being on the front of the unit that sits on your forehead

Its great fun mind, seeing your friends reaction when playing Rush Of Blood or RE 7 and I still laugh at my partner enjoying Shark Dive in VR worlds and going on about this is amazing and why can't more games be like this, only to pants herself when the shark comes

I read the camera needs to be relatively high up, does this mean it needs to be at your head height when using it?

I foolishly sold my move controllers years ago, and they still seem to sell for a lot of money, how necessary are they - should I be looking to get some from the offset or wait and see if I think it necessary?
                    I just have mine on top of the TV and have no issues whatsoever. I would say the controllers are a bit of a must for the full experience, but they can wait most of the best games play fine with the pad.

If you got the money its totally worth it and it should be amazing for your family and friends over Christmas, more so with all the crap that's going on in the world.

Get some of these games and just enjoy life and have one of the most amazing gaming experiences ever

REZ VR
                    RE 7
                    AstroBot (even better than Mario 64)
                    Ace Combat 7
                    Rush of Blood
                    Blood and Truth
                    Star Wars Squadrons

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post

I move the camera around depending on what game I’m playing. If it’s stand up game like Farpoint I put the camera on top of the fire surround. If it’s a sit down game like Astro “Game of the Generation” Bot Rescue Mission I placed the camera on the coffee table.

The PSVR headset does seem to be pretty cheap these days but the Move controllers are holding their price well and were a ‘mare to get a hold of at the tail end of last year going into this year. Currys had the starter set for £170 in their Black Friday promotion last year IIRC.

Comment

About the "playing it with friends" thing; the PSVR is particularly good in VR headsets for this, because there's always a feed onscreen - so others in the room can see what you're doing. Some games even play with this, having other players with pads able to do stuff onscreen.

You can do this with headsets like the Quest using a Chromecast, but it isn't front-and-centre part of the device's ethos and doesn't work quite so well.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          You can do this with headsets like the Quest using a Chromecast, but it isn't front-and-centre part of the device's ethos and doesn't work quite so well.
                          You don't need a Chromecast, it'll cast directly to the Oculus app. It's a two click operation from the main menu and works great on Quest 2 due to the extra grunt.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            You don't need a Chromecast, it'll cast directly to the Oculus app. It's a two click operation from the main menu and works great on Quest 2 due to the extra grunt.

My point was that it was for friends in the same room. It's not as good an experience, asking people to huddle around a phone, though admittedly that's fine if you have one person. Plus there's a 2-second lag which creates an echo, which isn't present on the PSVR as it's totally synched up. The experience for this is objectively better on PSVR.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              My point was that it was for friends in the same room. It's not as good an experience, asking people to huddle around a phone, though admittedly that's fine if you have one person. Plus there's a 2-second lag which creates an echo, which isn't present on the PSVR as it's totally synched up. The experience for this is objectively better on PSVR.
                              There's virtually no lag at all, let alone a 2 second one - it doesn't have to be a phone, it'll cast to anything the app runs on.

Agree that the PSVR and PCVR is better for sharing, but it's vastly vastly improved on Quest 2.
                              Last edited by MartyG; 16-10-2020, 07:58.

Comment

Black Friday is a good shout, [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION].

If you are planning on having several people around (and the lockdown laws permit it...), check out "Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes", where the VR person explains the bomb in front of them to the non-VR players who have the defusal plans.
                                One player is trapped in a room with a ticking time bomb they must defuse. The other players are the “Experts” who must give the instructions to defuse the bomb by deciphering the information found in the Bomb Defusal Manual. But there’s a catch the Experts can’t see the bomb, so everyone will need to talk it out – fast Puzzle solving and communication skills – and maybe a few friendships – will be put to the test as players race to defuse bombs while communicating quickly, clearly, and effectively. • Challenging puzzles – Procedurally generated every time to keep the action fresh. • Local co-op party game – Bomb defusing is a team endeavor. Going solo is not an option • Only one copy of the game needed – If you can talk to your friends, you can play • PS VR Optional – An immersive experience, isolated from your Experts. Use the TV to view the Bomb Defusal Manual. View or print the Bomb Defusal Manual at www.bombmanual.com. Local multiplayer only. 2-4 players required. This product supports the following languages English

Also get the completely free "The Playroom VR", which has some great games that several people can play like Cat & Mouse where the VR player catches the other players' mice whilst they try and steal cheese, the excellent Kaiju/Tokutatsu game where the VR player is a giant monster chasing after the players whilst they try to escape and become superheroes, there's a Ghostbusters-style game and a fun cowboy one where the non-vr players have to describe the robocowboy that the VR player has to find in a rowdy robosaloon. There's also the first appearance of Astro Bot in a completely unique adventure that has a co-op mode the full game lacks.
                                DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller required to play this game. FREE DOWNLOAD FOR PLAYSTATION®VR OWNERS As a huge thank you for buying PlayStation®VR, we have a very cool present for you – a free digital download of THE PLAYROOM VR. Packed with six exciting games, this is the perfect way to explore and discover all the magic of virtual reality. The best part is that you can share all the fun of your VR experience with others. As one player wears the VR headset, up to four friends can join in the action on the TV screen with DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controllers. Together you can dive into competitive and cooperative games. Enjoy epic battles in Monster Escape, the hilarious antics of Cat and Mouse, a spooky adventure in Ghost House, frantic two player platformer action in Robot Rescue and a trip to the lawless Wild West in Wanted – while keeping an eye out for the cheeky little VR Bots. Compatibility Notices THE PLAYROOM VR ©2016 Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. Published by Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by JAPAN Studio. All rights reserved.

Comment

Working...
                                X