PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
    The PS5 has smoother and faster frame rates on psvr for select titles. Probably ones with no frame rate lock.
    Nice that we get a boost.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/
    I can see them doing performance patches, like they did with the Pro.

Comment

I just realised that the PSVR headset has the PS5 colours already. Mind blown.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Is Gun Club any good or a bit repetitive?
        Assuming this is the same one as on PC, it's probably worth a tenner, but there's not a lot to it and it's a bit clunky control wise. It's little more than a shooting range with different weapons, which you shoot at to get cash to buy more weapons to shoot at the ranges to get cash to buy more weapon. Ad nauseam.

Comment

re: PS5 - this is a little disappointing.

PlayStation®Camera adaptor

Connect your PlayStation®VR to your PS5 console to enjoy supported PS VR games. To set up your PS VR with your PS5 console you’ll need your PlayStation Camera* for PS4™ and a PlayStation Camera adaptor (no purchase necessary). More details on how to claim an adaptor will be shared on PlayStation.com when available.
          This is directly underneath them trying to sell you a new 'HD Camera' on the accessories page. Given the original PS4 camera came out in parallel with the launch of the machine, I'm not sure how there's anything in there that's so dedicated to VR that they couldn't do the same thing with the new camera? If they're giving the adapters away for free then that's one thing, but I'd much rather not need to have 2 cameras set up...

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            re: PS5 - this is a little disappointing.

This is directly underneath them trying to sell you a new 'HD Camera' on the accessories page. Given the original PS4 camera came out in parallel with the launch of the machine, I'm not sure how there's anything in there that's so dedicated to VR that they couldn't do the same thing with the new camera? If they're giving the adapters away for free then that's one thing, but I'd much rather not need to have 2 cameras set up...

The only silver lining of that is that it suggests they're not going to go down the Move/camera tracking route for the PS5 VR, which would be a huge step forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              The only silver lining of that is that it suggests they're not going to go down the Move/camera tracking route for the PS5 VR, which would be a huge step forwards.
              Which in turn also suggests you’ll need a PSVR headset to play older PSVR games as the PS5 VR headset will only play PS5 VR games.
              So no backward compatibility via the new headset.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                Which in turn also suggests you’ll need a PSVR headset to play older PSVR games as the PS5 VR headset will only play PS5 VR games.
                So no backward compatibility via the new headset.
                Nah, not necessarily.

Even if the tracking method changes, PSVR's controls weren't so out-there that they can't just work, with a little bit of work at Sony's end to make it more universal.

This is all hypothetical, of course, but consider how Vader Immortal has been ported to PSVR, despite starting life on Quest. I personally think the game will be a bit flawed (I wonder if this is back-handed advert for the Quest to PSVR owners, as it'll be really evident when you play it how much better it would be when wireless).

For PSVR games on a PSVR2, the user would just have to define a spot where the camera would be, and then the tracking system could evaluate to that. Just like a kind of calibration.

That being said, most of the devs would likely do ports which take advantage of the new controls & features. Very few VR games stay on one platform due to the small size of the userbases. For instance, the PSVR has a version of Raw Data, but it's quite a basic version of the game compared to the SteamVR version. They'd probably port that to PS5.

Comment

The brand new PS5 HD camera does not work with PSVR specifically, you have to ask for a camera adapter, that’s setting my alarm bells off.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                    The brand new PS5 HD camera does not work with PSVR specifically, you have to ask for a camera adapter, that’s setting my alarm bells off.
                    Not sure what you mean?

If they do VR, they have to have a tracking solution of some sort. The fashion right now is for inside-out camera tracking, which the Rift S and Quest have pretty much proven; it's not perfect but it's such a quantum leap in terms of convenience that I imagine only real enthusiast setups/industrial users will never use the old outside-in solutions again.

If they use a method like that, where the sensors are on the headset, Sony can write an abstraction layer in the OS which transposes the inputs from the PSVR2's tracking into the same format as the ones for the PSVR, and feed those to the games. The only difference the for user would probably be asking them where they want the "camera" to be; in reality there's no actual camera, but it's more about asking the user which direction they're going to face (games like Farpoint illustrate this; nearly all the game involves travelling in one direction because PSVR games should encourage the user to face the camera).

Remember, all the camera on the PS4/PSVR really cares about is the position/orientation of the headsets and Moves (and those also feed the console data from gyros/accelerometers, which is averaged out with dead-reckoning to get the final answer). If you feed the games the same inputs at the same cadence, they won't really care what type of tracking they come from.

Comment

The PlayStation 4 camera , the lights on the headset and the double sex toys are insufficient for reliable tracking, as proven by how easily the system drifts currently (I still had an awesome time with it). They need something new. The rift S is incredible. It displays where my controllers are in the real world with 100% accuracy, before they’re even turned on , and they have no lights on them. I don’t know how it does it but it’s amazing. Sony need that. Their actual headset display is right up there with £400 pc headsets but their tracking lets them down and no proper hand controllers is another negative. The aim controller is a massive win though that I wish pc had.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        The PlayStation 4 camera , the lights on the headset and the double sex toys are insufficient for reliable tracking, as proven by how easily the system drifts currently (I still had an awesome time with it). They need something new. The rift S is incredible. It displays where my controllers are in the real world with 100% accuracy, before they’re even turned on , and they have no lights on them. I don’t know how it does it but it’s amazing. Sony need that. Their actual headset display is right up there with £400 pc headsets but their tracking lets them down and no proper hand controllers is another negative. The aim controller is a massive win though that I wish pc had.
                        On the Rift/Quest, the cameras are infra-red (under an IR camera you can see the LEDs shining through the black plastic on the controllers), and I believe they oscillate with a high frequency which varies from LED to LED, so they can figure out the tracking. That's added to the acclerometers etc. in the controllers themselves.

The problem with the inside-out approach is that the controllers lose tracking if you lift them over your shoulder. This is why some of the SteamVR games, like Raw Data, have problems on Quest, because they ask you to reach over your shoulder to draw weapons, and while it works, it's glitchy and unreliable. Quest/Rift S games mainly resolve that by just not asking you to do that.

This is what I mean when I say that it's not perfect but very, very good. Generally good enough that I think the only people using the Vive-style tracking in the future will be, I dunno, people using VR to drive industrial robots, where they can NEVER, EVER lose tracking even for a moment.

But they do work fantastically well. With the headset on, you can toss a Quest/Rift controller in the air, and catch it. You can juggle with them. I spent ages trying to understand the extent of the tracking, and it's really quite amazing how consistent it is.

The PSVR's Move system shouldn't be underestimated. It's comparably low-tech, but it's, like, the ultimate implementation of what they had to work with. Those guys did an incredible job, and really deserve kudos for that. But technology has moved on, and it'd be great to see PSVR2 use newer tech.

Supposedly, leaked patent documents show Sony talking about headsets with inside out tracking, where one wide-field camera is on the rear headband of the headset. This would be great, as it would fix the aformentioned "over the shoulder" issue.

Comment

Yep. Amazing job by Sony repurposing ps3 tech for vr. The result sadly is a system that’s not good enough. As tech nerds we’ll likely try all kinds of stuff to somehow get them working but average joe is likely to say **** this, it’s broken.

Regarding rift S, I guess the outside in tracking on the older systems requires camera positioned behind you on the wall or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            Regarding rift S, I guess the outside in tracking on the older systems requires camera positioned behind you on the wall or something?
                            The exact method varies depending on the platform, but generically, it involves having "sensor towers" in the room, and is kinda similar, in some ways, to how the Wii worked with the sensor bar. With the Vive, I think you routinely have two towers, but you can have more. You don't need to have them behind you either, they just need to be able to detect the controllers, so people tend to mount them on the ceiling or top corners of a room. The "behind you" thing only becomes an issue on the Quest because the cameras are facing forwards, so your head/the Quest itself is in the way if the controllers are behind you.

It can be hard to see with these platforms because of the aformentioned "dead reckoning". When the tracking fails (which happens all the time, but just for brief moments) the system estimates where they are, based on their last known position, orientation and speed. If they were motionless, like if you put them down, the Quest knows they're motionless, and when you turn around, the headset will just move them to where it thinks they should be. You can fool it by putting them down, turning around, then having someone else move the controllers; if you turn back, you'll see a glitch where they snap back to position or something similar.

Bear in mind, the "sensor tower" approach is better for obvious reasons - if you're trying to track something in your hands, it's better to have several external observers do it, rather than something mounted to your head. Just the inside-out method is portable, fast, doesn't require you convert a room in your house into a holodeck...

Comment

According to the youtubes the patch to make minecraft VR capable drops tomorrow 22nd, not sure if thats everywhere or only the states but we shall see.

Comment

It's one of this gen's biggest mysteries - why didn't Sony release PSVR controllers?

Comment

Working...
                                X