Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Marty says though, the chances of a better deal are pretty much nonexistent. I'm actually surprised this deal looked as workable as it did - it's better than I expected for the UK. It will get worse from here. And after a no deal scenario, the UK will still have to abide by EU regulations when trading with the EU so it's not like that's going to change anything - it simply delays it until your back is up against a wall.

So yeah, the idea of cancelling Brexit can't feel so unappealing right now. But all the separate parties involved are such a mess right now. I already suspect the DUP has done themselves some serious long term damage after somehow managing to get into an influential position. These couple of years and the next few months could well come back to haunt a lot of people.

Comment

About half the country would be really happy with that.

Comment

Replying to the cancelling brexit thing btw

Comment

Live daily updates have started.

-Lib Dems and the Green Party will be voting against the deal
          -Labours stance is that the deal fails all six of its tests meaning they cannot vote in favour of it. To pass the Deal it looks like May would need to convince a significant portion of the party to rebel against itself and back her.
          -The Northern Island Minister has resigned in objection to May's Deal

Comment

Now Dominic Raab, the Brexit Secretary, has become the second person to resign over the deal.

Comment

LOL - how long did he last? 2 months? Bet he didn't even make the most of his expenses fiddling whilst travelling in the EU.

Comment

Iain Duncan-Smith has said that the effects of having Raab quit today will be 'devastating'

Comment

Really? The man who didn't realise the importance of the Dover-Calais trade route to the UK?

Comment

I would have thought it was integral to his job to get things to a position where he wouldn't want to resign at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Also how the UK seems to be sliding to a two-party system.
                      Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      I already suspect the DUP has done themselves some serious long term damage after somehow managing to get into an influential position. These couple of years and the next few months could well come back to haunt a lot of people.
                      I'm not a staunch Lib Dem, but it frustrates me that they've gone from being joint-leaders to absolutely nothing.
                      It's not even like they had the bung to sweeten the deal like the DUP had.

The Green Party have also had some good policies and have become a party worth hearing out.

However, it's more and more like America, with only two choices.
                      Now people are voting more tactically than ever to keep who they dislike the most out, rather than vote in the ones who have the best policies.

I also hate that it's the person who seems to shout loudest who gets heard, so the noisiest, self-serving pricks like Farage, Johnson and Gove get the headlines.
                      It should be about policies, not who would make a lovely Prime Minister, telling Johnny Foreigner to sling his hook.

I keep thinking about Brexit all the time and wonder how we got ourselves into this position.
                      Cameron needed those juicy UKIP votes, so made his deal with Mephistopheles, thinking we'd vote Remain and he could say "I gave you a choice, what a great leader I am" but it backfired and he quit, leaving the other Brutuses to backstab each other to be PM ("I support Boris. Actually, I support me") and May finally got the poison chalice.

I know most of us here are Remain, but I've enjoyed reading here the Leave reasons too, but the Leave campaign promised the Earth with no plan on how to execute it.

Even Ant and Dec got fined for not telling people they might get charged even after they've voted on Saturday Night Takeaway, but there just seems to be no repercussions for the actions of those who wanted to leave and where are they now?

You look at the Government Petitions website and they say "If a petition gets 10,000 signatures, the Government will respond" and "If a petition gets 100,000 signatures, the Government will debate this in Parliament", but the Brexit vote was handled with the importance of Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway or X-Factor.

Rather than seeing that just over half of the voters wanted to leave and blindly bumbling into it, the Government should have come up with a proposal then saying if we're going to leave based on the validity of that research. Take time to address people's reasons to leave and explain which reasons are valid, which ones aren't actually affected by us being in the EU and which ones are fear-mongering that won't be resolved by leaving.

The only people who are going to benefit us leaving the EU are people who are set to make money from the absence of EU laws that protect us, the public.

All above opinions are my own, will be written on a bus for validity and please don't vote after the deadline as you may still be charged by your phone provider.

Comment

Speculation swirling that MPs are finally going to submit a formal vote of no confidence in Teresa May
                        Also, a third resignation has just occurred, Esther McVey the Work and Pensions Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          You look at the Government Petitions website and they say "If a petition gets 10,000 signatures, the Government will respond" and "If a petition gets 100,000 signatures, the Government will debate this in Parliament", but the Brexit vote was handled with the importance of Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway or X-Factor..
                          This is not correct - I'm not sure where this myth came from, but the only promise if a petition gets 100,000 signatures is that the petition will be considered by the committee whether it will be passed to the house for debate.

It's right here on the help pages: https://petition.parliament.uk/help

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            So just like being in the EU then? But now with even less say?

Once again I’ll say it, is everyone happy now? Did you all get what you think you wanted? Voting on a retarded plan of leaving the eu with not having a clue?

Honestly everyone deserves what they get with this, you followed the fools off a cliff and now your shocked there’s jagged rocks at the bottom.

Will everyone learn? Na.
                            "Yeah, but fishing!" sick of hearing that from the pro leavers...

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                              This is not correct - I'm not sure where this myth came from, but the only promise if a petition gets 100,000 signatures is that the petition will be considered by the committee whether it will be passed to the house for debate.

Sorry, I tried to copy it from the website, but it wouldn't let me.
                              I forgot "considered for", sorry.

That makes my point even stronger, though.

If 100k votes will only be considered for discussion, why was the Brexit vote set in stone?!
                              Last edited by QualityChimp; 15-11-2018, 09:18. Reason: Quote added for context in a busy thread from all the resignations!

Comment

Funny how everything seems to be about the parties and the people within them right now rather than being about the effects on all the citizens of the country for generations. A history-changing event has been reduced to tiny in-party politics with people who will be mostly forgotten in a couple of decades.

Comment

Working...
                                X