This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Well finally someone has stepped in with both a plan and the power to stop this mess: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sing-telepathy

I don’t know why he waited this long.
    I forgot that there was something I hated more than this government he really is a shameless fraud.

Comment

Although I signed this petition I just realised how utterly pointless it is. It’s just a number and you can use that number to say anything you like. Maybe it shows that 12 million remain voters have changed their mind for example. I know that isn’t true of course but if I was a leaver I could claim that as an opposing argument.

Comment

Um... that doesn’t make any sense. Petitions have never worked in reverse. That’s now how it goes. You could claim it but you’d be wrong.

Comment

Agreed. So what does it show? What point is it making? If it was something new that people wanted addressing then I get it; you show support for trying to make change somewhere but we are already in the middle of this topic. It’s already consuming us. Signing a petition to say you don’t want to leave the EU? We already know that about 15 million of us don’t want to.

Comment

This is not the same, Brad. You have to consider how petitions work and the context in which this one is happening. First, petitions require active participation. Far from being able to claim they work in reverse (they don’t), you could extrapolate that many feel the same but not enough to bother signing a petition or indeed the possibility of massive numbers who couldn’t be reached by it. Even without that, what you have is a large number of people who care enough to put their details into a website in a world where people don’t even want to bother opening the Epic store to get a game they want. The context is that May has rejected all calls for a second referendum and keeps claiming it’s the will of the people, shutting down any chance for anyone to show whether it still is or not. So people have had to grasp at any method they can to show that she’s wrong. If there is a loud enough voice, it demonstrates that there is enough reason to doubt that the Brexit process is in any way democratic at this point.

Comment

The woman who started the petition has had death threats from people calling her at home, and had her Facebook hacked.

Comment

Sadly, the petition (and March) make a point but not one MP's will pay any attention to like always.
                It's now at 4.7m though.

From what I can gather, for the most part dethroning May wouldn't actually get her out of office that quickly and though a hard Brexiter would end up in the seat most likely the movements of things mean not that much would change except more time wasting. Even for the likes of Boris, it's more worthwhile having May in the PM until the A50 debate is done and dusted one way or another as any new PM likely won't last long either if they have to unpick the current mess whereas a little more patience see's them able to shoulder everything on May.

Comment

Lol someone had posted Petition: A rematch for the Battle of Hastings as i am unhappy with the results

Comment

A poor analogy as the Battle of Hastings has long been over and the result can not be changed. Brexit is far from over and the outcome can most certainly be changed.

Given how this has all unfolded, I find it doubtful a second referendum would yield the same result as the first, and I suspect many Brexiteers fear this also, hence why many label the notion of a second referendum as being “undemocratic”.

Comment

It’s divided the uk so badly. Cameron should be held account(able) as Danny Dyer said. How could you not see this coming?

Regards the petition, I totally see why it’s there. People are furious and need some way to show that. A petition, a march etc. I just don’t believe we have a parliament that will pay any attention to any of it. They are ignoring the lies that we’re spouted during the campaigns. Those lies should have made the referendum null and void and possibly resulted in some people being tried for treason or similar but that has been ignored.

Comment

Were not we’re. I’m on a phone so can’t edit!

Comment

Petition is definitely slowing to a stop now but it's very close now to passing 5m

May is to meet with, basically, all her enemies at Chequers as she battles calls to lose her job. It's interesting how suddenly quiet Leadsom and Gove have become, presumably wondering how to survive as it'll be hard for anyone who backed May's Deal to the end to survive post Brexit, especially for flip-flop Gove.

If a Snap General Election occurs, Labour is said to be slowly shifting its way to the idea that any deal or Election that happens should be made under the basis it goes to second referendum

Comment

If anyone wants to keep a live eye on the petition, has a lot of stats as well.

View the 'Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.' Petition, broken down by constituency

Comment

Very interesting stats but I knew the petition was doomed to be ignored by MP's the second I scanned all the way down to No.101 in order to find the first Leave voting location get listed. There needs to be a very strong indicator of Leavers voting Remain to make a difference, Remainers voting Remain will always get ignored by MPs

Comment

Liam Fox says if MP's hold indicative votes the Government could simply ignore them. God help them if they try.

Comment

Working...
                                X