Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's also been speculation from one Welsh MP (not one I'm very familiar with mind) that parliament could be suspended early to prevent any no confidence vote from taking place. I'm not entirely sure how that would work given it's internal to the Conservative party and wouldn't require Parliament to be in session AFAIK.

Comment

Lol. That's incredible.
      'we have a vote of no confidence!'
      'no you don't, because I suspend parliament!' May runs out the door with the royal scepter.

Comment

She might have to now, as a no confidence challenge is official: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ce-theresa-may

Trouble is, even if she wins it, she's lost her authority.
        Last edited by MartyG; 12-12-2018, 06:57.

Comment

Yep, buckle up. Here we go.

Comment

I'm a bit perplexed as to how the MPs think they're going to get anything different from the EU with a different leader.

Perhaps it's just reached a point now where they think they can simply scapegoat May & the EU for any bad outcome of Brexit and wash their hands of the consequences.

Comment

Yep, they won’t get better. The only thing they could hope for is that, by shoving in a replacement, they may feel duty-bound to support that replacement when they come back with pretty much the same deal. The issue here really isn’t negotiation with Europe - it’s the fact that the MPs are sabotaging everything. I can’t honestly imagine that will change but maybe..?

Comment

I'm assuming this is good news for Labour as it should end up giving them a clear outlook on whether another General Election is likely. As soon as they know it's not (and they'd likely lose it anyway) they can stop fence sitting and push for the second referendum

Comment

List of likeliest contenders. God help us.

01 - Dominic Raab (the man who didn't know the dover border was important to trade)
                  02 - Boris Johnson (the Bus!)
                  03 - Michael Gove (the career traitor)
                  04 - Amber Rudd (the Windrush failure)
                  05 - Jeremy Hunt (the bane of the NHS)
                  Javid and Mordaunt are also in the running on the list but less likely and just as inept.

As much as they're all going to be vying for the top job you'd think the wiser option would be to bow out and wait until the next PM also gets steamrolled by Brexit, then push for the job with a clear slate. Most of that line up can spout all they want about their views, they've mostly backed May through much of all this so have little ground to weather or change the current situation.

Comment

Justice Secretary says if May loses they will seek to extend Article 50 but so far all MP tweets are showing voting being in favour of keeping May

Comment

I find it unlikely we're going to see a lot of MPs tweeting "I want to burn the witch", that's not how backstabbing works. I'm not sure if the no confidence vote is a secret ballot, but the leadership contest is should she lose the vote.

If it is a secret ballot, MPs can claim they're supporting May and still secretly vote against her. And it wouldn't surprise me if some of them would, should people like Boris and Moooooog get in people's earlugs with promises of cabinet positions.

Also, extending Article 50 will be entirely at the EU27's discretion.
                      Last edited by MartyG; 12-12-2018, 07:42.

Comment

I expect her to win it which is her typical outcome. You'll have those who want to try and push for a No Deal outcome but I think too many know she's the perfect scapegoat and they aren't quite done with her yet. Labour aren't going to get their GE so really need to get their act together now.

Comment

May says a new PM would not have time to reopen negotiations. I swear to god, how can she keep being so publicly ignorant and stupid - how many people have to tell her that she can't do it either. You have a deal, vote on it, not doing so is how it got to this in the first place.

Comment

I've joked about it in the past but I now think that the queen needs to step in with a statement that this is a national crisis, we are backing out of Brexit, change the voting rules so that people's votes actually count i.e. voting something other than tory or labour can actually have an impact and insist on a general election immediately. I think the British people would actually respect that whereas they would not respect ANYTHING that ANY of the current bellends did or said.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              Lol. That's incredible.
                              'we have a vote of no confidence!'
                              'no you don't, because I suspend parliament!' May runs out the door with the royal scepter.
                              I know right?! They just makes things up as they go along now.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                I've joked about it in the past but I now think that the queen needs to step in with a statement that this is a national crisis, we are backing out of Brexit, change the voting rules so that people's votes actually count i.e. voting something other than tory or labour can actually have an impact and insist on a general election immediately. I think the British people would actually respect that whereas they would not respect ANYTHING that ANY of the current bellends did or said.
                                The country honestly needs a strong leader right now, but they do not exist.

Our government has failed on every level on the matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X