Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several updates but they all amount to the same thing, naval gazing as nothing actually changes.

We were supposed to be leaving in 72 hours

Comment

I think it's important at this crucial time to take a moment and point out that it looks like you're linking to "cock live news".

Comment

In other news...

The DUP have opposed the stance of the ERG and said that delaying Brexit by a further year would be better than agreeing May's Deal

Apparently May's hard Brexit rivals were asked directly on Sunday if they'd support her deal if she resigned, presumably they still said no

Meanwhile, as an aside, the EU's MEP's have approved the phenomenally stupid new copyright law that attempts to exert far more control than is possible

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          How can Boris even be in the running? Seriously. He can’t be the best you’ve got. How has he managed to put himself in a situation where he is front runner for PM? I honestly don’t get it. Even if the rest of his career had been brilliant (has it?), his record on Brexit alone should rule him out.
          A few reasons, I guess.

Firstly, he's an Eton boy, part of the same clubs that produced Cameron. I bet there are a bunch of "you scratch my back" favours he's able to call in from that.

But secondly, and this is the bit that is key - he is perceived to have done a good job as mayor of London. People disliked him as a personality, but it seems the general consensus is that he either did pretty well, or he didn't achieve much... But there isn't the perception that he did badly. This is important as the UK is so London-centric. I mean the London mayoral race makes national news and the mayor frequently appears on national television, despite the position being totally irrelevent to anyone outside of commuter-distance to London - though admittedly I believe that's ~25% of the UK population.

Lastly though, he's also a personality. He's been on TV for years; he was a long-time panelist on HIGNFY, people know him; he's also teflon coated. Nothing sticks to him. He's made some bizarre comments since he became foreign secretary. He's like Trump in this respect; in an era of scandal (left-field example; take the James Gunn thing) he's somewhat untouchable, whereas most politicians can still go down for saying something daft in 1985.

Comment

Labour will finally be supporting an amendment tomorrow that plans to ensure any agreed withdrawal agreement must go to a second referendum for ratification from the public. This is a step up from before where it applied to specific cases, May can ignore this but it none the less begins to pave a path to trying to ensure a referendum happens in any outcome.

Another submitted plan is one acting as a safeguard that rules out No Deal by establishing MP's favour revoking A50 over it as a last resort. Again, May can ignore it though.

Bercow has his work cut out though as nearly twenty amendments have been posted by MP's and most completely ignore reality.

Comment

Seemingly balanced people I've had business meetings with are now sharing infographics (with lies on) made by a Facebook group that is promoting civil war if we don't leave. (group is "hard Brexit or civil war"). Wtf

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                Seemingly balanced people I've had business meetings with are now sharing infographics (with lies on) made by a Facebook group that is promoting civil war if we don't leave. (group is "hard Brexit or civil war"). Wtf
                They’d be classed as terrorists if their skin wasn’t gammon coloured.

Comment

There's a chasm of difference between being a keyboard warrior and taking up arms against fellow country men. Given the support for Farage's walk, we already see how successful that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    There's a chasm of difference between being a keyboard warrior and taking up arms against fellow country men. Given the support for Farage's walk, we already see how successful that would be.
                    Oh please let’s hang Farrage, and I sincerely mean that.

Comment

Captain Brexit: Civil Keyboard War

Comment

I wish people would stop giving Farage time of day / interviews etc. He's irrelevant now

Comment

If May had pursued a longer extension the EU was favouring 31 March 2020

Meanwhile, the 5.8m votes for the A50 Revoke petition will be debated on 01 April but Government has already formally rejected the petition.

Comment

I wish people would stop giving Farage time of day / interviews etc. He's irrelevant now
                            True. And Victorian throwback Mogg gets far too much air time as well. For a back bencher he gets an impressive amount of TV time.

Comment

A list of the proposals put forward for Indicative Voting and there's a lot of wasted breath in the selection for Bercow to sift through:

01 - The Labour Plan
                              Customs Union, Close Alignment with the Single Market, Matching EU rights and protections, participation in EU agencies and funding programmes, agreement on future security arrangements

02 - Common Market 2.0
                              Membership of EFTA, participation in the single market, comprehensive customs arrangement

03 - Confirmatory Public Vote
                              Requirement for a Second Referendum to the public before any deal is agreed by Parliament and actioned upon

04 - Customs Union
                              Requirement for a Customs Union to be part of any withdrawal agreement

05 - Malthouse Compromise Plan A
                              May's Deal with the Backstop replaced

06 - Revoke Article 50
                              For a vote on No Deal to be held if no withdrawal agreement has been implemented within two days of the Brexit deadline

07 - Revocation Instead of No Deal
                              Similar to the above but makes revoking A50 an automatic process if no withdrawal agreement is in place within four days of the Brexit deadline

08 - New Customs Union
                              To implement a trade agreement that includes a customs union with the EU

09 - EEA/EFTA without Customs Union
                              As the title of it describes

10 - No Deal
                              To leave the EU on 12 April without a Deal

11 - Unilateral Right of Exit from Backstop
                              May's Deal with the UK having the ability to exit the Backstop at any time of its choosing

12 - Consent of Devolved Institutions
                              That the UK cannot leave the UK without the permission of the Welsh and Scottish assembly's

13 - Contingent Preferential Arrangements

That the Government must seek a preferred trade arrangement with the EU in case the withdrawal agreement doesn't pass

14 - Contingent Reciprocal Arrangements
                              For the Government to at least reciprocate the arrangements put in place by the EU to manage the immediate period after Brexit in case the withdrawal agreement doesn't pass

15 - Respect of the Referendum Result
                              That the House must reaffirm it will adhere to the outcome of the 2016 referendum

Honestly, for some of these any MP's behind them should lost their jobs thanks to the sheer staggering stupidity of thinking behind them. I'll definitely call it wrong but to me the best ones that seem likely to be called are 03, 04, 06 and maybe 09. The rest are either really stupid or already repeatedly ruled out by the EU

Comment

Ahead of the Indicative Votes, Donald Tusk has decided to drop all remaining pretence and to further knee-cap May by calling on the UK to act on the 'increasing majority for Remain'

“Let me make one personal remark to the members of this parliament. Before the European council, I said that we should be open to a long extension if the UK wishes to rethink its Brexit strategy, which would of course mean the UK’s participation in the European parliament elections. And then there were voices saying that this would be harmful or inconvenient to some of you.

Let me be clear: such thinking is unacceptable. You cannot betray the 6 million people who signed the petition to revoke article 50, the 1 million people who marched for a people’s vote, or the increasing majority of people who want to remain in the European Union”

Comment

Working...
                                X