Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we have an extension please because the dog ate the last one?

Comment

My dog ate my policy document?

My DUP working agreement died?

My minister just left me?

I've only got weeks to live (as Prime Minister).

Comment

May is said to be pursuing requesting a short extension whilst Leadsom is said to be livid at the situation and is pushing for a scenario where we extend A50 till late June then crash out with No Deal. One source says ministers are said be increasingly furious that May is solely focused on a short extension and ways of repeating her deals vote rather than considering any other option the EU and most MPs want. The only provision May is said to be considering is adding that if we don't leave by end of June then A50 should further extend by 2 years - something the EU is very likely to tell her no to and to drop her short term request if she doesn't actually have a real plan for it.

Comment

Tusk and the Irish PM have issued a joint statement seemingly heading May off at the pass by saying don't bother asking for an extension if you don't have a damned good reason to back it up

Comment

How much can you not trust May? She's now meeting with Boris Johnson

Comment

Quite rightly the Speaker has said she can't simply keep putting the same bill forward over and over again until she gets the answer she wants, so effectively her deal is dead. They could vote to ignore the speaker and then put the bill forward again, but frankly it will fail because nothing has changed with it.
              I honestly think we should just crash out with no deal. If she revokes A50 parliament will look like incompetent fools and the EU relationship will be rocky to say the least and the EU will undoubtedly use the situation to flex its muscles against any other country who dares to leave.
              At least with No Deal, she has successfully executed the will of the people. I don't think it will be the hell and damnation situation they want us to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                At least with No Deal, she has successfully
                Have to stop you there. She hasn't successfully done anything. Not a single thing. Crashing out with No Deal will not be a success.

Comment

At this point I think that would largely be the end of the Tories

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    At least with No Deal, she has successfully executed the will of the people. I don't think it will be the hell and damnation situation they want us to believe.
                    This kinda sums up where I'm at, despite being someone who wanted to Remain and is generally unhappy that we're leaving.

That being said, I said this at a work night out recently, and a friend mentioned to me that there's genuine fear about the supply of insulin, meaning that there's a chance, in that specific situation, that people may actually die in the case of a no-deal. I don't know if that's technically true; however, it what it made me consider is that I'm an able-bodied individual who isn't dependent on any particular medication or foodstuff to survive, save for the obvious. It might affect some people much more than it'd affect me.

Comment

"Her ministers think she will request a delay until 30 June, predicated on her somehow getting her deal ratified by MPs - with an option of an extension to the end of 2020 in the event she ever concedes her own Brexit plan is definitely an ex-parrot (or dead, for the few of you too young to remember Monty Python).

May’s hope is that if this delay schedule is agreed as a legally binding text then it would have the effect of amending her deal - such that the speaker could not then block her holding the meaningful vote for a third time."

No May - It. Does. Not. Change. Your. God. Damned. Deal

It's exactly what the EU keeps telling you - kicking the can on the same damned thing again and again.

Comment

To leave with No Deal May could have just shut down parliament and gone on holiday for 2 years; the result is the same.

Comment

May has just employed a new expert Brexit negotiator:

Comment

Seems that the EU is definitely going to set hard lines with this extension request and I don't think May is going to meet the requirements.

Playing for time just for the sake of playing for time would not constitute a project or strategy. Now is not the time for procrastinating.

Comment

I wonder how much important other stuff isn't getting done while this is taking up everyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                I wonder how much important other stuff isn't getting done while this is taking up everyone's time.
                                Thats exactly my problem with this. Delaying it only lengthens the time other stuff isn't being done. And let's not forget that this is only stage 1 of the negotiations. If we leave with a deal we have then enter stage 2 with all the nitty gritty detail. This could go on for years. Leaving with no deal at this point at least ends the years of crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X