No announcement yet.

Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bioware have abandoned the games planned Acts updates and are to switch to seasonal updates in an effort to continue trying to fix the games core issues.

Comment

Taken from ResetEra: Sources: BioWare Plans A Complete Overhaul For Anthem - Jason Shrier @ Kotaku

Recent silence and a couple of high-profile departures from BioWare have led fans and pundits to speculate that the studio has abandoned its most recent game, Anthem, but the opposite is true. For the last few months, BioWare and parent company EA have been planning an overhaul of the online shooter, according to three people familiar with those plans. Some call it “Anthem 2.0” or “Anthem Next.”
      I can't quite help but think...

Comment

I'd call it Anthem Free 2 Play... or the similar sounding Anthem DOA. It's a dead IP and they should recognise it and save the resources

Comment

Bioware have confirmed that Anthem is being reworked.

Hey everyone! One year ago, we were preparing to launch Anthem – a game that represented a big leap into new territory for us as a studio.  It was an exhilarating and terrifying experien…

Comment

They really shouldn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              They really shouldn't bother.
              Was just about to say the same thing.

Comment

The thing is the game engine they built is really solid the flight mechanics are really fun and if the game actually played like the E3 reveal trailer they would have had a hit on their hands. They desperately need to fill out the map with interesting things to do as 90% off it looks lovely but is completely empty.

They never should of released the game as it was, it was more a tech demo a proof of concept, i think that's why their revisiting this and putting it back in development, they need to just go dark with it though and find a positive way to relaunch it. News story's coming out about them forgetting to take down Christmas lights in their player hub (their still up now) really don't give you the impression they know how to run a live game though.

Anthem’s most recent update came out near the end of January. It fixed some bugs and shortened wait times for the game’s recently added time trial races. One thing it didn’t do was bring an end to Anthem’s Icetide celebrations.

Comment

I'd be all in for a full cancellation (the brand is beyond tainted now, there's no way of relaunching it successfully now) and to be honest I think they should drop Dragon's Age 4 whilst they're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    I'd be all in for a full cancellation (the brand is beyond tainted now, there's no way of relaunching it successfully now) and to be honest I think they should drop Dragon's Age 4 whilst they're at it.
                    The same could of been said for no mans sky, you'd of thought their would of been no way back form the memes and negativity but here we are and its a massively successful game now.

Comment

No Man's Sky though had the benefit of being immensely successful title from a very small team who had their entire reputation and potentially their future on the line. It's success allowed them to focus on turning that ship around slowly so that when they next work on a game it won't be dogged by the negativity that used to associate that game whilst also enjoying a large sales base with a solid number able to reinstall it whenever a big update came along etc.

It's a bit like with Rainbow Six Siege as well, where it was smothered by rivals but the core gameplay experience is great and Ubisoft really dig their heels in with regular support that has allowed the game to expand and grow as the generation continued and bigger rivals fell by the wayside.

Anthem was a dog that failed out the gate. There's no real userbase, it wasn't well thought of, if was deeply limited as an experience, it wasn't even done in a manner that is popular amongst online rival products. It hasn't even been supported well and not only has all these issues but also has the crushing weight of a new generation bearing down on it.

Bioware could change the name and launch it as F2P, they could expand the gameworld, overhaul the visuals, add a load of ranking and items, new enemy types etc but it'd be a big investment on a major failed title and also by that point they might as well just make a new game. Also, it'd end up largely being at best a third person Destiny knock-off, and Destiny struggles enough as it is.

Someone is certainly going out of their way in EA to champion for the game but Anthem is the definition of a game that needs taking out to the barn. It still seems odd that EA hasn't been its usual ruthless self with it given how quick to kill things off they usually are and they must be keen to see Bioware, who haven't knocked it out the park since nearly a decade ago, get back on track with something they've previously shown some strength at.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                        The same could of been said for no mans sky, you'd of thought their would have been no way back form the memes and negativity but here we are and its a massively successful game now.
                        I think there are bad games that are redeemed to some degree, however many of the examples often given (Destiny, The Division, Diablo 3, NMS etc.) have a much more solid core gameplay loop. Hell I'd even argue Fallout 76 has much more to offer than Anthem. But without the detail it's difficult to know the scale of this project, financials involved (i.e. it can still make a few hundred million) or whether there are some internal Bioware/EA politics involved. The cynic in me, makes me think the majority of Bioware resources are flat out on Dragon Age 4.

Certainly the statement yesterday said nothing different from the previous statement 6-months ago. Which begs the question what have Bioware been doing? Even Jason Schreier had the courtesy of confirming this news 4-months ago for them. Facepalm.

Comment

Actually bought this like a moron yesterday, 3.50 from john lewis why not for laffs.

Comment

I really dont know what the complaints with this game are, it looks great, controls well and is as boring/entertaining a fetch quest go here shoot there etc as any other game from the last 10 years.

Comment

I think they nailed the flying mechanic. There's a perfect Marvel's Iron Man game somewhere in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                                I really dont know what the complaints with this game are, it looks great, controls well and is as boring/entertaining a fetch quest go here shoot there etc as any other game from the last 10 years.
                                It's because of who made it and moron's on the likes of RestEra, who bash games they haven't played for little more than the company or developer behind them. Not even Mass Effect Andromeda was bad as made out.

That said the in-game loading is a pain as it the need for the party to be close together

Comment

Working...
                                X