No announcement yet.

Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even Destiny wasn’t the Destiny people talk about now until really the very last updates Rise of Iron onwards. If it didn’t have the raids it would of failed straight out the gate a horrible battered death, and rightfully so for being so falsely advertised.

Bungie then failed to learn even the smallest of mistakes from D1 into D2 and none of that momentum will carry on as it’s clear they are on the Minimal viable product route forevermore.

Only game that has achieved this is World of Warcraft. However even Blizzard have made other games and kept them updated as well.
    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 09-05-2018, 13:54.

Comment

TA, It does look lovely and could be really great. I love co-op games and this could be right up my street, but what I'm saying is I'm reserving a healthy amount of scepticism based on their long-term aims and their historical closures of under-performing studios.

Hopefully E3 will give us something new to go on.

It would just be refreshing for EA to say "Let's just make the best possible game we can and if it's a success, we can work of the strengths and weaknesses of that product to make an even better one!" rather than "How can we maximise profit from this?".

They don't seem to see that that's what made the franchises they bought so successful in the first place. Look at all these big name franchises they've killed off:
      - Dead Space was turned into an action game full of microtransactions for single-player upgrades.
      - Dungeon Keeper was turned into a freemium mobile game with so many microtransactions it barely functioned without it.
      - Ultima Online was turned into a free-to-play game.
      - Wing Commander was turned into a shallow 3rd-person shmup.
      - Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning, accused EA of sabotaging Stranger's Wrath by failing with distribution and marketing support. They then tried to buy them when the game underperformed.
      - Need For Speed: Payback was encumbered with gameplay that forced grinding or lootboxes which in EA’s own words, “are like a slot machine where you can roll for a chance to win Speed Cards that you can use to upgrade your cars.”
      - Syndicate was changed from a strategy game into yet another futuristic FPS game.
      - The Simpsons series (Hit and Run, Road Rage) had a third game cancelled and instead Tapped Out was released, which is a prime example of F2P gameplay where you pay or wait to progress.
      - Titanfall 2 was released by EA at the same time as big titles Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Why would EA do this, especially as Battlefield was also EA? In completely unrelated news, EA bought the makers Respawn Entertainment when Titanfall 2 underperformed.
      - Skate developer, Black Box, was shifted to free-to-pay games by EA and then shut down.
      - Theme Park was turned into a Freemium mobile game where you had to pay real money to buy some rides. We're talking $60 for one roller coaster.
      - Star Wars: Battlefront. Do I need to explain this one?
      - Burnout died out when Criterion moved onto Need For Speed, then away from racing games and then cut its staff.
      - SimCity only worked with an internet connection AND had network issues plus had game-breaking glitches. EA then closed the studio.
      - Mass Effect: Andromeda killed the series and it's rumoured that BioWare Montreal weren't given the support they needed.
      - Command & Conquer was turned into a F2P game. The alpha was badly received so EA closed the studio.
      - Medal of Honour disappeared after Dreamworks was merged into DICE and made to support Battlefield.

There are several others they've not adequately supported or overmilked, like Def Jam, The Sims, Mercenaries, FIFA (Ultimate Team microtransactions) and Dragon Age.

Can you see why I'm cautious about a new IP, if this is the kind of thing that EA has done with established, successful franchises?

Comment

Anthem will be EA's chance to prove that they've learnt from the SWBF2 lootbox fiasco. This game has microtransactions written all over it.

Comment

This is going to be nothing but a microtransaction platform. Visuals and gameplay will draw people in before you are hit with the sales pitch. I'm not falling for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            This is going to be nothing but a microtransaction platform. Visuals and gameplay will draw people in before you are hit with the sales pitch. I'm not falling for it.
            Maybe not. The game has been put back a significant amount, which suggests changes.

Of course, there are two ways that could go. Either EA are retooling it for the new anti-box climate, or they've decided to throw out any dignity and just double down on that model with their fingers in their ears, and they're just trying to weather the contemporary storm.

Which one they choose is simply going to be based on which one will yield them the most profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Maybe not. The game has been put back a significant amount, which suggests changes.

Of course, there are two ways that could go. Either EA are retooling it for the new anti-box climate, or they've decided to throw out any dignity and just double down on that model with their fingers in their ears, and they're just trying to weather the contemporary storm.

Which one they choose is simply going to be based on which one will yield them the most profit.

It got delayed so much because it entered development hell. Just assume the absolute worst from EA and you'll, well you'll still be disappointed.

Comment

EA have learnt nothing,

Are you looking to showcase your brand in front of the gaming industry’s top leaders? Learn more about GamesBeat Summit sponsorship opportunities here.  Belgium and the Netherlands have ruled that many loot boxes in games like FIFA Ultimate Team are equivalent to gambling and in violation of their laws, but FIFA publisher Electronic Arts says it […]

also going to make a bold prediction, Anthem will play well but will critically short of meaningful content and packed full of procedural fetch quests and defend the beacon, and this without all the lootbox rubbish they'll jam in it.

Comment

I feel like Anthem's delay has less to do with the loot box issues and changes on that front, instead more to do with the collapse of the Mass Effect franchise putting the fear of god into them. Despite the approach Anthem will sink or swim based on its core gameplay loop and having meaningful SP content that doesn't require extra spending. Co-op never carries a game, it's greta when it works but it's one of those niche appeals that isn't mass market enough to carry a title so either kills a games sales or is featured in a half hearted manner. This being pitched as a third person Destiny would work, if they've learnt anything from Andromeda and Destiny 2

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    TA, It does look lovely and could be really great.
                    Nice list, but if you think the worst, expect the worst almost hope for the worst, then maybe the game not be for you. I just go on how the games looks and how it seems to play and so far, whats been shown off looks great. And while is all very good to blame EA for everything and totally overlook any good game they make.

All I will say was that I enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda, thought Syndicate was a bloody good game and not really blame EA for the lack of sales for RTS games like Command & Conquer. What next EA to blame for the Flight sims and Point and Click games market decline?. I think for lots of people, they had enough and looked to other genres of game.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      Nice list, but if you think the worst, expect the worst almost hope for the worst, I just go on looks
                      I guess I've been stung with a string of relationships with supermodels that have the looks but end up cheating and adding DLC and closing studios or something.

...I've not thought this metaphor out.

Well, it's your money, buddy. Good luck to you.
                      Believe it or not, I hope you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I guess I've been stung with a string of relationships with supermodels that have the looks but end up cheating and adding DLC and closing studios or something.
                        DLC is an industry-wide problem and I'm grown up enough, to know understand that gaming corps are there to make money and look to make money off their Huge investments and that big business is ruthless; If EA does that with DLC and season passes as well as making a great game, good for them. I'll not be being buying any loot boxes though. That is not a dig at you btw, but just the way of the world these days

So I have no issues with EA looking to make loads off this game, hoping it's their own Destiny IP. All I care is if the game is any good and there are some 12 hours or so, of amazing gameplay. So far it looks good, but one will have to see

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          Dear God, The game isn't even out yet and people are already writing it off. I think the game will do brilliant and sell in huge numbers, it looks amazing and a great co-op game. I can't wait
                          Yeah, but it's fully open-world. You should be writing it off by default.

Comment

Besides, EA's problem isn't with DLC or expansion packs; it's the whole loot box roulette/gambling scam. The two concepts couldn't be any more different.

Loot boxes were meant to be a method for many F2P games to get back a bit of money, not for stacking on top of games that already sell for RRP.

Comment

It is a proper open world? I'm not sure EA's ever put out a properly good one have they?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                Yeah, but it's fully open-world. You should be writing it off by default.
                                It's depends of If it's a class semi open world game like Division or Destiny, Monster World or boring rubbish like Ghost Recon, Horizon Zero Dawn . At the moment it looks ace and like a fab mix of Lost Planet and Monster World.

Comment

Working...
                                X