No announcement yet.

Stranger Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little season 4 teaser here with a reveal: https://twitter.com/Stranger_Things/...438296578?s=20

Comment

Comment

Oh, so we have to wait for the 5th season for the end of the story. At least they have a plan.

Comment

Is anyone watching season 4?

Honestly...? (3.5 episodes in but will avoid plot points)

We're 3.5 episodes in and I've found it slow going. Firstly, I think the longer episode runtimes have just allowed them to compromise on the pacing. But secondly, I dunno... I just found the initial setup, with the highschool bully subplot kinda annoying.

But the main problem I'm having - am I the only one who finds the villain in this one really goofy-looking? In Season 1 and my memory of the others, the concept of "the upside down" was scary. Like those scenes where it was totally black apart from 11 and the creature; the idea that her mind has reached out into the ether and something responded, something ancient, malevolent and terrifying - there was something Lovecraftian about it. It was something unknowable, which you couldn't reason with or talk to.

The villain in S4 seems to be the antithesis of this.

Maybe it'll improve; I seem to recall one of the previous seasons, I think S2, faltered in places but it did come together. I guess we'll see.

Comment

Just binge watched the entireity of season 4 just waiting for those last 2 episodes to be released it's absolutely amazing. At first it's chaos i had no idea what was going on but little by little the pieces start to be filled in now at the endgame.

Holy crap it's soooo good.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            Is anyone watching season 4?

Honestly...? (3.5 episodes in but will avoid plot points)

We're 3.5 episodes in and I've found it slow going. Firstly, I think the longer episode runtimes have just allowed them to compromise on the pacing. But secondly, I dunno... I just found the initial setup, with the highschool bully subplot kinda annoying.

But the main problem I'm having - am I the only one who finds the villain in this one really goofy-looking? In Season 1 and my memory of the others, the concept of "the upside down" was scary. Like those scenes where it was totally black apart from 11 and the creature; the idea that her mind has reached out into the ether and something responded, something ancient, malevolent and terrifying - there was something Lovecraftian about it. It was something unknowable, which you couldn't reason with or talk to.

The villain in S4 seems to be the antithesis of this.

Maybe it'll improve; I seem to recall one of the previous seasons, I think S2, faltered in places but it did come together. I guess we'll see.
            Don't worry it's all explained the thing you mention has a story & it GOOD keep watching
            Last edited by importaku; 28-05-2022, 23:02.

Comment

We got around to the first episode last night so still yet to get into the weeds of it. Out the gate the biggest issue that will always plague the show in hindsight is, even with COVID factored in, the gaps in seasons really distracts. It's set 6 months after Season 3 but the years of growth screams out from the 'kids'. If they don't film Season 05 this year it'll look like this by the time it airs

That aside, to be honest it reminded me of the Season 02 slump. The new 'bad guy' didn't impress, it's too... Jovovich Resident Evil, and the episode was at least 30 minutes too long. Loads of dull high school drama and DnD etc. It's very much like Season 03 wrapped things up and Season 04's first episode was struggling to gain traction out the gate with where to go next. Lots to go though, just a very underwhelming start.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                Don't worry it's all explained the thing you mention has a story & it GOOD keep watching
                Watched the rest and unfortunately it didn't really improve for us

I really think Netflix screwed up by letting them have longer episodes. I think it makes a real case for why a stringent runtime is actually a good thing.

Comment

That doesn't bode well for Episode 2 onward for us

It's that pacing thing, Season 4 has 9 episodes and if each ran 45-50 minutes that would leave enough run time for the season to have Episodes 10-14. Apparently Episode 09 will be 2hrs 30mins long

I kind of suspect when Season 05 hits... they won't stick the landing on the ending

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    It's that pacing thing, Season 4 has 9 episodes and if each ran 45-50 minutes that would leave enough run time for the season to have Episodes 10-14. Apparently Episode 09 will be 2hrs 30mins long
                    Yeah; I think the issue is with 80-minute episodes, each 2-episode pair has the runtime of a longer Hollywood movie. It'd be okay if it was really dense, like rich with character development and so on... But there are moments of exposition which feel like they're playing for time.

Comment

Like asura I though they had jumped the shark a bit at first as the other main antagonists in previous seasons seemed more grounded in reality it felt plausible that eleven could of opened a gate to another world where as this seasons antagonist feels a little bit like he doesn't belong to the upside down and is a bit to comic book villain. The mind flayer and the gorgans where a lot more animalistic where as this seasons antagonist seems a lot more familiar and grounded in our reality. his humanoid form isn't helping this, (he's more Jason or Freddy than creature form the upside down)

Overall im enjoying it though and that scene at the end of episode 4 gave me goose bumps, even with the above criticism I'm really enjoying the Duffer brothers move through the 80s movie genres, this is pure 80s horror. soundtrack is spot on as always too, cant wait to watch some more.
                      Last edited by Lebowski; 30-05-2022, 10:01.

Comment

I wanted to watch this, but needed a refresher of what happened in the last series, so started the penultimate episode and I was lost, so now I'm considering rewatching all of S2 before 3, but then I think maybe I should go from the start with my son, but I forget how gruesome it is at times!

Comment

There is a season 3 recap on Netflix. I found it pretty good as a reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            There is a season 3 recap on Netflix. I found it pretty good as a reminder.
                            Ah perfect, thanks for organising that for me, Dogg!

It was making me have flashbacks to going to the Stranger Things Secret Cinema experience, which was AMAZING!

Comment

Response from everywhere I look seems to be positive, but individual episodes with two-hour run times? Urrrghghhgh.

Comment

Episode 2:
                                Still pretty weak mostly because so much of it is a retread copy of Episode 1. I've got very little interest in Eleven's arc too, after the events of the prior three seasons I just don't buy this storyline.

Comment

Working...
                                X