No announcement yet.

Little Things That Puzzle You 2: Twisted Membrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car MOT yesterday, only one note on the result which is that the nearside front tire is apparently worn in the tread to barely legal.

Very curious as to why. 12 months ago all four tyres were replaced with brand new ones, all the same type and make as each other. I've only driven 8,000 miles and can't think of anything that would wear just that one tyre so aggressively particularly when I usually get about 28,000 from a full set on exactly the same routes of driving.

Comment

This place is so quiet now. What happened?

Comment

Anti-vaxxers.

Comment

Oh, I see.

Comment

Edited for grumpiness.
            Last edited by JazzFunk; 31-03-2021, 15:28.

Comment

I edit myself all the time too, albeit usually mentally before I speak. People would likely freak out otherwise! It's like that line from Bob Dylan's brilliant 'It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)' :

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen,
              They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
              ".

I know exactly what he means! Let's enjoy the full masterpiece:

Comment

Reading another story on Era about bad drivers in driverless vehicles they were talking about the tech used to detect a driver is present and how people are getting around it.

A - It's naive to think people won't always find ways around it but

B - If the car requires you to be in the driver seat, with hand on wheel, fully alert to what the car is doing and other road hazards...

What's the point of it driving itself? Other than putting your foot on the pedal you're doing most of the work still. Feels like someone has grossly overestimated the work drivers do when controlling a car and how much effort the tech will save.

Comment

There’s no such thing as a self driving car at present. At best it’s cruise control with distance and lane keep. We’re a long way from genuinely autonomous vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    There’s no such thing as a self driving car at present. At best it’s cruise control with distance and lane keep. We’re a long way from genuinely autonomous vehicles.
                    Dude, they've been around since the 80s.

This one guy can talk to his car on his watch and turbo boost over stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Dude, they've been around since the 80s.

This one guy can talk to his car on his watch and turbo boost over stuff.
                      Does it talk down to you with an English accent too? Sign me up!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        Reading another story on Era about bad drivers in driverless vehicles they were talking about the tech used to detect a driver is present and how people are getting around it.

A - It's naive to think people won't always find ways around it but

B - If the car requires you to be in the driver seat, with hand on wheel, fully alert to what the car is doing and other road hazards...

What's the point of it driving itself? Other than putting your foot on the pedal you're doing most of the work still. Feels like someone has grossly overestimated the work drivers do when controlling a car and how much effort the tech will save.
                        There isn't a whole lot of point really. It's kind of just a bling tech toy feature right now as far as I can tell. As CMcK says, the technology just isn't there for the car to drive itself yet. Tesla's marketing, in particular, has been ridiculously misleading. I have no idea why they've been allowed to call their features 'Full Self Driving' when it's a long way from it.

I got really intrigued about how good it actually was a little while ago and did some cursory research. It does not seem great at all. Most of the features are half baked to say the least and still very much in the realm of 'a cool thing to show off to your friends, once', rather than 'actually useful thing you will rely on daily'.

I've no doubt that autonomous cars will get there, but, yeah, right now they're pretty lacklustre.

Comment

Not that there's a need for it but I hate even using cruise control, it just feels more dangerous than maintaining full control

Comment

Does it talk down to you with an English accent too? Sign me up!
                            A Glaswegian accent. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                              A Glaswegian accent. Good luck.
                              I can just picture it - “ Michael ya banger, yer drivin’s pish gies the wheel or we’ll get malkied by yon big lorry”

Comment

I can just picture it - “ Michael ya banger, yer drivin’s pish gies the wheel or we’ll get malkied by yon big lorry”
                                I would watch the **** out of that show.

Comment

Working...
                                X