Castle Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castle Rock

The second teaser is out for Hulu's Stephen King series Castle Rock that blends all the works of King into one narrative set within the fictional town the series takes it name after. The 10 episode long show hits this summer.

Hulu has announced that its highly anticipated TV series “Castle Rock,” based on the complete works of Stephen King, will premiere on the streaming service on July 25th. A new trailer is also out for the psychological-horror series which is set in the Stephen King multiverse and combines the mythological scale and intimate character storytelling […]

Castle Rock will debut on Hulu on 25 July 2018

Comment

New trailer:

Comment

Review: Hulu's "Castle Rock" skillfully blends the works of Stephen King into a spooky series that nails the horror author's trademark tone.

Review based on the first 4 eps comes in decent

Comment

This looks great. Is it available in the UK?

Comment

From what I can gather a UK channel has yet to pick it up but after the success of It you'd imagine one will

Comment

Hulu has renewed its Stephen King multiverse-set anthology drama series “Castle Rock” for a second season. The first season premiered on July 25th and within its first day of launch, the streamer reports, the show became the most successful first season Hulu Original when “considering consumption and reach”. Hulu’s senior vice president and head of […]

Wasting no time, Hulu have renewed the show for Season 2

Comment

We've started picking our way through this now, we're three episodes in out of ten and starting to get a feel for it. It's definitely a slow burn with only one or two creepy moments per episode but they're fairly effective when they happen.

Despite the show supposedly bringing all the Stephen King novels together into a shared narrative, the show isn't at all like I expected and instead follows an original character called Henry Deaver and unfolds like a new King novel with frequent but very, very subtle nods to other works rather than any direct connection. Pure synopsis so no real spoilers:

As a child Henry went missing, his father was shortly found at the bottom of a cliff having fallen during the search for his son and he died three days later. Eleven days into his disappearance Henry was found by the local Sheriff standing in the middle of a frozen lake, subsequently Henry was adopted by the Sheriff and his wife, who looked after him giving him a home, albeit an abusive one. Henry grew to be a lawyer and, blamed throughout the town for an initially unspoken act, left to pursue his career.

Cut to modern day and the head of the nearby Shawshank Prison ties a line of rope to a tree, climbs into his car, puts the noosed other end around his neck and then drives off a cliff edge ripping off his own head. Shortly after a new head of the prison arrives and discovers that for three decades, her recently deceased predecessor left an entire wing of the prison disused and so sends two wardens down to count the capacity it could hold were it refurbished back into service. One of the guards stumbles through the dark and happens across a sealed hatch, he opens it and climbs down the ladder discovering a man trapped in a cage. Upon being brought up, the man will only say 'Henry Deaver'

It's starting to bring in explainations already and some other characters that tie into the history of both Henry and Shawshank Prison - Probably the biggest query will be how it connects King's other works as without that being more pronounced it seems misleading to market the show on that basis but it could be equally that it's taking time to set itself up rather than be a string of references. So far, it's decent though.

Comment

Really hope this hits UK screens soon.

Comment

Castle Rock Hulu has set an October 23rd premiere date for the second season of its Stephen King-inspired anthology series “Castle Rock”. The new season will explore a feud between warring clans that comes to a boil when budding psychopath Annie Wilkes (Lizzy Caplan), King’s nurse from hell, gets waylaid in the town. [Source: Twitter] […]

Season 2 will debut on Hulu on 23 October

Comment

Hmmmmm. I finished S1 last night and came away with mixed feelings. It asks a huge amount from the viewer ... not just in terms of patience but the fact it delivers very few moments of satisfaction.

And for me it doesn't feel Stephen King enough. It's more like a generic horror show with King locations and character names.

It had its moments though. But those moments I enjoyed kind of didn't go anywhere. I bought the first season on blu but I doubt I'll be doing the same with S2.

It's well made but it's lacking something imo.

Comment

Working...
                      X