No announcement yet.

PVM Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably best to leave the monitor off for a couple of hours after rotation.

Comment

I used the Ikegami exclusively for tate games. I left it for two days after rotating it before using it. Gave me good service for a couple of years but it started to display white lines from the left hand side of the scree which would clear after a wee while. Then one day it wouldn’t display a picture at all. I’m loathe to rotate any of my other CRTs now.

Comment

I guess in a candy cabinet it is only the tube that is being rotated, having certain chassis oriented as they would be in TATE may not be sustainable, as you've experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
          I used the Ikegami exclusively for tate games. I left it for two days after rotating it before using it. Gave me good service for a couple of years but it started to display white lines from the left hand side of the scree which would clear after a wee while. Then one day it wouldn’t display a picture at all. I’m loathe to rotate any of my other CRTs now.
          That sounds like an unfortunate coincidence to me. I think your chassis just needs a service tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            I guess in a candy cabinet it is only the tube that is being rotated, having certain chassis oriented as they would be in TATE may not be sustainable, as you've experienced.
            Most cabs I have owned the chassis rotates with the monitor, but the chassis designer would know that it would be used in various positions.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
              That sounds like an unfortunate coincidence to me. I think your chassis just needs a service tbh.
              I ended up taking it to the coup as I couldn't find anywhere local to look at it. Seemed like such a waste.
              And now I have a lovely BVM with the blue service menu problem. Needs a new EEPROM apparently but there's nowhere nearby that will look at it. Still works with no issues and has been colour calibrated with the Sony probe.

Comment

It's so annoying that there's no one practically anywhere that can service these things. They're all dotted around the US and Canada.

Comment

Yeah. I had to send my deflection and rgb board to California. It's more frustrating that I have to pay tax to get my own things back...

Comment

Boom.

Half-way through a Parodius run there was a power surge. Now my BVM is dead.

'Utterly defeated' doesn't even begin to cover it.

Comment

Time to quit gaming for a while to learn electronics.

Tomorrow I need to open this thing up and check the damage. Hopefully it's as simple as replacing a cap on the PSU board, failing that replacing the PSU board entirely. The dude I got it from should still have the two bashed in units that were sent to me previously. I've emailed him to check. Hopefully he comes through and I can go on another crazy 1,300km drive.

There absolutely must be a way of bringing this back.
                      Last edited by dataDave; 27-10-2018, 21:56.

Comment

There's a chap on eBay.com who sells kits for repairing BVMs. Maybe worth contacting him? I don't have his username to hand just now but could find it later on.

I bought a replacement deflection board for my BVM from a German seller on eBay and it was quite reasonably priced.

I'm going to sell the BVM anyway as I rarely use it.
                        Last edited by CMcK; 28-10-2018, 08:06.

Comment

Savon-Pat The eBay seller? I think zaki has had dealings with him.

Sorry to hear that dave. Hope you get it sorted mate. Check for internal fuses first. I have seen them in my bvms

Comment

Hopefully it was just a fuse blown. A fuse will blow to prevent excess voltage from going deeper into the circuit and causing more significant damage. First port of call would be the fuse in the cable I'd think. Continuity checking with a multimeter is enough to diagnose a fuse at least.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                              Savon-Pat The eBay seller? I think zaki has had dealings with him.

Sorry to hear that dave. Hope you get it sorted mate. Check for internal fuses first. I have seen them in my bvms
                              Never had a power surge, but had the deflection and RGB boards recapped by Pat.

Had to buy a new PSU - the spare still works, but makes a whining sound for the first minute you turn it on.
                              Last edited by Zaki; 28-10-2018, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                Boom.

Half-way through a Parodius run there was a power surge. Now my BVM is dead.

'Utterly defeated' doesn't even begin to cover it.
                                Dave, what was there a prolonged screen issue with the surge, or did it just cut out instantly?

Comment

Working...
                                X