PVM Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
    Savon-Pat The eBay seller? I think zaki has had dealings with him.
    That's the guy.

Comment

I'd been in touch with Pat last year, although I don't think I need to this time. There will be a big photo update later but I can confirm that the big yellow building that sits in the middle of the PSU/G-board has blown, and even taken a heatsink with it. I'm going to need to do a full transplant so hopefully my man Michael gets back to me.

I could have sworn Pat had a board on eBay last night. It must have sold, but I'm sure he'll be able to salvage more. Let's see if I can source locally first.

Thanks everyone! At least this can be fixed, and I know how to do it myself, which feels good.
      Last edited by dataDave; 28-10-2018, 15:17.

Comment

Here's my pride and joy. I was building my little retro desk on wheels that can easily go anywhere. Plenty of room on here for all the consoles I want later; PS2, PCE, AES, and maybe a Mega Drive or Saturn:

----------------

So this is the heart of the PSU/G-board. This big yellow YEC 70001 headquarters building has fluid leaking all over it, and it looks like it's been like this for a while as there is crusting around the bottom. I'm pretty certain this is where the prior clicking noise was coming from when there was 'NO SYNC' being fed in. From cold it would hold 'NO SYNC' just fine, after a warm-up however it would roll to the red tally. Remember I brushed over this last year, [MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION] ? Hopefully once this board is replaced there will be no such issues.

Here's another shot of this quite blatantly fisted component:

Here is the heatsink. The plastic casing has exploded off.

-----------------------

So there we are. Hopefully I can get a new board. It's a very easy job on the whole so I'll be massively upset if I can't source one. The rest of the caps throughout the unit look fine, and everything is as clean as a whistle.

Comment

If you haven’t already buy a surge protector. Everything attached to a plug in my room is going via one of those, they are not expensive & will save you headaches in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            Here's my pride and joy. I was building my little retro desk on wheels that can easily go anywhere. Plenty of room on here for all the consoles I want later; PS2, PCE, AES, and maybe a Mega Drive or Saturn:

----------------

So this is the heart of the PSU/G-board. This big yellow YEC 70001 headquarters building has fluid leaking all over it, and it looks like it's been like this for a while as there is crusting around the bottom. I'm pretty certain this is where the prior clicking noise was coming from when there was 'NO SYNC' being fed in. From cold it would hold 'NO SYNC' just fine, after a warm-up however it would roll to the red tally. Remember I brushed over this last year, [MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION] ? Hopefully once this board is replaced there will be no such issues.

Here's another shot of this quite blatantly fisted component:

Here is the heatsink. The plastic casing has exploded off.

-----------------------

So there we are. Hopefully I can get a new board. It's a very easy job on the whole so I'll be massively upset if I can't source one. The rest of the caps throughout the unit look fine, and everything is as clean as a whistle.
            did you not keep the one with the cracked case as a backup? If not, maybe the guy could send you spare parts? I think your model is especially for the European market I have never seen one in the flesh. (Or even any one else with it), I did however have the chance recently to pick up 2 of the 9” version of your set, but the screens were just too small. I’d also try Steve from retrotech (youtube) and show him those pics.

Comment

I am working on a really nice dual set up with my 2 jvc 1400pn crts; one horizontal and one tate, each hooked up to a raspberry pi to scart. Pics soon!

Comment

dataDave, can you smell varnish when you have the case off of the monitor? It looks like the transformer (yellow thingy) needs replaced. The varnish seems to have melted on the windings. Could have caused a short which would send a hefty current to components downstream.

Comment

did you not keep the one with the cracked case as a backup?
                  Nah, he took them back as I drove down with them in my boot. This is precisely why I emailed him ASAP because I know he has two boshed in units with perfectly fine PSU boards.

Indeed, it's a BVM-14M4DE (Not U). I guess the components are identical?

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  dataDave, can you smell varnish when you have the case off of the monitor? It looks like the transformer (yellow thingy) needs replaced. The varnish seems to have melted on the windings. Could have caused a short which would send a hefty current to components downstream.
                  I can. Hopefully this hasn't fried anything else other than the components on this board. The last thing I want is to replace the board and then still have problems. >_<

Comment

It's amazing just how many there are of these out in the wild, if you know how to search. The key is in excluding the 'PVM' golden word, you'll find people offering them up for grabs that have no clue about their current day relevance.

I've just found two BVM-14M4DEs going for a tenner each. Trying to arrange shipping from the UK if they are still available.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      It's amazing just how many there are of these out in the wild, if you know how to search. The key is in excluding the 'PVM' golden word, you'll find people offering them up for grabs that have no clue about their current day relevance.

I've just found two BVM-14M4DEs going for a tenner each. Trying to arrange shipping from the UK if they are still available.
                      Dave, i’ll Take 5 of those tenner bvms if there’s any spare buddy? ;-)

Comment

I didn't read this whole thread, but if you're after someone in the UK who repairs these/has repaired them in the past [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] drop me a line and I'll dig out some numbers.
                        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

My accountant's husband is an X-ray tech and master electrician. He says it's the transformer blowing which caused the short, and not the other way around. Apparently it should still work as long as I find a working G-board.

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
                          I didn't read this whole thread, but if you're after someone in the UK who repairs these/has repaired them in the past [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] drop me a line and I'll dig out some numbers.
                          Cheers, but I'm in Holland.

Comment

Any progress at all dave?

Comment

Any progress at all dave?
                              Nope, no replies from anyone.

Comment

Spotted a pair of KX-14CP1 on eBay for £225 and £275 respectively. Imagine paying that for a monitor from the mid 80s. Could have sworn my chassis said 95 though...

Comment

Working...
                                X