PVM Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
    Before I would do any maintenance I would try a different bnc-scart lead. Let me guess the one you use is from retro gaming cables?
    Yes, I agree!
    I’ve had some bad stuff from RGC, a Packapunch cable that basically didn’t work even after sending it back to them, they just sent it back to me saying it worked!
    On top of that, a PS1 cable with no sync wired and a MD cable that was insanely noisy.

They’re a bit **** I’m afraid.

Comment

Before I would do any maintenance I would try a different bnc-scart lead. Let me guess the one you use is from retro gaming cables?
      It is from there, but I also tried nakamura’s which I believe is from somewhere else and the same thing happened.

Comment

I just came here to post exactly this! I turned mine on today for the first time in a while and I also had a rolling picture. I'm still using that duff RGC lead with the dodgy red connection and it seems that the sync line has gone on it now. Terrible. I switched over to the replacement they sent and everything is now fine.

How can a cable die like that when no ****er has ever as much as touched it? In over thirty years of gaming I've never had cables die on me, until now.

Comment

I only ever read bad things about RGC products. Colin sent me a whole AES to diagnose a dodgy cable one time, which was just poorly assembled. Much more faith in my official cables. I do hear their products are “getting better” but I’m not seeing much proof of this.

That said, the people with satisfactory cables probably aren’t going around saying how great their cables are so the vocal customers are likely only going to be the ones with issues right?
          Last edited by speedlolita; 25-02-2019, 10:52.

Comment

I just realised that the phono break-outs on my SFC Packapunch are reversed.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              I just realised that the phono break-outs on my SFC Packapunch are reversed.
              Lol - from the the 4 bnc to scart leads I bought from them, 2 now have a faulty colour line and 1 has a borked bnc....

Comment

I'm going to stick to Ebay for my cables from now on and spend less than a fiver each time. I can't even tell the difference, to be honest - and I'm about as anal as you can get.

Comment

I'm having trouble with my BNC breakout cable form RCG, basically they don't fit onto the BVM terminals tight enough and it causes issues with the colour shifting a lot because the ground isn't always connected and I have to faff around moving the cable till the colour sorts itself out

Comment

Originally posted by gamelife View Post
                    I'm having trouble with my BNC breakout cable form RCG, basically they don't fit onto the BVM terminals tight enough and it causes issues with the colour shifting a lot because the ground isn't always connected and I have to faff around moving the cable till the colour sorts itself out
                    This is precisely what I had to do with my first one when the red started to go off, however they do get worse over time. It's totally impossible to shimmy the red plug around to get a signal now. Then the sync cable started to do the same, resulting in a rolling picture.

Comment

I'm a little torn about what to do now.
                      Andy at Arcade club (who deal with monitor repairs all the times) saw images and reckons it's fixable, but an engineer at a monitor company reckons the yellow means the tube may have gone which can't be replaced

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                        Andy at Arcade club (who deal with monitor repairs all the times) saw images and reckons it's fixable, but an engineer at a monitor company reckons the yellow means the tube may have gone which can't be replaced
                        Bollox. Ask Grant.

Unless he's the engineer you're talking about

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                          Have you tried other video sources or are you just using RGB?

Personally i’d Leave it Andy for further diagnostics, then decide whether it’s cost effective to get it repaired (if possible).

Comment

What a faff.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              What a faff.
                              Yes it is. But that's what happens when you buy ancient TVs. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. [MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION] It's an engineer at finepoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                                Bollox. Ask Grant.

Unless he's the engineer you're talking about
                                He could advise, but definitely won't fix a PVM. Asked him about an old 20" I had a while ago. He wasn't keen on touching them,
                                3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
                                X