PVM Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

you should keep your eye open for a small pvm Leon - much more readily available and a good stop gap until you get your BVM!

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
      you should keep your eye open for a small pvm Leon - much more readily available and a good stop gap until you get your BVM!
      I have my heart & mind set on getting a top quality large BVM at some point. Just need a windfall.

The way you go on about them.. I expect to be amazed.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-11-2019, 18:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        I have my mind & heart set on getting a top quality large BVM at some point. Just need a windfall.

The way you go on about them.. I expect to be amazed.

Comment

Comment

22mb scanline flex:

(Open image in new tab or zoom on phone)

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              22mb scanline flex:

(Open image in new tab or zoom on phone)
              What’s the chassis dave?

Comment

What’s the chassis dave?
                PVM-14M2.

I have a bunch of other nerdy shots of each corner, showing off the pristine convergence - but I guess it's only you who'd be interested in those.

I'd basically be a bit of a knob for even thinking about re-capping this at any point in the foreseeable future. To think that this was going to be my donor unit for the g-board into my BVM...

Comment

PVM-14M2.

I have a bunch of other nerdy shots of each corner, showing off the pristine convergence - but I guess it's only you who'd be interested in those.

I'd basically be a bit of a knob for even thinking about re-capping this at any point in the foreseeable future. To think that this was going to be my donor unit for the g-board into my BVM...
                  Fire them up! That’s a nice shot for an M2. Did you use convergence strips on the tube or rotate the rings? The corners are the hardest bit to get right. I think a recap of a unit with no issues is really not necessary. My last purchase was a 14L2MD; really lovely unit and had a BKM 129x installed as a bonus!

Comment

Yes mate. Read about that in some other thread/forum. Isn't that the one with the dark screen or something which gives better contrast? Sexy.

I didn't do anything to this other than clear out the dust with a brush and some compressed air. Then I took some IPA and a spectacles cloth and gave the ray gun glass a bit of a 'wedgie' all around to get all of the black soot build-up off of it. After letting it warm up I then loosened the yoke as there was a slight tilt to the display - probably due to the transit when moving to this new house. I set that right and then adjusted the focus for maximum justice.

Comment

Image 9-C1-D6-FB1-2273-4-E8-B-8-ED2-525-C3-B3-E2-EEE hosted in ImgBB

Black level on the L2MD is amazing

Comment

Yes mate. Read about that in some other thread/forum. Isn't that the one with the dark screen or something which gives better contrast? Sexy.

I didn't do anything to this other than clear out the dust with a brush and some compressed air. Then I took some IPA and a spectacles cloth and gave the ray gun glass a bit of a 'wedgie' all around to get all of the black soot build-up off of it. After letting it warm up I then loosened the yoke as there was a slight tilt to the display - probably due to the transit when moving to this new house. I set that right and then adjusted the focus for maximum justice.
                        Nice - looks like a some vertical errors still in the top left. Maybe a small magnet / strip would sort that out? To be honest I have never seen totally perfect convergence, even on a 14 BVM with full digital sector convergence. I’ve seen it pretty close though.

BVM 14E5E
                        Image B527132-B-A1-BD-44-ED-97-AC-2-E6-AAAF589-BB hosted in ImgBB

Image 0348-C7-AD-8-A1-A-479-B-A7-E4-60-B9226574-C4 hosted in ImgBB

Image 83-B7-BC14-4-B79-4-D0-C-B8-A1-F57-FEEE0556-B hosted in ImgBB

Comment

I know what you mean with the top left corner. That only happens on mid-grays, and only noticeable if you're looking closer than three inches away (or taking macro shots - I didn't even notice it until I looked at the photos after). I could trim it off by increasing the width one notch, but like to use these settings for reference.

Comment

So I now have a Sony 2950QM and I'm thinking of getting rid of it.
                            Aside from a tiny scratch I made during transport the machine looks great and I'm blown away by how good SNES, Saturn, Mega Drive and N64 games look on it. I've also got my Xbox, PS2 and Wii Set up and this is were the issues are arising. Anything in 480i has a combing effect which is quite distracting. It's more noticeable on some games than others and I don't remember seeing it on the 19inch Sony PVM I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                              So I now have a Sony 2950QM and I'm thinking of getting rid of it.
                              Aside from a tiny scratch I made during transport the machine looks great and I'm blown away by how good SNES, Saturn, Mega Drive and N64 games look on it. I've also got my Xbox, PS2 and Wii Set up and this is were the issues are arising. Anything in 480i has a combing effect which is quite distracting. It's more noticeable on some games than others and I don't remember seeing it on the 19inch Sony PVM I had.
                              You don’t buy a pro monitor for 480i....a good trinitron consumer set does a better job.

If you want the best quality using original hardware, get am older pc crt and use 480p for the cube and original Xbox (although there are a few games that won’t work in this mode, but there may now be workarounds). The ps2 is harder to get looking good as 99% of the, library is 480i. There are tricks and workarounds you can use with an extron and even a ‘teletext’ trick on older sonys, to deinterlace, for a faux 240p. Fagin has some good vids on YouTube.

Going down a rabbit hole here, though.

Comment

You don’t buy a pro monitor for 480i....a good trinitron consumer set does a better job.

If you want the best quality using original hardware, get am older pc crt and use 480p for the cube and original Xbox (although there are a few games that won’t work in this mode, but there may now be workarounds). The ps2 is harder to get looking good as 99% of the, library is 480i. There are tricks and workarounds you can use with an extron and even a ‘teletext’ trick on older sonys, to deinterlace, for a faux 240p. Fagin has some good vids on YouTube.

Going down a rabbit hole here, though.
                                The last pvm I had was absolutely fine for the xbox and wii. I wonder if it’s more noticeable due to the sheer size?

Comment

Working...
                                X