No announcement yet.

Analogue Super Nt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were you I’d just go with the one that will give you the most pleasure.

At the end of the day you can get a decent experience just downloading a ROM of whatever you’ll play to your PC right this moment, connecting a pad and getting on with playing it (unless you are super sensitive to occasional frameskips or slight inaccuracies).*

So, have fun with it I say. Choose whichever excites you

*not knocking FPGA at all here to be clear - I think the tech, whether it’s Mister or Analogue, is mega cool!
    Last edited by wakka; 11-08-2021, 18:56.

Comment

[MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION]

To help you decide, try to find somewhere with the DE10 nano in stock, fail, then resign yourself to the analogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
        Nice, thanks for the detailed break down @Brad

I'm still eyeing up the Analogue consoles and despite thinking about it non stop during my lunchtime walk, afternoon at work and after cutting the front and back garden and now sitting on our patio with a G&T, I still can't ****ing decide!

Mister makes a lot of sense but it's a mini PC (To all intents and purposes) and I feel like a plug and play console under the TV would be nice. Also, with just 1 system, you're not liable to endless scroll through Roms and not play anything.

Hmm, decisions, decisions!
        I bought a Mega SG a couple of years ago and really like it, for similar reasons to those you've mentioned.

It's a stand-alone console that made me focus on the MD/MS/GG library. I've bought a few real cartridges that I can use with it, but also with the jailbreak firmware I can play any other ROMs I fancy. It's well designed and looks quite premium, it's much more compact than real hardware and I don't have to use a sclaer, step-down converter etc. I also limit myself to a small selection of ROMs at any one time to take away that temptation to scroll through playing everything once (other people may not have this problem, but I certainly do!).

I've just ordered a Super NT to go alongside it, though I do plan to get a MiSTer at some stage, largely for the arcade cores.

If you were looking at the Super NT, one thing to bear in mind is that I don't think it supports all of the custom chips if you're planning to use the jailbreak firmware, so you would also need something like an SD2SNES, though if you were just looking for some of the more common titles like Yoshi's Island you can get an SFC loose cart quite cheaply.

Comment

I love the idea of a Mister thingy but they confuse the hell out of me & I doubt I'll ever understand what I need to use one (as an example of my ineptitude at this stuff I couldn't even get a Ras Pi working) so things like the Mega SG & Super NT really appeal to me

I am sorely tempted to grab one now they are back in stock again but the shipping & customs probably be more than the machine itself these days

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
            I am sorely tempted to grab one now they are back in stock again but the shipping & customs probably be more than the machine itself these days

Neil
            Use one of the US forwarding companies, I use Stackry and it’s honestly amazing, I get my Limited Run and eBay stuff delivered there and then forwarded with FedEx and it has saved me a fortune in shipping and customs fees..

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              [MENTION=680]Wools[/MENTION]

To help you decide, try to find somewhere with the DE10 nano in stock, fail, then resign yourself to the analogue.

over a 1000 currently

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
                You're not helping him! Good to see stocks back up though.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

If any of 'yall interested, I'm still paralysed with choice and just sitting online looking at videos and reviews, achieving nothing.

Comment

If any of 'yall interested, I'm still paralysed with choice and just sitting online looking at videos and reviews, achieving nothing.
                    i have the Mister and both analogue consoles, all are great:

Mister - does more than just the MD and super Nintendo, that makes it the obvious choice, set up is relatively straight forward, not going to lie, there are tweaks needed to make it work properly, its not plug and play like the analogue machines. but there are great guides and the auto update scripts take a lot of hassle out of the set up. all you actually do is add roms to the games folder for the consoles/computers/arcade you want, then set up your controller and display settings.

currently the mister does not do the MSU audio for the snes games and i use my super NT for those. but that is all, if that ever gets sorted my super NT and SD2Snes are gone!

if you look at the cost of the Mister against the super NT/mega SG its an obvious choice, Mister will be cheaper, and you would get a way with the DE10, usb hub and maybe the just the 32mb ram, you don't need any of the extras if its only the snes and mega drive your after initially, and you could always add the extras later as you get into more.

Comment

Yep ^^^
                      If you later hanker to output to a CRT then you can do that, bypassing the HDMI completely i.e. raw, same lag as original systems RGB output. Want amazing audio? Take the optical digital audio from the Mister and put it through your DAC. Add games to the device by FTPing them across. Tons of screen filter options. Wanna go super retro and play 2-player Spacewar on the PDP-1?

Want it to look nice under your TV? Get an Analogue system. Or get your hands dirty and make a custom case for the Mister. Most readily available cases are pretty awful to look at. Mine is just clear Perspex plates top and bottom :-(

Comment

I go through this process for literally anything I buy so I sympathise

Comment

The big turn-off for Analogue systems for me is the fact that it's so hard to decide on just one. So then you get sucked into the trap of wanting all of them, which is a hugely expensive, stressful, and equally heartbreaking exercise.

Also, people who get confused over setting up a MiSTer shouldn't be allowed to drive a car. It's astonishingly simple, and actually quite a satisfying process. The hardest part is deciding which controller to use.

Comment

The Pocket is obviously the one to get if you only want one.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              The big turn-off for Analogue systems for me is the fact that it's so hard to decide on just one. So then you get sucked into the trap of wanting all of them, which is a hugely expensive, stressful, and equally heartbreaking exercise.

Also, people who get confused over setting up a MiSTer shouldn't be allowed to drive a car. It's astonishingly simple, and actually quite a satisfying process. The hardest part is deciding which controller to use.
                              Here take my keys now because I can guarantee you I'll never manage it

Neil

Comment

I have a pretty strong technical background and whilst I haven't tried setting one up, when I was researching what I would need to buy it was hard to find a clear explanation of the different components. I did eventually piece it together (and I may have missed a very good resource!), but I can appreciate it might be a bit daunting to someone who just wants a way to play the games.

Comment

Working...
                                X