TV recommendation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV recommendation.

We've bought an investment flat that is now nearing the end of its renovation and want a TV for it around the 40" size. The flat is going to double as an airbnb property as well as somewhere our friends and family can stay when visiting, if it was solely an airbnb I'd stick any crappy Asda TV in it, but since it's family too something decent would be nice. Any recommendations sub £400/450?

I checked out what was in Currys and there were two sets that caught my eye image wise, a Samsung and a Panasonic.

Thanks Boris, I think the Samsung and Panasonic are in the same range as the two I was considering (49" Panasonic, 43" Samsung)

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
      Thanks Boris, I think the Samsung and Panasonic are in the same range as the two I was considering (49" Panasonic, 43" Samsung)
      I think you'll be fine at that price point, non will be terrible

Comment

If you're going to spend £500 @Colin I'd highly recommend just placing a wanted ad over on AVF as you'll find something really good, worth the money and local quite quickly as that lot have backlogs of TVs like we do games. You'll end up with a slightly older, used set but it will be the best possible one as someone else would've already done the legwork with weeding out banding, backlight issues etc.. and it all makes life so much simpler and you'll end up with an image far in advance of anything you'd get for comparable money from the shops.

Comment

It's not a bad idea RS, but every single thing in there is brand new and with it being a holiday rental place we'd rather have warranty on everything. The money that's been spent on it is ridiculous, I just don't feel a need to spend a fortune on a TV for it, I haven't even upgraded our own TV for well over five years. (Might even be nearer ten!)

Comment

In that case I'd buy a new one for you and put the antiques roadshow special in the airbnb. With everything else spanky new no one is going to moan about an old tv and once it starts making some loot then think about putting a new one in and offset it against the taxable income.

Comment

I'll never change our current TV until the day it dies, I love it, and have zero desire/need to upgrade to 4K etc. I'll buy a set this weekend probably, I've set a budget but may well get carried away, you never know.

Comment

Stay away from sub £1k Panasonic's, and especially stay clear of £500 ones! i got my daughter a £400 pana a few years back and its terrible.
                pretty sure they re-badge cheap TV's at that price point.

Go for Samsung or LG down at the £500.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  I'll never change our current TV until the day it dies, I love it, and have zero desire/need to upgrade to 4K etc. I'll buy a set this weekend probably, I've set a budget but may well get carried away, you never know.
                  I did that. Went in to buy a £400 set and ended up spunking £1800! It's too easily done!

Comment

The £4-500 LG’s I looked at in Currys had awful picture quality, which I was surprised at as I love the 60” LG we have at home. Samsung and Panasonic were definitely miles ahead.

Comment

The TVs in Currys will be setup in the silly shop mode most manufacturers push. Go back and bung them on cinema mode or equivalent.
                      LG TVs will have Web OS which is the top dog of TV UIs and likely feature an IPS panel. Great for viewing angles but not quite as good for blacks as the VA panels Samsung use.
                      But VA panels are poor for viewing angles so it depends on where your TV will be positioned relative to the seats in the room.

Comment

Personally, I'd get the biggest telly in your budget to increase that wow factor for visitors.

Most people aren't going to be bothered if the telly is 4K or whatnot, some won't even turn it on, but think about when you walk into a hotel and there's a tiny telly in the corner of the room or some impressive flatscreen behemoth.

At best, they're going to want to plug in something to the HDMI slot (laptop, camera, Amazon Firestick), so it really doesn't need to be fully equipped.

Obviously, don't get Polaroid or some unknown brand like Viewzatronic (made that up), but maybe get an end-of life bargain that's new, but no longer being produced by the manufacturer.
                        Plenty of places do this. In fact, I was following a van last night that delivered tellies that were end-of-life and thought "I must remember the website".

I forgot the website!

Somebody like this, though:
                        https://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/discount-tvs

47" LG £249

48" Panasonic £329

48" Samsung £349

49" LG £369

55" JVC £369

Comment

Gotta recomend the LG's if going cheap, got one for my ma and one for our new office at work in a similar range and pic quality had been very sound and the web os a dream to use.

Comment

Should be some bargains around at the moment as all the 2018 ranges were launched at CES last month.

Comment

Working...
                            X