Xbox One: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    Indeed. But what we're also coming up on is a time when major releases forgo physical. So even the £40ish cheaper games on Amazon et all become a thing of the past.
    Pretty much like music then, Tbh I know of no one who's doesn't buy music digitally these days, much less use their CD players

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Pretty much like music then, Tbh I know of no one who's doesn't buy music digitally these days, much less use their CD players
      Now you do :-) I don't use a CD player though, except to rip the CD initially.

Comment

Indeed, quick look at Amazon and my last CD was an OST for the girls in 2015! I do like having a collection of loved music in FLAC but with a family plan on Spotify it's just not something I'm spending money on. Tbh even though I run a Plex server too I've started to buy movies on Amazon Prime as it's just so much more convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Now you do :-) I don't use a CD player though, except to rip the CD initially.
          There's always one

Comment

Indeed, quick look at Amazon and my last CD was an OST for the girls in 2015! I do like having a collection of loved music in FLAC but with a family plan on Spotify it's just not something I'm spending money on. Tbh even though I run a Plex server too I've started to buy movies on Amazon Prime as it's just so much more convenient.
            I still buy my rock albums (Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, Brujeria) from Amazon in physical form on CD. I like the fact that Amazon then adds any physical CD album I buy to its digital store, so I can play it on my phone, without the need of ripping the CD and copying it over.

Comment

I still buy my rock albums (Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, Brujeria) from Amazon in physical form on CD. I like the fact that Amazon then adds any physical CD album I buy to its digital store, so I can play it on my phone, without the need of ripping the CD and copying it over.
              Very neat feature autorip, also the quality of the encoding is really spot on and DRM free. There was a difference vs a 320 kbps MP3 I'd ripped. That said I don't mind ripping CD's because it's easier in comparison to a BluRay of DVD film.

Comment

Until there's a formal pre-owned style system in place for games, going 100% digital remains madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  Until there's a formal pre-owned style system in place for games, going 100% digital remains madness.

Comment

Very neat feature autorip, also the quality of the encoding is really spot on and DRM free. There was a difference vs a 320 kbps MP3 I'd ripped. That said I don't mind ripping CD's because it's easier in comparison to a BluRay of DVD film.
                    Yeah, its a great feature by Amazon. But other than my rock Albums I buy all my music digitally so it can be played on my phone or via my Mini Hi-Fi or Amp via Wi-Fi/BlueTooth.

Comment

£50-£60 per game as a flat out fee is awful especially when most games aren't worth keeping indefinitely. It's one of the cornerstones of why physical media has a defense (amongst other reasons). I enjoyed God of War but Sony can sod off if they think I'd pay £59.99 for God of War 5.
                      I paid £45 off an online store for the last game, nailed it in an few days with no intent to replay it and traded it in for £42. It's simply outright anti-consumer to remove purchasing options that are cheaper.

The counter argument ends up often being about how PC users manage being all-digital but it's very different there as games can be picked up for hugely discounted prices in comparison to consoles and the market is much more robust so more consumer friendly. Do I trust MS and Sony to change their store pricing models to be like this for outright purchases? Hell no.

It broadly doesn't matter, MS is headed down a road with Game Pass that one way or another side steps the issue. Sony will likely be forced to react in some way too at some point but as things stand people are throwing a staggering amount of money away to avoid the incredibly first world problem of swapping the disc in a drive.

Comment

I think it doesn't matter becuase physical is going anyway. And unlike PC there won't be a grey market for CD keys.

Although physical has its benefits in this age of online, multiplats it feels discs are coasters where much of the benefit has gone.

I agree I'm not paying £60 for GoW. I think I paid £30 for it in a sale. Game Pass isn't going to stop thinks like £92 versions of The Division 2 and what not.

Comment

Fortunately though physical is still going to be around for at least the next decade so there's plenty time for MS and Sony to have to react to market competition which will hopefully force them into adopting a better model. Once Sony and MS 100% become digital or streaming services, gamers really have no reasons to rely on them anymore so neither can feel secure they'll enjoy the market command they do currently.

Comment

I think it doesn't matter becuase physical is going anyway. And unlike PC there won't be a grey market for CD keys.
                            Yep its the way the world is going like it or not, even game manuals are digital these days, hell my pay slip is digital too these days lol

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              £50-£60 per game as a flat out fee is awful especially when most games aren't worth keeping indefinitely.
                              Don't buy on the release day. I live 1 year in the past and pick up the games I want in digital sales. OK I can't trade them in, but I honestly can think of a more awkward way of shopping then dragging out a stack of games from a rucksack like a 14 year old.

Comment

It's better if you wait but it's still the same issue, paying say £25 vs paying £25 and getting £15 back on trade. I'm worse off with zero benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                X