Xbox One: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
    All digital is the way ahead. I hate it but when the new Spyro game needs a 40Gb+ download why even bother fighting.
    I don't think its 100% the way ahead. I would guess MS and SONY would still make Disc based systems and well maybe system without discs too . I see it very much like when I buy an Album for Amazon I get a disc-based version and the Album added to my digital store as well. Tbh I don't even bother with the CD based versions at all and don't quite get why everyone is so against digital when they happy stream or use MP3 for all their music needs.

The infrastructure just is not there (and never will be with the sh8t that is BT Openworld) for a complete digital download just yet for games imo, Maybe in 50 years, not in 2020

Comment

It will be way faster than 50 years. 50 years ago it was 1968 and the consumer internet was still 20 years away. 20 years ago everyone was maxing out at 56k and a lot of people were still on 28k, but look how far we’ve come.

Digital only IS the future, and MS will be launching a disc less streaming box alongside the regular Xbox Two I’m sure. Disc systems will still be around for a while (certainly next gen, probably the gen after too) but it’s definitely a case of when, not if, they disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        It will be way faster than 50 years. 50 years ago it was 1968 and the consumer internet was still 20 years away. 20 years ago everyone was maxing out at 56k and a lot of people were still on 28k, but look how far we’ve come.
        I can't see it with BT Openreach. In my area there are places that can't get Broadband, never mind Fibre and when BT Openreach still think the future is FTTC and not FTTH, there isn't much hope. How that corp is allowed to have the contract of the UK digital future is quite beyond me .

BT Openreach are a joke in the digital age and the UK lagging (pardon the pun) most of the World for the rollout of Super Fast broadband

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          I don't think its 100% the way ahead. I would guess MS and SONY would still make Disc based systems and well maybe system without discs too . I see it very much like when I buy an Album for Amazon I get a disc-based version and the Album added to my digital store as well. Tbh I don't even bother with the CD based versions at all and don't quite get why everyone is so against digital when they happy stream or use MP3 for all their music needs.

The infrastructure just is not there (and never will be with the sh8t that is BT Openworld) for a complete digital download just yet for games imo, Maybe in 50 years, not in 2020
          Easily available in Singapore, rest of the world I'm guessing no.

Comment

Easily available in Singapore, rest of the world I'm guessing no.
            I don't think Singapore is one of SONY or MS main markets. It's not like even the USA leads the way for Super Fast Broadband. Its just so patchy in various aera's .

Comment

A discless XBO makes a kind of sense with GamePass but that's still about it. Such a system 100% needs to be sub-$99 and I imagine will still seem pretty redundant if they get a Super Slim out the door for a low price too, you'd easily lose as much if not more by skipping the disc drive.

Digital is still in a place that unless you have very specific regional issues with getting hold of games it makes no real sense to rely on it if a physical edition exists. Console games are a conveyer belt of digital rip off RRP's and until that changes players would be better boycotting them rather than fully embracing them.

The business infrastructure for content management also sucks ass in gaming too and would need sorting which doesn't seem to be happening much in most circles.

I'm still not convinced by GamePass yet either. As a consumer the idea of paying £7-14 a year and playing Xbox's biggest exclusives on release in full is great but unless you're behind on your gaming the service does have a content issue and whilst MS is keen to see third parties release stuff on day one it's really hard to see how they'd make money if they did so. I'm suspicious that GamePass works atm because it isn't heavy on new content. I'd love to see the math behind it, it's very easy for them to trumpet about the high number of subs in these early days of cheap or free trials etc but when you have a long term drop off as users catch up on available content will the numbers be sustainable to keep steady releases profitable when the money taken is so low. It's hard to imagine £7.99 lasting long if the service grows next gen

Comment

I don't think Singapore is one of SONY or MS main markets. It's not like even the USA leads the way for Super Fast Broadband. Its just so patchy in various aera's .
                And yet 50Gb plus patches are becoming the norm.

Comment

And yet 50Gb plus patches are becoming the norm.
                  Hardly, when most games aren't even that size. Just don't see the infrastructure is there where you can have millions of people looking to download the same game, all at the same time. Not in the USA, large parts of Europe and definitely in the UK. Think we'll have disc-based next-gen systems in 2020, but maybe also cheaper systems without a drive and so it's for the consumer to chose based on their needed and internet coverage

Comment

Eh? Come 2019 physical networks are going to quickly become a thing of the past. Physical media will follow shortly after.

Comment

I received a message on Xbox Live with a code for "a free Digital Deluxe Pack to unlock 7-day Champion Status and other great in-game content" for For Honor. I guess everyone who claimed it when it was free as part of Games with Gold will have gotten this message.

QKCM7-Q6W7C-396T6-JK7CK-2J4DZ

Comment

Hardly, when most games aren't even that size. Just don't see the infrastructure is there where you can have millions of people looking to download the same game, all at the same time. Not in the USA, large parts of Europe and definitely in the UK. Think we'll have disc-based next-gen systems in 2020, but maybe also cheaper systems without a drive and so it's for the consumer to chose based on their needed and internet coverage

You must be using the original Xbox.

Comment

My Xbox keeps offering me things like GamePass for £1 and Gold for 70% off and when you click on the link it’s actually just full price. Is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                            Eh? Come 2019 physical networks are going to quickly become a thing of the past. Physical media will follow shortly after.
                            If that was the case they'll be no need for MS to make the One X or build both streaming systems and also a standalone console for the next gen. Network isn't there at the moment to support it and with OpenReach in the UK, it never will be

Comment

You must be using the original Xbox.
                              Yeah, I still love and use the OG XBox thanks

Comment

I haven't regretted going digital for my One X at all. I never buy (Xbox One) games at full price and it's super convenient if you have time to wait for price drops and sales. Definitely wouldn't mind a discless system if I had other means to watch Blu-rays.

Still 100% physical for Nintendo though!
                                Last edited by Nico87; 20-11-2018, 11:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X