Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 CFW coming to all models (Superslim owners rejoice!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Phats and most Slims are downgradable via this method currently so it's quite refined and battle tested, just the later machines had an issue because they came with firmware >3.60 and that is what this bit of info is about because you need to roll back to 3.55 before updating to cfw.

Comment

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

Comment

One step closer:
        About the Video >>>:Tested on CECHE01 w/ OFW 4.82
        1. Verifying the firmware is the latest OFW,
        2. Downloading a demo PS3 game from PSN
        3. Running the original
        4. Enabling IPF [install Package Files]
        5. Verifying the mod content cannot be installed
        6. HAXing it to allow custom PKG
        7. Installing the custom mod
        8. Running the modded content.

What will this future exploit provide?
        • "Install PKG Files" unlocked on XMB (Retail / Debug PKGs,) *No PS3 Homebrew Support
        • PS1 Emulator Support
        • PS2 Emulator Support
        • PSP Emulator Support
        • PS3 Backup Support (Convert your PS3 Game to Digital PKG - npdrm* (requires game update for disc game backups to work))
        • New Resigning Tools

What you need to know about the legacy PlayStation emulators?
        • PS1 emulation is very good on the PS3, most games will play fine
        • Ps2 emulation is hit and miss on the PS3 (slightly more then half PS2 titles will work fine)
        • PsP emulation is roughly about a 40% success rate for the PS3
        • PS3 Backups - Require a Game Update

The lack of homebrew is a bit boo-urns but the rest of the stuff is quite welcome. Should be released in March and it looks like there is more faff on involved with ripping discs to the HD than with a proper CFW but at least we can install PKGs of games.

Comment

Apparently you will require an activated console with a throwaway PSN account and the exploit for SuperSlims will run on 4.82 so best to update now and create that account as it will work by using the activation file Sony generates on your drive (psn account->account management->activate system for games)

Comment

JP SuperSlim on 4.82 here, will be keeping my eye on this!

Mind you, if Sony releases 4.83 and I can't use Netflix/etc without updating then I'll have to sit this one out. My PS3 is mainly for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and the lack of homebrew support makes it much less interesting.

I have around fifty games installed(probably around 70-80 actual purchases across all my accounts) so until I can play something brilliant like Outrun Online I'll just enjoy my backlog.

Comment

Yes, the lack of brew is a bit of a beyotch but the allure of Outrun Online is just simply too much to refuse as its such an ace game even if the PS3 version is totally cut down of all extras.

Comment

I have a 1st gen US 60GB model, would love it to be regionfree on PS2-games and bluray/DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                  Yes, the lack of brew is a bit of a beyotch but the allure of Outrun Online is just simply too much to refuse as its such an ace game even if the PS3 version is totally cut down of all extras.
                  I *think* I might have Outrun 2 PS2 on my PS2 HDD back in the UK. There's definitely a few games on there I'd love to play now on PS3, like Tokyo Bus Guide 2!

Comment

Question is...why oh why would you ever own a super slim. Terrible piece of machinery!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                      I *think* I might have Outrun 2 PS2 on my PS2 HDD back in the UK. There's definitely a few games on there I'd love to play now on PS3, like Tokyo Bus Guide 2!
                      Fair warning PS2 O2 runs like ass and is nowhere near as smooth as it was back then but its still passable if you're not a 60FPS fiend like me as I did still enjoy it once I'd shifted into how it played but Online Arcade on the other hand is simply stunning visually and is smooth as silk and can still be obtained if one knows where to look

Originally posted by Das View Post
                      Question is...why oh why would you ever own a super slim. Terrible piece of machinery!
                      This is a good question and one I pondered heavily before buying the console design equivalent of a Foreman grill but after an all day and night play session of MGS3 one day and realizing that the machine was totally silent as well as tiny then I was willing to forgive its overall cheapo aesthetic:

The Phats are off the table due to how unreliable they are now and virtually every single Slim I'd seen had had a really hard life as people really played this console like crazy whereas the SuperSlims were quite cheap and often in brand new condition as they'd hardly been used and that was the main draw for me. Still prefer the way the Slim looks though but finding a decent low mileage one is nigh on impossible now.

Comment

Fair enough, although there are still some very good slims out there but I agree...a bit more of a gamble! I've fixed a few super slims and had them apart. I honestly was shocked at how shoddy the workmanship is compared to the other two consoles. I can't imagine longevity will be great unless they are well maintained. I hate that loading door too!

But...it's great if it helps keeps the PS3 scene going. In my view, the best mainstream console for all round gaming needs. PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3 and runs most emulators perfectly.

Comment

That cheapo door is my main bugbear as well but thankfully once the exploit kicks in everything will be running off the HD so it'll be even quieter. I've never opened up a SuperSlim, what would you say was shoddy about its insides? What kind of maintenance would you recommend for the SuperSlims?

To me it was a simple case of less mileage = more longevity as we all know how bad the cooling situation has been with PS3s since the jump and how few people actually open them up to clean them or replace the thermal paste as so many that I checked out were either loud or battered and the ones that were in good nick were in excess of a £100 which is nuts considering PS4s were going for a little bit more.

Sadly homebrew isn't a feature thats activated in this exploit yet but being able to play PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games on on machine with the proper controller and decent to good compatibility/emulation is so cool plus there are so many dope exclusives on the platform that still hold up well and are worth a punt.

Comment

The housing was really my main issue. The plastic used is so thin and brittle. So if you do ever open it up be wary of that! The teeth which hold the casings together snap very easily indeed. The optical drive is just as cheap, noisy too. Just keep it cool and give it a good hoover from time to time, I wouldn't go replacing thermal paste unless you run it for 12 hours continually at a time next to a radiator or something!

So will the new cfw for the later firmwares still be rebug based? (Tldr, at work!)

Comment

Thanks for that, as long as the internal mechanical parts are sound then I'm cool but I see what you're saying about the cheapo plastic though because it feels that way.

The later machines will not be getting an all singing all dancing CFW ala Rebug and co but more of a HEN based loader that is triggered via the browser exploit in order to facilitate piracy and whatnot. It all seems like a bit of a faff compared to how easy CFW was but I'm only interested in ripping my discs to the drive and loading up some now deleted from PSN classics along with a few older games so its cool for me but I can see why the older machines would have more allure as everything is self contained and very straight forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Das View Post
                                Because... I wanted one!

I have a regular Slim back in the U.K. but didn't bring it to Japan with me. When I wanted to buy one here, the Super Slims were decent value and also new. Used Slims were barely cheaper than new Supers.

It's much quieter than my Slim when playing games but occasionally a BR film will release the kraken!

It has frozen on me a few times, though, which never happened with my Slim.

Comment

Working...
                                X