Retro|Spective 027: Onimusha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
    The NTSC-J has English options (text and speech, IIRC). Only the first game, mind; the sequels are Japanese language only.
    Wasn’t the Japanese PS2 release of Onimusha (1) the only version that has no censorship? I remember this version was the one to play if you want the “full package” back in the days....

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
      Are they? I thought they looked guff. A genji title was out on the PS2 originally, so I can’t see that being the case.
      Easy now! The first Genji on PS2 was a beautiful game. Really, really good.

The PS3 game...less so.

Comment

I played Onimusha 3, and was stupid enough to buy the katana-shaped controller, which looked great but was unwieldy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Caprica View Post
          Wasn’t the Japanese PS2 release of Onimusha (1) the only version that has no censorship? I remember this version was the one to play if you want the “full package” back in the days....
          Yup, although the censorship amounted to about 15 seconds of a CG cutscene - they removed a part where a Japanese woman gave birth to a big demon bee- you see the birth, but not the actual childbirth bit. A shame, but ultimately nothing of great value was lost.

Comment

I played the one where you got a panda suit with flip-top head as a reward for completion.

It's not quite up there with Resident Evil's reward of a quad-barrelled rocket launcher with Infinite ammo, is it?

Comment

This place discussing NTSC v PAL preferences again

It's the 20th Anniversary in 3 years so if DMC collection does okay I could see Capcom rolling out an Onimusha HD Remaster Collection for a quick buck for that. It's a shame Capcom walked away so quickly, it would have been interesting to see what a Resi 4 inspired Onimusha 5 would have offered though I'd have wanted something closer to the original trilogy. I've never played Oni 4 but the aesthetic of the game always looked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                It's a shame Capcom walked away so quickly, it would have been interesting to see what a Resi 4 inspired Onimusha 5 would have offered though I'd have wanted something closer to the original trilogy.
                Personally? Don't want to be controversial for the sake of it but I'm happy if the series stays buried. I played all of the games to some degree (barring 4); I even still own Tactics, but I just don't think there is anywhere it can go that it hasn't already gone. 3 was certainly epic; the combat was good, the story was fun, but by the end of it I was kinda done.

I wouldn't want it to become played out.

Comment

Try 4 if that’s what you feel. It almost became an RPG, and felt like a natural evolution. I loved it at the time.

I worry if they brought it back, they would do what Dino Crisis 2 did folllowing the first, and drastically change the format. I love Onimusha as it is!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I played the one where you got a panda suit with flip-top head as a reward for completion.

It's not quite up there with Resident Evil's reward of a quad-barrelled rocket launcher with Infinite ammo, is it?
                    I loved that haha!

ONI 4 has Street Fighter costumes, with music too!

Comment

Upon thinking about it, Onimusha 2 was my favourite.

The mechanics were fleshed out, the story was better, there was more variety in gameplay, multiple characters, better bosses, and a longer game- but not too long.

The best thing was the replay value in having multiple NPCs, and a gift system to get them onside- depending on who you sided with you got different locations and scenarios- each with their own stories. That’s at least four separate playthroughs each with different stuff happening.

3 felt a little bit of a letdown after that if I’m honest- however I’m much more forgiving of it now.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post
                        Upon thinking about it, Onimusha 2 was my favourite.

The mechanics were fleshed out, the story was better, there was more variety in gameplay, multiple characters, better bosses, and a longer game- but not too long.

The best thing was the replay value in having multiple NPCs, and a gift system to get them onside- depending on who you sided with you got different locations and scenarios- each with their own stories. That’s at least four separate playthroughs each with different stuff happening.

3 felt a little bit of a letdown after that if I’m honest- however I’m much more forgiving of it now.
                        Totally with you man, I have the most nostalgia for 1, but I agree 2 is the best man!

Comment

I played the first game over Christmas and it's the right length to dip back into and blast through.

My main complaint with it is how the enemies feel randomly placed rather than inhabiting the world. Resident Evil felt consistent; zombies locked in rooms or wandering a corridor, Hunters being introduced as a big event, dogs primarily outside and Chimeras in one end game location. Onimusha just scatters stuff about with some wonky enemy pacing and not much thought to the fiction or world.

Same with the locked doors. Resident Evil's mansion was (in the fiction) built by a mad man so all the keys and crests made sense. Onimusha just has coloured doors that unlock with your weapon upgrades. There's no fiction or reasoning to them, they're just there to block specific parts.

Really enjoyed playing through it again after all these years and it looks really nice. I really miss the Resident Evil/Onimusha style game design. One location, lots of exploring and unlocking of areas and a contained experience.

Comment

Have you played Resi 7 [MENTION=3985]chopemon[/MENTION]?

It does a good job of bringing that type of experience up to date.

Comment

Happy to say I own every game on this list, although I've only played Tactics and Blade Warriors a handful of times.

I ***LOVE*** the Onimusha games, Dawn Of Dreams is probably the strongest with its highly upgradeable gameplay, Oni 2 is a very worthy sequel, 3 is great but kinda wonky in feel...I like the original best. It's the purest and most atmospheric, no gimmicks.

Was thinking last Thursday why nobody ever wanted to revisit Onimusha. Even the weaker games were very brill.

Comment

Genji (PS2) is very cool and looks/plays great but is very easy and ultimately quite beige of an experience once you get through it.

Only thing you really remember is that it was a very slick Onimusha-style game that felt VERY Onimusha-y. But can I remember anything about the enemies or what happens in the game? No.

All I remember is PAL has 60hz. But it's a very, very good game...just not really that memorable at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X