definitive Double Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

definitive Double Dragon

i am a big beat em up fan, and was hoping to get back into retro beat em ups.

can you suggest your favourite Double Dragon game, and on which system?

NES Double Dragon 2 for me does it every time

DD1 Gameboy, rock them choons!

Comment

DD2 on NES and Super Double Dragon for SNES anyday!

Comment

I played Double Dragon II on the NES again just last week. The fighting is great, mostly, but those platforming sections really let the game down.

Comment

DD1 for the SMS was always my favorite. I could 1CC it every time back in my youth.

Comment

Sure the original arcade version has to be the best, that said the second one on NES was a great adaptation of the arcade game and also a better game.

Comment

the PC Engine is the best home version

Comment

In the UK the arcade board that most people own is Double Dragon. (it's everywhere on EBay here). It's definitely the best version. Although tbh the coding isn't that great and it has some noticeable slowdown. (The creator claims the game was too advanced for the hardware but that's a lie to disguise shoddy coding) Bootleg versions often use faster processors and reduce slowdown.

I used to play the mono-Gameboy version loads. It was great for what it was. So probably my favourite home version. I never owned another system (apart from Speccy) that had a conversion.

Comment

I’m glad they used the power of the Neo Geo to make yet another 1on1 fighter instead of a potentially legendary version of the Double Dragon scrolling beat ‘em up...

I remember having DD on the Gameboy and playing the hell out of it. The local bowling alley used to have a DD2 cabinet over by the loos, next to Ghouls & Ghosts and Final Fight. Most of my 20p’s went into Final Fight.

Comment

We had double dragon in the pub. That and a fruit machine. Happy days .

Comment

Double Dragon GBA, Super Double Dragon and the original arcade.

Anyone play that new one???

Comment

I did, for a few minutes... loved the throwback to dd2 nes, but it only took a few minutes to show how much better dd2 on nes is.... shame thought, was looking forward to this one.

Comment

This thread inspired me to play what happens to be my favourite version of DD:

I did rather crap, not managing to get off the third level. It was those guys in turbans on the bridge that were proving difficult. I normally do better than that and get up to level four but never been beyond it.

I remember being mightily impressed by the GB version back in the day as until my mate got it for his GB (he had a GB a good year or so before I saved enough from my paper rounds to get myself one), we’d only played Tetris and Alleyway for it which by comparison were rather simplistic. Here was a fully fledged arcade game, ported amazingly to the GB’s blurry LCD display.

Comment

NES version for me. It's an adaptation that surpasses the arcade original imo.

Comment

I see this is now on the Swtich.

Comment

Working...
                              X