Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone still watch it?

Comment

Less and less it seems, Ep2 reportedly fell to 4.6m in overnight figures. Still waiting for final live TV figures on Parts 1 and 2 but if that figure held then this latest episode would be the lowest viewing figures since the penultimate Sylvester McCoy arc in 1989. Season 13 has already been commissioned and I imagine is already planning but if figures continue to fall then I could easily imagine the BBC making it the final Chibnall/Whittaker run and regenerating the show again as they've very keen to recapture the Tennant/Smith peak since they lost Top Gear and Bake Off.

Comment

Orphan 55
        I wouldn't call this one great or anything but I kind of enjoyed it. Something about the way it was written and filmed gave it an air of being an Eccleston/Early Tennant episode. Something of a dick move by the Doctor to leave two people for dead at the end for no reason but still, it all seemed fairly lively and balanced this time out.

Series 01 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 4 For Eccleston)

Series 02 - 2 Strong Episodes

Series 03 - 3 Strong Episodes

Series 04 - 8 Strong Episodes (Total 15 For Tennant)

Series 05 - 3 Strong Episodes

Series 06 - 5 Strong Episodes

Series 07 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 12 For Smith)

Series 08 - 2 Strong Episodes

Series 09 - 3 Strong Episodes

Series 10 - 3 Strong Episodes (Total 8 for Capaldi)

Series 11 - 2 Strong Episodes
        Series 12 - 0 Strong Episodes So Far

Comment

Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror
          Second one in a row that was fairly old-New-Who style and the better for it. Nothing deep again but it was a lively enough episode and the guy from Timeless who played Tesla did a good job with the character.

Series 01 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 4 For Eccleston)

Series 04 - 8 Strong Episodes (Total 15 For Tennant)

Series 07 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 12 For Smith)

Series 12 - 0 Strong Episodes So Far

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror
            Second one in a row that was fairly old-New-Who style and the better for it. Nothing deep again but it was a lively enough episode and the guy from Timeless who played Tesla did a good job with the character.
            The Ferengi looked a bit different than I remembered.

Comment

Whittaker confirms she'll be returning for Season 13. At the bottom of the news link it mentions the next episode being set in Gloucester and I just realised, every single episode takes place on Earth so far meaning I'm unsure if that's purposeful or their budgets getting that tight.

Series 11 spent 7/11 on Earth
              so far Series 12 is 5/5 on Earth

Comment

Either Series 12 is going for something great or we're witnessing the beginning of the end of people's patience with the show...

So much to digest.

Comment

Fugitive of the Judoon
                  Well, for once I can't actually write about one with putting it in spoiler text:

This kind of nudged along like a dull retread of the Tennant Moon episode for a while which was made all the more awkward by the lack of answers all the time but once it opened up it really went out swinging. The second Graham landed on the spaceship and the American voice could be heard I knew who it was and it was such a great moment leading to Jack Harkness' return. It was a shame he wasn't around much but knowing the character is back in the mix really dialled up the old feels of the show's identity again. It really brought home the issue with Ryan as well, as soon as he started bickering with Jack and calling him cheesy it suddenly dawned as to why the character is so weak - he's a poor man's Mickey.

Then the stuff with Ruth recovering her memories happened and that one-two reveal worked really well. The only issue in terms of characterisation I could pull from it is that they chose an actress who played her part well so you never suspected where the story was going but once the reveal was done and she became the Doctor it meant she lacked the acting chops to do it well enough.

There are two ways the show can go with this development, the first is where the leaks lean and it rewrites the lore of the canon altogether and frankly would simply ruin immense parts of the Doctors history and character for the sake of it. The second option ties more in with the storyline from Spyfall and the Master's plans and would actually be a very interesting avenue to explore so hopefully they push that way instead.

The hot take aways feel like:
                  01 - This is very much more along the lines of what the show should normally be like with big moments, big stories and Whittaker standing centre stage

02 - The three companions are very much getting past the point of no return. This was yet another episode where they get sidelined for little to no reason, the dynamic with the Doctor falls flat as well. They contribute so much less than past companions that the whole 'fam' thing is cringeworthy and unlearnt. If the show's response to Series 11 criticism is to make them less involved or necessary then it's time to get rid and replace them with a better crafted character.

03 - Episode 6 is on Earth as well?! Someone's trying to save money for the finale

Series 01 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 4 for Eccleston)
                  Series 04 - 8 Strong Episodes (Total 15 for Tennant)
                  Series 07 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 12 for Smith)
                  Series 12 - 1 Strong Episode So Far

Comment

I've given up on this series already. It's just as poor as the last one. The companions are a waste of space and the contrast between the fairly dark realistic(ish) sets and the more fantastical elements is jarring.

Comment

The latest figures are in and the show has just suffered its lowest viewing figures in 31 years. Notably this was for the fourth episode about Tesla so it will be interesting to see if the buzz about the most recent episode causes a bump back up or whether the rot is too deeply embedded. Interestingly, and a sign of the shows overall popularity, the same Tesla episode was also the eighth lowest viewed episode in the shows entire 57 year history.

Comment

I tried last series and couldn't warm to it. Then I heard there was a whole new team for the new one so thought it might improve ... but it's still just not that good.

I think the dream team running the recent glory years have been a hard act to follow.

Comment

Praxeus
                          Given Chibnall co-wrote this I half expected at least a nod to last weeks events, especially as it takes place within about an hour of that eps resolution but nope, not a word. We're still in the mode where Whittaker finally seems to be clicking more with the role even if it is in the form of a Tennant impression at times but I'd say the biggest noteworthy thing about this episode is how it's weirdly similar to Orphan 55 which was just 4 episodes before. Another environmental warning episode about pollution with another group getting involved including one who passes some interest in Ryan. Yas got a really weird scene too where she puts herself at risk for the sake of a bit of personal glory which is likely nothing but might hint at her finally getting something interesting by showing a self serving slant on her intentions. Otherwise, it was better than Orphan 55, perfectly enjoyable but that sense of repetition kept it very middling. One key note, the Doctors move to save one character towards the end painted a very dark view of her actions at the end of Orphan 55.

Comment

Can You Hear Me?
                            7/7 for the Earth eps as that little curio carries on. The central little nugget of old gods etc in this was fine and has some potential but whilst the ep was broadly okay it's hard to not feel like it was wasted when the bad guy ends up being set up as so over powered then so easily beaten. There's a weird vibe to this one as well, like they were very quickly and somewhat clumsily trying to hard steer the companions to leaving the show. Note the writers as well, tension gets cut when the method of attack is basically wet willies

Comment

The Haunting of Villa Diodati
                              Better than it first opened up to be, the fusing of the Frankenstein set up with the direction the episode took worked well and once again Whittaker was nudged closer to being something more traditionally resembling the Doctor even if it continues to disconnect her from the companions. It felt like a fairly long episode and I'm not sure if the 'twist' was better than making it more standalone or not but broadly an entertaining ep.

Comment

Ascension of the Cybermen
                                Bit of a mad dash this one. Very much a lot of set up for a finale that's potentially going to have too much to cover but it meant this was brisk ep which after a whopping 10 episodes in a row finally dragged the show off Earth and was all the better for it. There was some semblance of the show of old about this and it's interesting that they're really beginning to push Whittakers Doctor into increasingly pushing the companions aside in terms of asserting dominance over them because treating them as her equals doesn't work as a dynamic and the more they do this the more she takes ownership of the role and the character of the Doctor emerges. The companions are incredibly stuck in a groove of wandering through scenes banging on about proactiveness and how everything will work out fine which is said to such an extent that I'm certain at least one of them is getting killed off next episode. As is usual, now it rests on the pay off.

Comment

Working...
                                X