No announcement yet.

Doctor Who Regeneration 03: Reversing the Polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXCLUSIVE: Doctor Who bosses are planning for the Time Lord's fourteenth regeneration after Jodie Whittaker decided she will leave after the next series which airs in the UK in the Autumn later this year

Word is spreading that Doctor Who: Season 13, which is a shortened 8 episode run, will air Autumn 2021 and will be Jodie Whittaker's final run as the Doctor. Chris Chibnall is said to be staying on board as showrunner and will cast and set up the fifteenth Doctor.

Comment

Doctor Who: Revolution of the Daleks
      To be honest, at this point I think it's become unavoidable to face the fact that the show has several very real issues going on with it as much as the last run improved things a little on Whittaker's debut run. Here the storyline jumps on ten months because *reasons* and it's used to develop some of the characters and where they are in their lives. This is an issue from the outset because not only does this development happen off screen but it means that the only real development they've had ever has been off show. This was in theory and absolutely massive episode for several of the characters and yet it felt completely and utterly dead at its heart, at the very best you'd have to go way, way back into the classic era to experience such indifference to the culmination of character storylines in the show which speaks volumes as to the issues at play.

The episode also works hard to establish the fact that the Whittaker era obsession with having Xmas specials that ignore Xmas doesn't work. There's a vague sense they need to make an event of the episode but they lack the narrative momentum to do so or the seasonal one. I get that Chibnall thought the Xmas theme was played out but he lacks an alternative plan which leads to episodes like this. Revolution of the Daleks is like old reheated left-overs of scripts you'll immediately recognise from Tennant and Smith's era but without any of the positives from those times. Whittakers Doctor slips back into just reacting rather than leading the show, Ryan and Graham are just kind of there too whilst Yas is now veering hard into Clara territory from when that character had outstayed her welcome too. I'm giving Yas a bit more of a benefit for now because she's beyond flat and due some proper development which she might finally get from here on out but it's make or break time.

Jack was fun to have back but this didn't feel like worthwhile pay off for the tease the last season did with the character. Hopefully there's a lot more to come because whilst it wasn't finest hour stuff he still adds a bit of air of the past years to the show and in one scene carries more character than the existing cast has for years now. Ultimately the writing and the direction of the show are both way off base and so far into this incarnation now it should be firing on all cylinders. I really disliked the Mysterio special and this is probably joint for worst Who special.

Comment

Was this a new one? Regular TV has dropped off in my house to the point where even shows we watch are being abandoned because we just don't know they exist.

Comment

Yeah, I stopped watching about mid-Capaldi.

Toyed with the idea of starting from Ecclestone with my son.

Are these all on iPlayer?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Was this a new one? Regular TV has dropped off in my house to the point where even shows we watch are being abandoned because we just don't know they exist.
            You need https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/?cmpredirect so you can track the shows you like and see when they're being shown.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
              You need https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/?cmpredirect so you can track the shows you like and see when they're being shown.
              Thanks Marty! I do need something like that. I've missed a few I really wanted to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a repeat it was that much like several past episodes

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Toyed with the idea of starting from Ecclestone with my son.

Are these all on iPlayer?
                  All the stuff from Ecclestone to present are on the iPlayer. Shame there isn’t more classic Who on there too.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    All the stuff from Ecclestone to present are on the iPlayer. Shame there isn’t more classic Who on there too.
                    Thanks, man.

I think the older ones are all on Britbox.

Comment

I've been s-l-o-w-l-y working through the current era series' ... currently on the Matt Smith ones.

I did consider Britbox for Classic Who but I don't think Sony tvs support the app for some reason, or ours didn't last time I checked.

Comment

BAFTA has suspended Noel Clarke's membership and awards following allegations of harassment and sexual misconduct by around 20 women

Comment

More Barrowman Doctor Who and Torchwood content continues to be cancelled. Considering the high chance he's in Series 13 I'm curious how long they sit on it. It's being taken too far at this point, Barrowman seems to get raised more times than Clarke who's actually the one looking predatory. Especially when Barrowmans situation is inappropriate behaviour but also behaviour that was raised, addressed, apologised for and ceased 13 years ago.

Comment

Jodie Whittaker is to film two specials on the back of the upcoming Season 13 block, the specials will air next year and will be her final appearances in the role. With filming already deep into the thirteenth run it will likely not be too long until the BBC announces who the Fifteenth Doctor will be.

(I wish everyone would start referring to them by the correct numbering - as much as that still matters after Series 12...)

Comment

Peter Cushing was never a real Doctor!

Comment

They always cut the best ones

Comment

Working...
                                X