User Tag List

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    I thought the Eccleston and Tennant's runs were really good.
    Matt Smith's also had its moments and I thought Amy Pond and Clara Oswald were interesting characters too and the Doctor needs somebody interesting to bounce off.

Totally lost interest somewhere in Capaldi's run and I haven't got back into it.
    It used to be "must-see" telly in our house, so it's a real shame.

Actually, I should mention that Christopher Eccleston has just said that he suffered from depression and anxiety and considered suicide during his time on "Doctor Who" and "The A Word" and is on antidepressants.

Hats off to him for opening up about it and getting something done in the first place and I'm glad mental health is getting more exposure these days:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9106081.html

Eccleston-Tennant-Smith
    All three era's are great. There's some overly cheesy and childish eps in there but broadly they're great runs and I keenly add Smith to that as I think there was a real weight to his era where the shadow of Tennant cast darkly over him but rewatching those Smith seasons in later years has really lifted them. Capaldi and Whittaker though, well today is a reminder I need to finish rewatching Whittakers latest season but yeah - the show isn't what it was.

I finished season 1 (new era) yesterday and thought it was really good. Had I been watching at time of broadcast I'd have been very disappointed to learn it would be Eccleston's only one... but great as he was, and he was great, that season had a number of aspects that made it so good and those carry straight over into season 2, which is off to a great start, 2 eps in
    Last edited by Atticus; 23-10-2019 at 11:50 AM.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/tv-news-...iercer-promos/

The BBC are teasing a Doctor Who related reveal on 23 November, best bet seems to be this years Christmas Special

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.c...-11205260/amp/

Series 12 trailer hits very early so looks like no Xmas period special for the first time.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/doctor-w...year-premiere/

Doctor Who: Series 12 will start on 01 January 2020, the second episode will air a few days later on 04 January 2020 with the remaining episodes then on each Saturday. Planning has begun already for Series 13.

Last minute push to just about get through the long running catch up of rewatches before the newest season hits:

Kerblam!
    I recall being a tad more favourable of this one the first time out but this time it was a bit of a chore to sit through. I think a lot of that comes from this being a rewatch so already knowing the dull 'who dunnit' mystery of the episode leaves little else to really get into about it.

The Witchfinders
    Very similar here, this one rests largely on the threat hunting down the villagers but as that extends mostly to an old woman with a bit of mud on her face this one spends a lot of time chewing through time with King James. Very meh stuff.

It Takes You Away
    The best of the three though the appalling father, who at least gets called out on it, and the moth zone still grate - that's not to mention the frog... Jesus Christ, the frog...
    After seeing the three of these I think I've definitely settled on my issue with the characters - the actors. Walsh is still decent, mostly weakened by a lack of screen time to really develop his character enough. The two playing Ryan and Yas I just think are poor actors, at least in this, they deliver lines in a manner that just feels like it's their first real acting gig or something. Something unnatural about the delivery. Delivery, I've decided, is my issue with Whittaker as well. I like her but too often she comes across to me less like she's playing the Doctor and more like she's an over enthusiastic CBBC presenter, I feel she's capable of landing the role but she needs to reign in her performance a bit and be given material for the character itself that has some dramatic heft to anchor her a bit given how much the expanded cast already robs her of screen time to stretch the role in.

Halfway through the season finale and then the New Years ep. The finale is so, so very poor so far.

Series 01 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 4 For Eccleston)
    Series 02 - 2 Strong Episodes
    Series 03 - 3 Strong Episodes
    Series 04 - 8 Strong Episodes (Total 15 For Tennant)
    Series 05 - 3 Strong Episodes
    Series 06 - 5 Strong Episodes
    Series 07 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 12 For Smith)
    Series 08 - 2 Strong Episodes
    Series 09 - 3 Strong Episodes
    Series 10 - 3 Strong Episodes (Total 8 for Capaldi)
    Series 11 - 2 Strong Episodes So Far

The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
    The returning bad villain from the first episode really compounds the lack of weight this episode has. It'd be a weak episode on a typical day but as the closing installment on the season its the worst finale of all 11 modern runs.

Resolution
    And done! Just in time (Boom Boom!). It's not perfect, new-Who has done the Doctor vs 1 Dalek a few times and often better but overall this is a solid enough episode which drags Ryan and the Doctor forward a fair bit and feels a bit more in step with where the show should be.

Series 01 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 4 For Eccleston)
    Series 02 - 2 Strong Episodes
    Series 03 - 3 Strong Episodes
    Series 04 - 8 Strong Episodes (Total 15 For Tennant)
    Series 05 - 3 Strong Episodes
    Series 06 - 5 Strong Episodes
    Series 07 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 12 For Smith)
    Series 08 - 2 Strong Episodes
    Series 09 - 3 Strong Episodes
    Series 10 - 3 Strong Episodes (Total 8 for Capaldi)
    Series 11 - 2 Strong Episodes

Next... Series 12...

Spyfall: Part 1
    I definitely feel I may need to rewatch this one, I don't know what it was but I found the episode pretty dull to be honest. The whole spy-caper approach fell completely flat for me which meant that by the time the 'twist' came I felt like my interest had been too beaten to care, that and once again the casting for said character twist felt wrong as well. I think I'll wait, see Part 2 and then maybe rewatch Part 1 if by interest in this tale is recaught but generally this was a very meh opener for me on first viewing.