No announcement yet.

Doctor Who Regeneration 03: Reversing the Polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entirely predictable from the off but Whittakers penultimate episode is locked in for Easter 2022

Comment

Lots of these now and frankly I'm very doubtful that the 60th will have any old Doctors in it. Not only are they all busy but given the special also needs to set up a clean start for the show and a new Doctor it would be pretty ***** to overshadow a new Doctor with the old ones around.

The alternative is if Tennant is the 14th Doctor but even then it's messy. It's particularly ***** to have a multi-Doctor story that skips Whittaker... even undercutting her finale if the next episode has her in it too.

Basically, the only way this works is if the storyline involves De-Generation. Basically something causes Whittaker to de-generate back into Capaldi and as the story continues he de-generates into Smith and then into Tennant where it stops. That would kind of make Tennant being the Doctor again plausible and also set up the next one being a briefer alternate version rather than the 10th. That being said, several of the stories cite Eccleston which then makes no sense and is very hard to imagine given his stance on Davies and his team.

Comment

Since the dawn of the blu-ray box sets I've become a new fan of classic Doctor Who. I saw bits and bobs as a kid but never made the connection back then. The latest set which came out late December was season 17, Tom Baker's penultimate season and I've just watched City of Death for the second time. Just brilliant. Filmed on location in Paris, Baker and Ward are so great together (were they married at this point?) and the script is full of great lines (Douglas Adams was script editor at the time) and moments. The extras on the disc are incredible too ... they really to go the extra mile with these box sets.

Comment

Christopher Eccleston has said he would only return to Doctor Who on television "on my own", as opposed to for a multi-Doctor story for the 60th anniversary

Christopher Eccleston has said that he isn't a fan of multi-Doctor episodes, finding them to be something of a cash in. He does however seem slightly open to the idea of returning as the Ninth Doctor but only if he's solo

Comment

Hugh Grant is rumored to be the next incarnation of The Doctor for the refresh of The BBC’s “Doctor Who” according to sources for British tabloid The Mirror. The outlet indicates this is just one step in a grander Marvel-style ‘Whoniverse’ plan to revitalise the series after current actress Jodie Whittaker and showrunner Chris Chibnall […]

Winds me up that things like this still gain traction in the modern age - never going to happen

Comment

I keep saying it...

BBC should sell it
              It needs restarting from the top
              The budget need tripling
              It needs someone like Grant Morrison or Jonathan Hickman writing it

Comment

What's J Micheal Straz-thingy of Babylon 5 fame doing these days. He's the man to save Who.

Comment

He's working on the new Babylon 5 despite his interest in the Who job. Who is big but to be honest if it weren't a BBC show I think it wouldn't last very long

Comment

Yeah, I think it stands out as it's one of the few current British sci-fi dramas.

As for Hugh Grant as The Doctor, I'm sure he'd be great. He was brilliantly anti-Hugh in The Gentlemen.

However, I wish they'd give someone else a break. A newer actor that can make the character their own, rather than it's a star pretending to be The Doctor.

This used to be must-see television, but I stopped half-way through the first season of Peter Capaldi's stint.
                    It was just boring, which is a real crime with that character and that actor.

I've not watched Jodie Whittaker's turn, not because I don't think a woman should be the character, it's just that I'm convinced I'll one day catch up from where I left off with Capaldi.

Spoilers: I probably won't.

Comment

Whoever they pick has to commit at least 10 months of the year for several years running which a well known actor will never do, it's very much a role that makes careers rather than is one existing careers are headed to. Like you say too, unknowns work better and can commit to it more

Comment

Capaldi got really really good though.

Comment

Comment

Legend of the Sea Devils
                            There were moments early on that I almost hoped we'd at least get something fun but instead it was another round of choppy editing, bad visual effects and the repeat of over used character moments from sideys we don't care about. Considering this was Whittaker's penultimate episode it was completely without event or note and what little ground being laid for the finale existed paled to every incarnation before. I'm not really sure why Dan is still around to be honest, he's become useless and pretty hard to watch whilst Yaz seems to solely exist now on the premise of fancying the Doctor that we literally never saw sight of till the end of the previous episode. The only development for her we have is the Doctor saying and failing to convince the viewer or Yaz that Yaz is close to the same league as Rose/River etc before her but shutting the door on it. Finale time in August that, barring some callbacks to classic era that you can see below, looks like more peak worst Chibnall era content and there's a real sense we're less seeing the end of an era like we usually get with these and more a dog being put out its misery. Very, very much time and again for a revamp.

Series 01 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 4 for Eccleston)
                            Series 02 - 2 Strong Episodes
                            Series 03 - 3 Strong Episodes
                            Series 04 - 8 Strong Episodes (Total 15 for Tennant)
                            Series 05 - 3 Strong Episodes
                            Series 06 - 5 Strong Episodes
                            Series 07 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 12 for Smith)
                            Series 08 - 2 Strong Episodes
                            Series 09 - 3 Strong Episodes
                            Series 10 - 3 Strong Episodes (Total 8 for Capaldi)
                            Series 11 - 2 Strong Episodes

Series 12 - 1 Strong Episode
                            Series 13 - 1 Strong Episode So Far

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 17-04-2022, 22:13.

Comment

Doctor Who Viewing Figures: Legend of the Sea Devils Sinks in the Overnights - Blogtor Who
                              The latest special scored the lowest overnight viewing figures of the show's history since it was revived in 2005.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X