Doctor Who Regeneration 03: Reversing the Polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whittaker's Final "Doctor Who" Gets A Title - Dark Horizons
    Jodie Whittakers final episode for the Centenary next month has been given the title The Power of the Doctor

Comment

Comment

I'm curious if the sheer extent of call backs mixed with knock off ideas is intentional or not. Hopefully it is and it ends on a fun note, otherwise it's definitely time for the new era.

Comment

Did I see Sophie Aldred in that trailer? Ace is back! Who is saved.

Comment

More Companions Return For "Who" Special? - Dark Horizons
            More cameos potentially lined up for the weekend

Comment

Three Tennant "Doctor Who" Specials In 2023 - Dark Horizons
              Tennants 60th Anniversary Special will actually be three specials that will lead us into Ncuti's 15th Doctor

The Power of the Doctor
              The Master has a plan and... to be honest it's not worth really going into it as the plan frankly takes a staggering amount of effort and makes absolutely **** all sense. Riddled with cameo's and references throughout its 90 minute runtime, this farewell episode was more eventful than we often received during Whittakers time but it was also very much a case of Chibnall simply throwing **** at the wall in droves and hoping enough sticks to make it to the credits. The Master, by this point, has slipped more into simply being annoying. The Cyber Lords return under his command to... be henchmen who do nothing different to normal Cybermen at all. Daleks are there in a volcano... because reasons?

The Doctor is pretty much out smarted at every turn again and Vinder (I think that's right) actually literally falls from the sky by sheer accident into the middle of all this simply to appear for appearances sake. The rest is largely bits stolen from past pre-Chibnall series and in the end I'd say it holds together mostly like parts of Flux did, through not stopping long enough for the viewer to take in how weakly held together it all is.

Dan gets possibly the most empty but realistic exit, Yaz ends as she existed with a tearful but emotionally void farewell to the Doctor because the character simply never worked and Whittaker finally winds down and bows out in the least eventful regeneration I think they've ever filmed. It's a shame but the show simply couldn't overcome its writer and that it can't land the ending because you want it to be over. The final moment is nice but even that doesn't land with full impact because its hampered by the weight of what came before it.

Still, though only several seconds long, the teaser for the future episodes absolutely reek of peak modern-Who era styling which hopefully bodes well moving forward.

Series 01 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 4 for Eccleston)
              Series 02 - 2 Strong Episodes
              Series 03 - 3 Strong Episodes
              Series 04 - 8 Strong Episodes (Total 15 for Tennant)
              Series 05 - 3 Strong Episodes
              Series 06 - 5 Strong Episodes
              Series 07 - 4 Strong Episodes (Total 12 for Smith)
              Series 08 - 2 Strong Episodes
              Series 09 - 3 Strong Episodes
              Series 10 - 3 Strong Episodes (Total 8 for Capaldi)
              Series 11 - 2 Strong Episodes

Series 12 - 1 Strong Episode
              Series 13 - 1 Strong Episode (Total 4 for Whittaker)

Comment

Critics praise Doctor Who as 3.7m watch finale (msn.com)
                Power of the Doctor, Whittakers final episode and the one to time with the 100th anniversary of the BBC scored just an avg 3.7m viewers which represents its second lowest figure in 33 years.

Comment

Doctor Who has just been handed a big boost in its attempts to revive interest in the show

From next year it's hitting Disney+

Comment

In addition to the deal to see the show expanded internationally via Disney, the BBC has released the shows new logo which updates the classic era Baker style logo:

Comment

I'm glad they're really changing things up for this next chapter. I'm looking forward to it.

I just wish classic Who was coming to Disney+ too ... in an ahh-deeeeeeal world ...

Comment

Disney Planning Bigger "Doctor Who" Budget - Dark Horizons
                        As part of the deal for Disney+ to distribute the show to 150 international markets, Disney is reportedly contributing to production costs to allow Series 14 onward to enjoy a budget that far exceeds what the BBC can afford it. Disney will also have creative input on the show and allow for more stars to appear in the show however the BBC will retain overall control meaning the show won't deviate from the previous tone too much. Disney also won't be able to commission spin-offs keeping the focus on the main show unless the BBC decides otherwise.

Comment

Comment

Prepare for most episodes of Who to be set on Tatooine.

Comment

What id be curious about here is how quickly the show might become reliant on that budget and how willing Disney will be to pull the plug if it doesn’t work out for them very quickly. That said, I could see this doing really well for them. Okay yes, I haven’t watched it in a long time but I still feel it’s a strong concept and string brand with a lot of history - basically the type of thing that Disney can make work.

Comment

Given this is 'Season 14' of the current show and despite Tennant doing 2023's episodes, I'm wondering if the next full series is going to be something akin to Ecclestone's series and effectively something of a more fuller reboot that treats everything prior as canon rather than a running thing that is called on so often. Given the push will open the show up to new audiences that's a lot of prior content they won't know and will need re-establishing unless Disney will be airing Series 1-13 as well at minimum.

Comment

Working...
                                X