Doctor Who Regeneration 03: Reversing the Polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor Who Regeneration 03: Reversing the Polarity

The BBC have revealed a new logo for the show that will enter use from Series 11

Last edited by Neon Ignition; 21-02-2018, 07:40.

An image can speak volumes.

Comment

The BBC’s “Doctor Who” continues to get a massive overhaul ahead of the debut of its new The Doctor (Jodie Whittaker), new showrunner (Chris Chibnall) and new writers with the first episodes targeting a September launch. Late last week it was confirmed that “Interstellar,” “Blade Runner 2049” and “Ex Machina” visual effects firm Double Negative […]

It's now been confirmed that the shows visual effects will now be handled by Double Negative. The company most recently worked on Altered Carbon, Interstellar, Ex Machina and Blade Runner 2049.

On the audio side, Murray Gold has confirmed that he will no longer be creating the shows music.

Comment

The one and only Alan Cumming is set to guest star as 17th century ruler King James I on the upcoming new season of The BBC’s “Doctor Who” which stars Jodie Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor. Cumming himself confirmed the casting on the latest episode of the podcast Homo Sapiens, taking on the role of […]

Alan Cumming will guest star in an episode of Series 11

Comment

I'm curious if, after reading this article, you're more sympathetic to Christopher Ecclestone, or if he appears to be a bit of a dick?

Christopher Eccleston says his departure from Doctor Who “almost destroyed” his career.

"Eccleston became the Ninth Doctor when the BBC show was brought back in 2005, but left the role after just one series.

And he has revealed that as a result he was “blacklisted” and went to America to seek work and escape the “BBC regime”.

What happened around Doctor Who almost destroyed my career,” the 54-year-old told The Guardian. “I gave them a hit show and I left with dignity and then they put me on a blacklist. I was carrying my own insecurities as it was something I had never done before and then I was abandoned, vilified in the tabloid press and blacklisted.

I was told by my agent at the time: ‘The BBC regime is against you. You’re going to have to get out of the country and wait for regime change.’ So I went away to America and I kept on working because that’s what my parents instilled in me.

My dad always said to me: ‘I don’t care what you do – sweeping the floor or whatever you’re doing – just do the best job you can.’ I know it’s cliched and northern and all that bollocks, but it applies.

In the US he found roles in big-budget films like Thor: The Dark World and GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

Working on something like GI Joe was horrendous,” said Eccleston. “I just wanted to cut my throat every day. And Thor? Just a gun in your mouth.

Gone in 60 Seconds was a good experience. Nic Cage is a gentleman and fantastic actor. But GI Joe and Thor were… I really paid for being a whore those times.

Back in the UK, Eccleston has more recently starred in TV dramas including Safe House, The A Word and comedy The Life of Rock with Brian Pern, although his next step will be taking on Macbeth at the RSC."

Comment

He's certainly not doing himself any favours. I was on his side until his comments on working on GI Joe and Thor. I have never seen GI Joe and likely won't but that is a damn good job and to be that ungrateful for it seems just dicky. And then you have to ask yourself: if BBC didn't want to work with him, is it because he just wasn't good to work with?

Related: my eldest has been watching all the Doctor Who eps since Eccleston, starting with Matt Smith, then Capaldi before going back to Eccleston and Tennant. And out of all of them, Eccleston is easily the one who seems least comfortable in the role. I rate him in other roles but, here, I just don't buy him as a guy who smiles. Which is kind of weird when I think about it. I buy him serious but never when he smiles, which he does a lot in the role. Tennant, his smiles are genuine. Smith's too.

Comment

With Ecclestone, I like him in the role but I think it's a testament to the nature of the role that he worked out rather being down to anything else. He's in theory a really bad fit but the alien nature allowed the viewer to look over it. It's a good opening run but in hindsight I'm glad he didn't stick around as I don't think it'd have held up as well in Season 2 with his growing romance with Rose which sat better with Tennant.

He's famously a difficult one to work with but Series 1 was is also notorious for having a lot of poor work culture going on behind it too so I can imagine he made his distaste for things quite publicly, especially with him announcing his exit so quickly, and that led to some circles of the Beeb not being so keen on him returning quickly. It's a shame it's remained this bitter as it's stopped him from doing one offs in the show when invited despite everything having changed in the years since. GI Joe was pretty poor and Thor 2 as well but like Dogg says, he was paid a lot to do films many jobbing actors would kill for so there's no need for him to be so down on it. He's done well out of Doctor Who, it undoubtedly helped open that door to the US he thinks of as his escape.

Comment

From 2011

“I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of ****. I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and.. we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work."

"If you allow your desire to be successful and visible and financially secure – if you allow that to make you throw shades on your parents, on your upbringing, then you’re knackered. You’ve got to keep something back, for yourself, because it’ll be present in your work", he added.

He concluded, saying "My face didn’t fit and I’m sure they were glad to see the back of me. The important thing is that I succeeded. It was a great part. I loved playing him. I loved connecting with that audience. Because I’ve always acted for adults and then suddenly you’re acting for children, who are far more tasteful; they will not be bull****ted. It’s either good, or it’s bad. They don’t schmooze at after-show parties, with cocktails.”

Comment

Isn't it frickin WEIRD, this virtual life big celebs lead. I feel sorry for Ecclestone in a way. Imagine a life like that.

What a curse to have. A big, famous, pretend person getting paid loads to be pretend when feeling like he's real all the time when he's not paid to be real.

Comment

First World problems tho, let's not forget, he's not paying my debts or owt, I bet he's guzzled many a lobster in his time...

Comment

Actually, in the space of about two minutes and three posts, I've entirely reversed my opinion on the matter.

He GETS PAID READING PRETEND LINES WRITTEN BY SOMEONE ELSE FOR A PRETEND TV SHOW THAT, ULTIMATELY, DEADENS THE NATION'S COLLECTIVE IQ.

Yknaaarwhuuuuurmean??? Boo hoo pal you earnt ya dosh being northern on telly, six or seven figs mate?

Comment

It's something I struggle with, Jazz.

People need to remember that celebrities have feelings too and respect some personal boundaries.
                        Treat others as you'd like to be treated.

However, I do get annoyed at actors moaning about their day jobs, when it's normally getting paid handsomely for playing Let's Pretend.

I imagine working on G.I. Joe wasn't as bad as doing a zero hour contract at Poundland and going back to a bedsit on the rough side of town because that's all you can afford to rent.

Get some perspective, you bloody luvvie.

Comment

I think the venom we spit at actors plays a not-insignificant role(pun intended) in their issues.

The fact that we often think acting is just reading lines shows how little we understand the art. I used to think that good actors were just better at remembering their lines and faking emotions until recently: I was watching a behind-the-scenes clip of a Walking Dead episode(series 7 episode 1, where Negan teaches Rick about leadership) and the director said he wondered where Andrew Lincoln had to dig to bring out the necessary emotions and I gained a little more understanding.

We expect higher salaries for jobs that involve higher levels of physical/mental activity(e.g. athletes) so if an actor is highly paid because of the physical/mental stress they go through during filming, that sounds about right.

Not to mention, actors are usually on zero-hour contracts, so if he was having a hard time during Thor 2: Thored out or Action Force, he might resent the work more.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            Not to mention, actors are usually on zero-hour contracts, so if he was having a hard time during Thor 2: Thored out or Action Force, he might resent the work more.
                            Are you saying that Ecclestone was working on those movies for free because of some Government back-to-work scheme?

Comment

You'd think a clever guy like him would realise something was up when the 'sound stage' turned out to be a Sports Direct warehouse

Comment

Working...
                              X