Playstation 4: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    So now I see it for £3 and I pick it up out of curiosity to see if I was wrong, and people are saying en masse that it was a bad game.
    You'd have to specifically point out who was saying it was a great game back then compared to those who say it stinks now. I doubt Speedlolita was one of the ones rabidly frothing about it.

Have you managed to play it yet or is it still downloading a patch?

Comment

Rockets being unable to destroy scenery isn't restricted to killzone. That's true of most FPSs isn't it?

I think Shadow Fall is a bad game because it just wasn't finished. Typical launch title really; pretty but without substance.

Comment

I had loved the Killzone games up to that point, but found shadow fall absolutely unplayable.

Comment

Fantastic first cut scene to gameplay though (heli landing)- don’t think I’ve seen a better one to this day

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            Rockets being unable to destroy scenery isn't restricted to killzone. That's true of most FPSs isn't it?
            Yes - but my point was that it was meant to be the poster-child title for a new generation of consoles, at least that was how Sony billed it. Consequently I wanted to see something (something beyond visuals) that couldn't be done on PS3, or at least wasn't being done - environment destruction, seamless co-op, clever AI enemies, large-scale dynamic firefights, the ability to command a squad using voice control... I dunno, anything. At the time I said I thought it looked pretty, but as soon as the gameplay started in Sony's E3 demo, I could see that it was just Killzone 3 again, perhaps even less distinct (because at least K3 had Move support that was pretty good).

People bitched at me back then, saying I was just being negative, and that they thought it looked amazing, it was going to sell them a PS4... I didn't understand the excitement at all. This whole feeling was a part of why I didn't take the plunge on the PS4 up until now.

Still, I'm not the sort of person who always believes themselves to be right, so when I saw the game for £3 I went for it, thinking I might find something in the gameplay I was missing.

Comment

Yeah, still not there on destructive scenery generally. Agreed regarding move support in 3. A definite downgrade in gameplay on 4. Also 3 had 3d. 2 was the best game IMO though.

Comment

Mercenary on Vita was better than Shadowfall.

Saying that, if it is £3 in VEX I might give it another playthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                  Mercenary on Vita was better than Shadowfall.
                  Yeah, I actually really liked Mercenary - though that was portable (novel) and also the mission-based structure was a great design choice for a portable game.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    Yeah, I actually really liked Mercenary - though that was portable (novel) and also the mission-based structure was a great design choice for a portable game.
                    Even the touch screen melee controls were good.

Comment

Yoshida Calls PS3 Price Reveal ‘Horrifying Moment,’ Wishes They Had Successful MP Games

Shuhei Yoshida is the president of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios. He was recently at Develop: Brighton where he talked about his work at PlayStation and shared views on the current gaming generation.
                      • Yoshida praised the work of Ken Kutaragi: “He’s always at least five years ahead of time… we would wish he was a little closer to our time!”
                      • He considers himself lucky for having his first two producer credit on Crash Bandicoot and Gran Turismo.
                      • He says that The Matrix DVD was the biggest launch title on PS2.
                      • Yoshida talks about The Last Guardian saying it used to run at just 10-15 fps on PS3.
                      • He calls the PS3 reveal and launch price a “horrifying moment.”
                      • He is happy with the success of SP games citing God of War and Horizon as brilliant but says that he wishes they had more success on the multiplayer side.
                      • He was proud to see ThatGameCompany make Journey for the PS3 and seeing it sweep all the industry awards.
                      • He considers remasters/remakes as great but says that they don’t speak much for how games have progressed.
                      • “I’d really like to see interactivity become more and more complex… I’m interested in the advancement of AI, to make characters more complex, to improve interactions with players.”

It will be interesting to see what kind of projects are released in the future under the direction of Shuhei Yoshida as the head of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios.

Comment

The AI part is the most interesting if they pursue that, it's moved so little over the last few gens

Comment

I give them five minutes before they scrap AI in favour of better quality pixels. They say stuff like that before every new generation.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                            I give them five minutes before they scrap AI in favour of better quality pixels. They say stuff like that before every new generation.
                            I know, right? It's always the same promise. I don't know why they don't simply employ OpenAI and have it run several cycles through the game (which it can do at near light-speed and in multiple instances simultaneously), then lift that behaviour and paste it into the minds of the NPCs.

See? I can easily be an AI developer.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              I had loved the Killzone games up to that point, but found shadow fall absolutely unplayable.
                              It was absolute tosh. I didn’t play it on launch and after the AMAZING Mercs on vita was expecting at least something above average.

I found the game completely unplayable same as you.

Comment

My PS4 really has reached jet fighter levels of loudness when playing games now, are the Pro’s any better? To be fair I’ve had my system since the beginning of the generation. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt now I have a 4K tv, is the data transfer easy?

Comment

Working...
                                X