Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
    Just ordered a Pro again Third time's the charm
    The RDR2 pack-in is apparently almost silent. There isn’t a stand-alone Japanese equivalent yet, else I’d buy one. My unit is noisy as hell, hence I use a headset at all times.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Ooh. It seems that there is a 2TB Japanese model CUH-7200A. It comes in at an absurd £537 shipped including import duty, but hey...

I could surely get £250 for my CUH-7000B with a 2TB Seagate Firecuda right?
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I think all current Pro's, even standard ones, are of the cooler type. Mine's a CUH-7216b. My old Pro was the Spider Man bundle one, and I can't say I noticed anything really. I always use headphones anyway though, and I'm used to my Boeing PS3 Super Slim anyway
        Last edited by Nico87; 31-05-2019, 23:10.

Comment

The CUH-7000 runs cooler from what I’ve seen. Instead of upgrading the unit, I’m going with a Nidec fan and Thermal Grizzly paste and pads. I’ve never had a warrantee anyway, so this seems like the best option. It’s £500 cheaper too.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Thermal paste can only do so much, but a better fan would certainly help with noise potentially.

@Nico87 That’s curious, I never heard a peep from the super slim PS3 I owned.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              Thermal paste can only do so much, but a better fan would certainly help with noise potentially.

Looking at videos, with my shaky hands, I’ll likely need to send it all your way.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post

Console itself is super quiet, it's the BD drive that's noisy
                Last edited by Nico87; 01-06-2019, 09:01.

Comment

Samsung 860 EVO 4TB SSD installed.

I started the installation at 11am. I’ve currently got 180 games installed so far, with 120 still to go. 1.99TB of space left. My 532Mbps download speed is helping out a lot no doubt, along with the enhanced write speed.

The unit boots up incredibly fast now. Games take seconds to load, and I can pull up OS menu screens in-game with zero lag now. £475 well spent methinks.

I’ve noticed a reduction in fan noise/speed too. However, I’ve got a Nidec fan, Thermal Grizzly pads and an IC Graphite pad incoming. I’m hoping to get my Pro as quiet as my X.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Haven’t been keeping up with stuff but I though it was a bad idea to use a ssd in consoles because of it writing to it all the time or have things improved with them? My measly 500gig drive is nearly full been looking for something reliable to replace it with. At least 1tb minimum, what have people been using?

Comment

The Samsung 850 had a minimum 300 TBW capacity, but the 860 has 2400 TBW capacity. That should be unlimited storage for years in theory. Save states are 50MB maximum after all. I can’t see myself putting major stress on it once I’ve got this initial download session completed.

It’s like a completely different console now though. The performance against the Seagate SSHD that I had in there is like night and day. I’d recommend the shell-out to anybody who has the funds. Plus, I’m thinking that I can swap it into the PS5 later down the line. I can’t see the stock unit coming with that much storage included.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                        Haven’t been keeping up with stuff but I though it was a bad idea to use a ssd in consoles because of it writing to it all the time or have things improved with them? My measly 500gig drive is nearly full been looking for something reliable to replace it with. At least 1tb minimum, what have people been using?
                        You do have the convenience of an external SSD of course. I was very lucky to recently pick up a Samsung T5 for stupid money. I’m guessing that the seller hadn’t done his research. If you don’t mind swapping games between internal and external, you could save yourself a whole bunch of coin. The benefits are tenfold between SSD and HDD/SSHD from my research too.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

All my games are/will be physical except for digital only games, obviously. Wold a SSD still be worth it?

Comment

All my games are/will be physical except for digital only games, obviously. Wold a SSD still be worth it?
                            That I cannot truly answer. I’ve been full digital since the latter half of PS3. However, as far as I know disc-based titles just act as an “unlock key” for the files that they install. I’d assume that anybody would benefit from the read/write speed of an SSD.

From my research, I gather that the PS4 Pro cannot fully utilise the speed that the 860 EVO offers, due to it’s CPU. 450 Mbps read and 300 Mbps write seems to be the maximum, which is well under the threshold of the drive, but compared to even the Seagate Firecuda SSHD, I am getting blistering speeds in terms of both OS and loading of titles.
                            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yeah, physical games just install all their data the first time you insert them. After that the machine only checks that the disc is there, it doesn't read any data off it during gameplay. It reads all game data off the HDD.

Comment

Crucial MX500 2TB is like £250 here, and it's only got about half of Evo 860 2TB's TBW. No sense in upgrading to a 1TB one (already have 1TB) as I don't like deleting games, and by my estimations I'll pass 1TB within PS4's lifetime. Would be future proofing though as I can use it on my future PS5 as well
                                Last edited by Nico87; 05-06-2019, 19:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X