Playstation 4: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
    Crucial MX500 2TB is like £250 here. No sense in upgrading to a 1TB one (already have 1TB) as I don't like deleting games, and by my estimations I'll pass 1TB within PS4's lifetime. Would be future proofing though as I can use it on my future PS5 as well
    That’s why I went with 4TB. PS5 is already sorted.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
      That’s why I went with 4TB. PS5 is already sorted.
      Yeah, 4TB makes sense as you can keep all your PS4 games as well in addition to PS5 games. Price is insane though, but hey, if you have 80 games then it comes to ~7.50 GBP per game (price for 4TB here is £617)
      Last edited by Nico87; 05-06-2019, 19:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
        Yeah, 4TB makes sense as you can keep all your PS4 games as well in addition to PS5 games. Price is insane though.
        What have you seen so far? There are 3.8TB Enterprise versions that apparently we have an abundance of in the “IT” room.

I’m not promising anything, but I’ll help out where I can.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

What have you seen so far? There are 3.8TB Enterprise versions that apparently we have an abundance of in the “IT” room.

I’m not promising anything, but I’ll help out where I can.
          Norwegian online shops, it would be cheaper to import from Amazon.com even with shipping and customs fees at £135. PC components are stupidly expensive here. Cheapest 4TB is £630 incl shipping
          Last edited by Nico87; 05-06-2019, 19:46.

Comment

4TB EVO is £675 here. Luckily I found a seller who was pushing a £200 discount. I’ll keep my eye out for you natch. I can always assist with shipping too.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

4TB EVO is £675 here. Luckily I found a seller who was pushing a £200 discount. I’ll keep my eye out for you natch. I can always assist with shipping too.
              Sounds good mate, thanks a lot!

Comment

You do have the convenience of an external SSD of course. I was very lucky to recently pick up a Samsung T5 for stupid money. I’m guessing that the seller hadn’t done his research. If you don’t mind swapping games between internal and external, you could save yourself a whole bunch of coin. The benefits are tenfold between SSD and HDD/SSHD from my research too.
                Using an external SSD is actually an interesting option. I could just move whatever game I want to play to the external to enjoy the benefits of an SSD. Would also be decent for the long run as I could go stock SSD + external SSD for PS5.

* Edit

Is this a good idea..? I'm thinking if I buy a 1TB internal SSD it'll be a waste when the PS5 comes around, depending on when I buy it of course. With that in mind it would make more sense to go 2TB internal SSD. On the other hand a 1TB external SSD is obviously cheaper, but Google is telling me that internal is better because of USB etc., etc.

On the other hand, if I buy a 1TB internal now, could I case it up and use it as an external later on?

Either way I suspect 2TB will be f*ck all with PS4 + PS5 games down the line
                Last edited by Nico87; 05-06-2019, 22:59.

Comment

Continuing on with my PS4 SSD blog, I ordered a 1TB 860 Evo last night. PS5 is too far into the future for me, but at least I'll have 2TB SSD for whenever I get one.

Gonna fill my 1TB SSD up and if I need more space I'll get an external HDD and move completed games to it.

Comment

I suspect the new consoles will be using a different interface than SATA, possibly M.2 NVMe if that PS5 Spider-Man demo is anything to go by!

My initial concern with this was the cost of NVMe drives but I’m thinking perhaps they’ll implement an SSD cache drive alongside a HDD for mass storage. In the same way the Intel Optane drives works, or AMD’s StoreMI works. These solutions are similar to SSHDs, but much more effective. Just some musings I guess... ^^
                    Last edited by speedlolita; 06-06-2019, 10:39.

Comment

Even if so I can still case my Evo 860 1TB and use it as external, so fine by me.

Comment

I hadn't considered them using a different interface! Cache plus HDD sounds intriguing, and they'd have more control over what is cached compared with those SSSHDDDs

But yeah, just bung it in a case. I expect PS5 will have USB 3.1 gen 2 ports(10Gb/s vs PS4's USB3.1 gen 1 at 5Gb/s).

Comment

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered is coming to the PS4 ‘this fall’…

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                            Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered is coming to the PS4 ‘this fall’…
                            Is this the ps3 game? I never got round to playing it. I saw it in CEX last year on ps3 and they still had it priced at about £30. Crazy.

Comment

New From Soft and George Martin game is called the Elden Scrolls.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                                New From Soft and George Martin game is called the Elden Scrolls.
                                Cue Bethesda lawsuit in 3..2..1

Comment

Working...
                                X