No announcement yet.

Digital Stream: Television News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind it too much, but there's about 9348 episodes of The Office, so now it's a frantic dash to start the episode without the clip of Michael saying "People say I am the best boss" to retain our sanity.

Comment

I find singling out a single service is a very hard question reflective of the state of the market. Disney+ isn't quite a catch all answer but I feel it's probably the one that most closely meets the requirements given the rate of content growth it has. Netflix has a lot but it's also losing/going to lose a lot too and whilst it has a ton of content it's really quite a small amount that I'd consider essential viewing.

The others like Amazon etc all have shows that are great. I love the The Expanse gained new life on Amazon, For All Mankind is brilliant on AppleTV etc but they're exceptions that don't justify the mounting costs of subscribing to every service all year round.

Netflix really was the right model from a consumer angle. A single service hosting content from a mutlitude of companies, but the business side of the medium doesn't work so we get all these services and therefore too much fragmentation. So I guess the real answer is all of them and at the same time none of them. There's definitely going to be casualties in the coming years and a lot of lost content.

Comment

Netflix is using its markets in Costa Rica, Peru and Chile to test an extra fee for those subscribers who share their login credentials outside of their own households. The company said it will take time to evaluate results in the three initial countries before considering a wider rollout of the fees. It’s currently charging […]

And Netflix is to begin testing of a scheme to charge an extra fee for people logging into accounts outside of their home to curb account sharing

Comment

Netflix has announced a July 14th premiere date for its live-action original series adaptation of Capcom’s “Resident Evil” game franchise. The series takes place in the year 2036, fourteen years after a deadly virus caused a global apocalypse. Jade Wesker fights for survival in a world overrun by the blood-thirsty infected and insane creatures. In […]

14 July 2022 will see Netflix launch the live action TV series version of Resident Evil

Comment

In its early days Cobra Kai had been knocked around as having a six season arc:

The creators of “Cobra Kai” have an endpoint in mind, but speaking this weekend during the PGA Awards the team seems to be in no hurry to get there. The former YouTube series turned Netflix sensation released its fourth season on New Year’s Eve, but has already wrapped filming of its fifth season which hasn’t […]

Cobra Kai: Season 05 has already completed filming a few months back and the show runners have stated that they have an endpoint in mind... but aren't in a rush to reach it. The sixth season is currently being written and the planned arc is now said to have several season's left in it with the final episode only coming around when the team feels done with the show.

I still really enjoy the show but this feels like the first... bad news I've read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Netflix really was the right model from a consumer angle. A single service hosting content from a mutlitude of companies, but the business side of the medium doesn't work so we get all these services and therefore too much fragmentation. So I guess the real answer is all of them and at the same time none of them. There's definitely going to be casualties in the coming years and a lot of lost content.
              I guess it just didn't make enough money, though. I mean remember when it was really good? Even at the time I felt it wouldn't last. We were getting so much for around a fiver a month.

GamePass is the same. MS are pushing for market dominance, then it'll get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                I guess it just didn't make enough money, though. I mean remember when it was really good? Even at the time I felt it wouldn't last. We were getting so much for around a fiver a month.

GamePass is the same. MS are pushing for market dominance, then it'll get worse.
                The difficulty with Netflix in those days (and possibly GamePass) is that almost all of the content on it was funded through traditional broadcast models while it simultaneously was killing traditional broadcast models. As amazing as it was, it existed kind of like a parasite, slowly killing its host. Most of the deals for the content cost them very little because they were seen as a low-risk little bonus on top of an already-funded tv show or film. And then add in the VC model where you can keep raising money without actually having to be making it yet and Netflix could thrive… or at least look like it was. It did feel like that golden period could never last.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  The difficulty with Netflix in those days (and possibly GamePass) is that almost all of the content on it was funded through traditional broadcast models while it simultaneously was killing traditional broadcast models. As amazing as it was, it existed kind of like a parasite, slowly killing its host. Most of the deals for the content cost them very little because they were seen as a low-risk little bonus on top of an already-funded tv show or film. And then add in the VC model where you can keep raising money without actually having to be making it yet and Netflix could thrive… or at least look like it was. It did feel like that golden period could never last.
                  More-over, I feel that enshrining much of content in services is a way to return control to "boardroom power".

When the indies came back in a big way - video with YouTube/Vimeo, writers with self-published books, indie gaming on services like Steam - it allowed for market disruption. It's possible for titles like Goat Simulator to exist, which previously wouldn't have happened, as to get on broadcast TV etc. in the 90s just required so many steps and handshakes that it was simply inaccessible to most creatives.

So YouTube etc. came along and broke up those monopolies.

But now I feel these services are a way to claw that old situation back; to give publishers and boardroom deals more relevance again.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    But now I feel these services are a way to claw that old situation back; to give publishers and boardroom deals more relevance again.
                    I don't think that ever really went away, in the sense that certain aspects of media never changed in that regard even though circumstances changed around them and maybe things looked different from the outside. Like, sure, you get Goat Simulator but that didn't in any way change the approach or even the power dynamic in the AAA game space. Same with YouTube. Yes, there were meetings and meetings about how audiences were now watching YouTubers playing games but the big shows didn't actually change as a result. So I feel like that old situation was always there, even if sometimes the players might change (even then, a huge amount of the people in top positions in Netflix, Apple, Amazon etc. came from high-level traditional broadcasting positions).

Comment

Peacemaker has finally made it across the pond … starts tomorrow night on Sky Max.

Comment

BBC ‘on fire creatively’ as it reveals 4 major hit shows will return (msn.com)
                        The BBC has commissioned:

-The Tourist: Season 02
                        -The Responder: Season 02
                        -Time: Season 02
                        -Vigil: Season 02

The last one will be interesting given... well, the story was done.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Curious.

If you were to recommend only one streaming service to someone who doesn't have any, which would you recommend and why?

Secondly, if you had to drop down to only one streaming service, what would you choose - either for content, or possibly because you feel you've rinsed another one?
                          Same answer for both I think: Netflix. Yes, it has the most dross, but for me it has exclusives I wouldn't want to be without (mainly Better Call Saul). It's a service all 4 of us use regularly on our house. It's a keeper. Disney Plus is only occasionally (and exclusively now the kids aren't bothered about SW and Marvel any more) used by me (just auto-renewed for another year today because I forgot to turn it off), Prime is great to have as added value with the shopping element, don't use it loads but it is used, and Apple TV is at the bottom of the pile and once my year free trial is up I won't be paying for any more.

Now tv has been mentioned but our Sky package covers all of that content and I do love having Sky Cinema/Max/etc. Not going to change that any time soon.

Comment

I would have to wonder about the future of Sky and NowTV. I feel like many people are ditching Sky due to the cost. NowTV exists essentially as a sort of loophole in the Sky deals, due to the existence of deals where broadcasters could have a catchup iPlayer-like service. I think those deals will end up harder and harder to get in the future and, if the core of what Sky is diminishes, I don't think they would be able to keep those deals for the NowTV service at all.

Comment

I'm still a little old fashioned with the Sky experience. I feels like I'm delving into something alive rather than a soulless library. But I'm starting to wonder about value myself (currently paying over £100 p/m for, granted maximum, tv/multi-room/fibre bb etc). And as things start to fragment even more, hbo etc, it's only going to get harder and harder to justify.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                Curious.

If you were to recommend only one streaming service to someone who doesn't have any, which would you recommend and why?

Secondly, if you had to drop down to only one streaming service, what would you choose - either for content, or possibly because you feel you've rinsed another one?
                                Here’s the thing, treat it like renting a film.
                                All of these subscription services try to get you to pay monthly for content you maybe don’t watch all the time, so chop and change between them, now tv/Netflix/shudder/starz/Disney etc it’s like you can get away with paying, for example £9 a month every two months instead, that would immediately saves you £9 PM/£54 PY, or change between services that are different costs.
                                I regularly get Now TV offers sent to me because I’ve cancelled so many times, between other services.

Comment

Working...
                                X