Digital Stream: Television News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I would have to wonder about the future of Sky and NowTV.
    Easily the worst service I've ever used. I got it for Game of Thrones but that was it, and that was only because the exclusivity twisted my arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
      Here’s the thing, treat it like renting a film.
      All of these subscription services try to get you to pay monthly for content you maybe don’t watch all the time, so chop and change between them, now tv/Netflix/shudder/starz/Disney etc it’s like you can get away with paying, for example £9 a month every two months instead, that would immediately saves you £9 PM/£54 PY, or change between services that are different costs.
      I regularly get Now TV offers sent to me because I’ve cancelled so many times, between other services.
      I've no idea why I haven't thought of this before.
      I guess it's because I share some of the services with mates.

I might cancel D+ as I pay monthly anyway.
      Turn it back on when I'm caught up and ready to binge the Star Wars and Marvel shows.

EDIT: just cancelled D+ as I'm away for 2 weeks in April anyway! Cheers.
      Last edited by QualityChimp; 24-03-2022, 15:37.

Comment

Archive 81, the new Netflix show that broke into their Top 10 for new original shows and briefly hit No1 on the US Netflix... has been cancelled after its first season.

Comment

"Only Murders" S2 Set For June 28th - Dark Horizons
          Only Murders in the Building: Season 02 will start 28 June 2022

Comment

Disney+ Filming "Full Monty" Sequel Series - Dark Horizons
            Disney+ are currently filming a limited event series sequel to The Full Monty reuniting the original cast

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              I would have to wonder about the future of Sky and NowTV. I feel like many people are ditching Sky due to the cost. NowTV exists essentially as a sort of loophole in the Sky deals, due to the existence of deals where broadcasters could have a catchup iPlayer-like service. I think those deals will end up harder and harder to get in the future and, if the core of what Sky is diminishes, I don't think they would be able to keep those deals for the NowTV service at all.
              Yeah, I feel like Murdoch getting shot of it a few years ago was a canny move.

I'd be willing to bet that a massive proportion of the customer base is 50+. Can we really imagine anyone in Gen Z wanting to sign up for Sky, or even knowing why they would? It's definitely on the way out.

Your 'inside baseball' point regarding the deals struck to allow NowTV to operate as a cheap streaming mirror to the main Sky service is interesting. It makes sense that that will not be sustainable if the main Sky userbase (who are essentially subsidising NowTV) dwindles significantly.

Really Sky need to completely restructure their service for the streaming world - merge NowTV and Sky into a single digital delivery platform (no satellite) broken down into different subscriptions which are oriented around on-demand first, linear second. They might be able to do it, though. My Mum and Dad got Sky Q when that first came out and, although it's not for me as I have no interest in linear TV, I thought it was a very innovative way of approaching a set top box - it neatly integrated digital on-demand, live satellite feeds and personal local recordings.

A mate had a basic Virgin TV box and that was utterly crap in comparison, like worse than the Sky Digital my parents got in ~'99. So I don't see that particular service lasting as a thing.

Comment

Comment

Comment

"Evil" Season 3 Set For June 12th - Dark Horizons
                    12 June 2022 - Evil: Season 03

Comment

To the shock of no-one: The BBC3 relaunch has been a failure

Comment

Robert Downey Jr., who played Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s iconic detective Sherlock Holmes across two Guy Ritchie-directed films in 2009 & 2011, is set to produce two different scripted series for HBO Max that take place in the world of those films. Lionel Wigram, who received a story credit on the first film and produced […]

Robert Downey Jr is set to produce two spin-off TV shows based on his two Sherlock Holmes films. Each will focus on original characters who would later then appear in the incredibly long gestating Sherlock Holmes 3

Comment

Netflix has announced the forthcoming third season of “Locke & Key” will be the supernatural drama series’ final run. The series is based on Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez’s comic books and the decision to end it was reportedly a mutual one between Netflix and co-showrunners Carlton Cuse and Meredith Averill. They indicate the story […]

Netflix's Locke & Key: Season 03 will be the shows last one. Not a surprise and for the best given the story arc

BBC America and AMC Networks are developing a spin-off of its dark spy comedy series “Killing Eve”. The project is still in the early stages and hasn’t scored a title or green light as yet, nor is it clear if this will be a network show or opt for a streaming exclusive launch. What is […]

BBC and AMC are working on a prequel show spin-off of Killing Eve focused on the character Fiona Shaw

Comment

Comment

Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman have set a multi-year exclusive overall deal with the Apple TV+ service. The pact will cover series, documentaries and unscripted projects for Apple to develop, produce and distribute globally. In addition, Apple Original Films and Playtone have begun to move forward on a sequel to the Hanks-led WWII […]

Tom Hanks is to come back with Apple to make Greyhound II

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X