No announcement yet.

Digital Stream: Television News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has there been any confirmation of the animated classics being included in Disney+ UK?

If there was access to that particular vault I'd sign up I reckon.

Comment

I’m honestly going to get it just for the fact that it’ll have the Simpsons. Been waiting so long to have access to all of that. They haven’t even bothered to issue the classic series on Blu-Ray, I’ve got some downloaded series but watching like that is just inconvenient. Usually I Sky+ a load of eps when I go visit my parents for a few days and that’s the most I get to watch the OG stuff.

Talking series 4 - 7 here primarily of course.

Comment

Erm...

Last edited by cutmymilk; 25-02-2020, 15:06.

Comment

Oh FFS.

Comment

Oh that will definitely not go down well. And it was a big part of the package they were pushing in the US. It loses some value with this.

Comment

Sky definitely screws things up here in the UK. See HBO and a number of sports.

Comment

Gutted to see the Simpsons thing. Honestly I mostly wanted it for that - not ruling it out now but I don’t really need 24/7 access to Pixar and Star Wars. Whereas I do absolutely need 24/7 access to classic Simpsons.

Comment

Expected though, Disney have been doing the same in most countries which has played into the timing of the services rollout as they will have thousands of pre-existing license deals that they have to wait to expire. Once Sky's deal expires though there's zero chance that they get to renew it so if that 2021 date is correct then they won't be showing past Season 32's debut. Presumably Sky Movies Disney's days are numbered too.

Comment

Yeah, I think that’s why it did actually take me by surprise. Initially, I expected way more of this. I expected Disney+ to have to drip feed their own content for exactly this reason. The fact that they seem to have delivered much more than I thought they could lulled me into a false sense that they could sort everything everywhere and I didn’t even consider the Simpsons.

Comment

It's another wrinkle for Sky in the coming decade as well which will be interesting to see shake out. With Disney, HBO, NBC etc pulling license renewals to bring content inhouse to bolster their online streaming services it'll be interesting to see how Sky copes. It's hard enough for free to air channels to fight the threat of these streaming giants but as Sky is paid and relies on content creation too it's hard to see a way forward for it once it starts losing series and films

Comment

Another interesting thing that came out yesterday was a show destined for Disney+ getting moved to Hulu. I can't remember the show but it's a teen drama about a gay kid and the reason given was that it wasn't family friendly and yet the book it's based on is YA and people were quick to point out the amount of murders that happen in the first episode of The Mandalorian. Meaning that by 'not family friendly' they mean 'it's gay'. That on its own is a storm but the move to Hulu is something that only happens in the US so where do the rest of the world get to see it? If Disney will shift their own shows around like that, it could mean reduced access to some stuff that should really have been on the service.

Comment

It'll end up being on Hulu, Disney are planning to roll out the service internationally next year. I guess the aim is to recreate the US subscription model in as many countries as possible to increase the chances of squeezing the competition out. Any content such as that series will presumably end up being held back over here to be a launch item for Hulu as a result. The company definitely has a big hang up on it, god knows how many films etc they have now and they're only up to their second gay character in film with Onward and even then it's another misjudged secondary character. I imagine people should keep their expectations down on the often talked about gay relationship in the upcoming Eternals movie as well, likely it'll be a barely referenced aspect that can be cut for key markets easily at best which is why it's 2020 and so many people are still left by Disney to pretend that Elsa is a gay icon despite zero real content because Disney will never risk their biggest cash cow.

Comment

Golden Globe nominee Macaulay Culkin has joined the cast of the tenth season of FX’s “American Horror Story,” at the same time previous alums Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates and Evan Peters are returning after having sat last season out. Creator Ryan Murphy revealed the full cast list for the anthology series which also includes returnees […]

Macauley Culkin has joined the cast of American Horror Story: Season 10

Comment

Pokemon the Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back remake is up on Netflix. Still without the section from the Japanese original with the researcher's daughter which explains why Mewtwo is so angry.

Comment

I'm probably late to the party with this titbit but it looks like The Simpsons will be on Disney+ UK after all ...

Comment

Working...
                                X