No announcement yet.

Digital Stream: Television News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Goodman and Billy Crystal will reprise their roles as Sully and Mike Wazowski for “Monsters at Work,” a new animated “Monsters, Inc.” spinoff series being produced for the Disney+ streaming service and will debut in 2020. The story picks up six months after the original movie with the power plant at its center now […]

John Goodman and Billy Crystal have been signed on to lead a Monsters Inc animated series for the Disney+ service. The series follows a mechanic called Tylor Tuskman who dreams of working alongside Mike and Sully, 6 months after the ending of the original movie.

Comment

“Game of Thrones” and “Resident Evil” alum Iain Glen has scored the role of billionaire Bruce Wayne in the DC Universe series “Titans” when it returns for its second season in the Fall. This take on the character has seen Wayne having spent several decades fighting crime as Batman. He remains just as driven to […]

Game of Thrones actor Iain Glenn has been hired to play Bruce Wayne/Batman in the second season of DCU Services Titans

As part of the unveiling of its Disney+ service during an investors call today, Disney also took the time to announce new TV series and short films in the works. First up, Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige confirms the animated series “What If” is coming. Each episode will take a pivotal moment from the MCU and […]

http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-u...-disney-plans/

Meanwhile, Disney has finally officially announced it's Disney+ Service plans. As part of that Feige has said that the MCU will be very different post Endgame and that the Disney+ service will tie very strongly into that future:

-Marvel's What If: This will be an animated series exploring various what if scenarios based on pivotal moments in the MCU. The first episode will be 'What If Peggy Carter Became Captain America?'. Launches in Disney+'s first year.

-WandaVision: This is the name of the limited event series following Scarlett Witch and Vision. Launches in Disney+'s second year.

-The Falcon and the Winter Soldier: Exactly as rumoured but now official. Launches in Disney+'s first year.

-Loki: As with the above, no new details but now officially confirmed. Launches in Disney+'s second year.

-Love, Simon: Moving away from Marvel, Disney plans a TV adaptation of Fox's film from last year.

-The Sandlot: A follow up to the 1993 movie set 24 years after the original

-Forky Asks a Question:
      A 10 episode series with Toy Story 4's new character Forky going on his own adventure

-Lamplight:
      Another Toy Story 4 spin off project that is a short film exploring what happened to Bo-Peep between the end of Toy Story 2 and her return in Toy Story 4

The service will launch on 12 November 2019 and cost $6.99 per month or $69.99 per year. The service will be advert free and be made available on consoles, web browsers, smart TV's, mobiles and streaming devices. Users can also download all the services content so that it can be viewed offline. Where possible content will also be in 4K HDR.

In the first year Disney+ will be filled by Disney with 25 original series, 7,500 episodes, 400 library movies and 100 recent cinema releases.

Available at Launch:
      -Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season One
      -Captain Marvel + at least 11 MCU movies including Marvel animated series
      -All Star Wars movies, Clone Wars and Rebels
      -Disney's 13 Movie Signature Collection
      -The Simpsons Season 01 thru Season 30
      -The live action remake of Lady and the Tramp
      -The World According to Jeff Goldblum: Season One
      -High School Musical: Season One
      -Several unscripted original series
      -250+ hours of National Geographic content
      -Catalogue Movies including Avatar, Mary Poppins, Tron, The Rocketeer etc
      -Disney Channel content including Boy Meets World, Duck Tales, That's so Raven etc (100+ films, 5000+ episodes)

Within the First Year
      -All Disney cinema releases from 2019 onward
      -All Pixar movies and shorts
      -The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
      -Marvel's What If
      -Phineas and Ferb the Movie and all past seasons
      -Monsters at Work: Monsters Inc: Season One
      -Diary of a Female President: Season One
      -Love, Simon: Season One
      -The Sandlot: Season One
      -Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Season Seven
      -Making Frozen 2 Documentary
      -Noelle: Original Movie
      -Timmy Failure: Original Movie
      -Stargirl: Original Movie
      -Togo: Original Movie

Within the Second Year
      -WandaVision
      -Loki
      -Hawkeye
      -Star Wars: Cassian Andor: Season One

The Service launches in the US first and over the first two years will also launch in Europe, Latin America and Asia

Also released is a video showcasing the menu:

Comment

This is interesting from the question of: at what point does the superhero stuff reach saturation point? Admittedly I have been wrong EVERY TIME about it but I don't know if making a whole bunch of TV show spin-offs from the movies will be a positive move for them. Yep, it could bring in some early subscribers but I have a suspicion the longer term effect could be negative. Possibly even more so with Star Wars, I reckon. Star Wars has struggled to retain its event movie status and I think part of that is the fact that it exists everywhere in every single form. Sticking a Star Wars movie in the cinema is now akin to a restaurant serving water - nice but hardly special.

Comment

Given the bumpy road Marvel series have had so far it'll be interesting to see how they handle it but there are two observations I made:

01 - The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. That name makes a very clear suggestion about the set up of the show and when you consider the canon for those characters leading up to Endgame it seems that this will take place during Phase 4, I'm doubtful of the characters doing much without a connection to one particular MCU lead so potentially... major Endgame spoiler?

02 - It's labelled with Marvel Studios rather than the usual Marvel branding. A subtle change that differentiates these new shows from the existing or old ones. I suspect, in time, this is how Marvel Studios will eventually axe pre-Disney+ MCU shows from the canon freeing up Daredevil etc for use in the MCU in a way that Feige approves of.

Comment

The key question for me is what does this mean for Disney content in the UK?

So will movies remain on Disney films remain on Sky until this contract runs out, or will they simply co-exist with this streaming service?

A the moment in the UK most of the popular Disney content lands on Sky Cinema channel first (after some time as a digital/physical purchase) where as it appears that it might then land on Netflix, unlike the US. Certainly Guardians of the Galaxy 2 which just landed on Netflix UK seems to fit this model as it was on Sky Cinema for ages.

I guess the short version is that if Disney films are exclusive to this service full stop, then that is some value from the Sky Cinema channels eroded. From the sounds of it existing Disney TV channels will be unaffected.

I'm not hugely bothered by most Disney content by my girls sometimes watch the TV channels and I will watch the MCU/Star Wars films.

Comment

I imagine that the Sky content might be rolled back a bit, the subscription channels continuing but Disney content on their more general channels drying up.

Disney content will wholesale cease to exist on the likes of Netflix

Comment

I found this to be a pretty good piece, making the case for the success of Disney+ : https://redef.com/original/nine-reas...DqHvzuvINdL5fM

Although one of its challenges (that it’s not all in) is something that I think will become very relevant in the next few years. I remain unconvinced by Amazon Prime in the long run because it’s not going to be a money spinner for Amazon. Apple are the same. They can afford to pump loads of money into TV and film and will do in the short term but it’s not their focus. Whereas if Netflix fail, as an example, they’re done. So Disney, A,Avon, Apple and some others could be just tacking on these things and, if that’s the case, how far will they go before they retreat?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  This is interesting from the question of: at what point does the superhero stuff reach saturation point? Admittedly I have been wrong EVERY TIME about it
                  An interesting counterpoint is that people have compared it to how Westerns died a death in cinemas - but I read an article a while back which said there was a point where Hollywood was, at the apex, releasing 10-20 westerns per week.

Now, given, we live in a different age now, and the way people consume media has changed. Still, I think the saturation point is a fair way off.

Comment

If that’s the saturation point then we have a long way to go.

Comment

First teaser for DCU Service's Swamp Thing that launches 31 May 2019

Comment

NSFW trailer for Amazon's new series The Boys launching on 26 July 2019

Series premiere July 26, 2019. THE BOYS is an irreverent take on what happens when superheroes, who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politici...
                        Last edited by Neon Ignition; 18-04-2019, 07:04.

Comment

Yeah, I hadn't clicked that The Boys is coming. I really enjoyed the comics (although I'm pretty sure that the main character is supposed to look like Simon Pegg!)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Yeah, I hadn't clicked that The Boys is coming. I really enjoyed the comics (although I'm pretty sure that the main character is supposed to look like Simon Pegg!)

YEAHHH!!!

That looks wicked!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Pegg is actually in it just not in a main role.

I'm totally in for this because Karl Urban is just ridiculously cool.

Comment

I think Disney+ looks very good. If they get most of the fox films on there it'll out do Netflix film selection (which isn't hard). At the moment though, I'm not seeing any gritty 'grown up' series that Netflix does. I'm thinking things like Making a Murderer, better call Saul, Narcos etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X