Retro consoles that you won't go back to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beecee View Post
    I had it, didn't like it. Like I say the games I remotely liked were available elsewhere, and to keep a system for one or two games I just thought were OK, makes no sense to ME.
    Fair enough big guy. To be honest I'd buy one just for road rash, well, as long as it was a 60hz machine. Then again, I've never been known for sensible gaming decisions.

Comment

I hear that, I have not made good decisions in recent times, but I'm taking a step back now, and thinking things through properly.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
        We all have our opinions.
        That's fair enough, Gaming like music or films is highly subjective. Just that with the possible exception of the Amstrad GX 400 almost any console as some good games for it, even the Jaguar (which I am not a fan off)

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Fair enough big guy. To be honest I'd buy one just for road rash, well, as long as it was a 60hz machine. Then again, I've never been known for sensible gaming decisions.
          And Need for Speed
          It was both those titles that made me take notice of the 3DO & I got mine when it was on it's last legs
          A new Goldstar machine & 5 games was £100 (including both those, Sam Showdown & 2 others I can't remember) in Norwich Electronics Boutique was too good to pass up & tbh I never ever regretted that decision to buy it

Neil

Comment

NFS is well better on 3do that PSOne/Saturn. And where else can you get plumbers dont wear ties!?!!

Comment

I thought the 3DO had a good start. So much so that I traded my Mega Drive and Mega CD and all my games for one. I certainly preferred it over the PlayStation's first year, overall. It was also interesting having a Western console for the first time, albeit one that was 32-bit. Some good ports, for the time. It felt like an EA console, way back when EA were known for making alright MD games.

Saying all that I'd find little to no reason to go back to one today.

Comment

I could never sell my Nintendo 64. No other way to play Pilotwings 64.

Comment

Never could be really be arsed with pre-16bit consoles. The really early stuff is abit crusty (Atari etc), and I even find nes/master system games very basic. Surprisingly I have never tried a jag or 3do, despite having lots of opportunities to buy them over the years. Not a pc engine fan either, and I had a really nice RGB modded duo r, which I don’t miss in the slightest! SFC/MD is where retro starts for me.

Comment

There’s games I enjoy across a variety of older platforms, but I’m not about to arse around setting up a Master System just to have a crack on Psycho Fox, nor some form of RGB modded NES because I’ve finally gotten around to trying Metal Storm. It’s a shame because I am a hardware nerd at heart, but I’m past trying to connect 17 RGB consoles to a single display. These machines aren’t getting any younger and finding mint working examples with these ever increasing prices is just becoming unfeasible. And that’s without all the cables, scart switchers and upscalers involved in keeping these retro systems running.

So for the handful of games I want to play on each of Sega and Nintendo’s 8 and 16-bit systems, emulation is the answer. Same goes for the N64 as emulation really allows these games to shine beyond the limits of their host hardware. The majority of Saturn games I’d play are arcade ports anyway and there’s only really a few PSone exclusives that interest me. So realistically, I wouldn’t go back to anything without an HDMI connection...

Comment

Thing is, people here talking about the 3DO - Return Fire I can understand, but surely all the others saw follow-up releases? For example, the 3DO version of Super Street Fighter II is technically significant, but would you really play it above all the other versions that were released later?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Thing is, people here talking about the 3DO - Return Fire I can understand, but surely all the others saw follow-up releases? For example, the 3DO version of Super Street Fighter II is technically significant, but would you really play it above all the other versions that were released later?
                        Probably not :-)
                        But I'd play Return Fire and Road Rash and Need for Speed and if I had it set up for those then I'd probably play SSF2 on the 3DO as well. I'm not saying 3DO is the best system ever and that its versions of arcade games are the best but it does have a few killer titles and alongside those some other quite impressive ones. There's a reason to own one anyway (unless you don't like any of the top games on the system).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          But you can say that about all the main old consoles and with modern emu there is little reason to even have the old systems set up. Then again, there is something so special about playing the original game on the original system it came out on.

The Neo Geo is a system where almost all of its brilliant games are out on other systems and the current gen too, but there is still something so special about playing the old Neo Geo, not just because its a fan and stunning looking system, but it also helps you relieve those happy days of one youth, when you 1st got to play the systems and games back in the old days and those memories are pretty princess to a gamer .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            pretty princess to a gamer .
                            That's a great speech, with a hilarious typo for bonus points!

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Then again, there is something so special about playing the original game on the original system it came out on..
                              Yeah, the systems you list are interesting examples.

I think in the case of the NeoGeo, there's something about having one running on a really good broadcast monitor with the proper controllers which, for arcane reasons, is somehow different to playing the games emulated on a PC using a modern USB arcade stick.

Maybe this ties into my MegaCD example. Some of the consoles I would revisit, when I consider these quirks and foibles like the controller or the physical machine, I look upon them fondly. For instance I would use a Saturn type-1 western pad if I was to buy one again, not because they're better than the later model, but because they were in the box I got for Christmas in 1995. When I think about the MegaCD, for some reason I don't look upon those things with that same fondness.

Comment

Gaming has leapt forward so immensely with each generation that you need some spectacular gameplay to make you want to go back to the old school. Heck I tried some OG Xbox titles the other day and was surprised at how rough they seemed now compared to how cutting edge they were the first time round so yep, shiny things.

Comment

Working...
                                X