Retro consoles that you won't go back to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
    Gaming has leapt forward so immensely with each generation that you need some spectacular gameplay to make you want to go back to the old school. Heck I tried some OG Xbox titles the other day and was surprised at how rough they seemed now compared to how cutting edge they were the first time round so yep, shiny things.
    The original Xbox is definitely one for me. I think this is partially to do with how Microsoft has treated its first-party titles; I mean I have no real desire to go back to Forza 1 or the original version of Halo when more recent alternatives exist.

Literally there are only two titles I can think of that I would play: Panzer Dragon Orta and GunValkyrie. I loved Steel Batallion but I played so much of it back then that I'm good with that. Maybe Kung Fu Chaos? Fuzion Frenzy? I can't think of anything else.

I guess there's Phantasy Star Online but then the GameCube version exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Yeah, the systems you list are interesting examples.

I think in the case of the NeoGeo, there's something about having one running on a really good broadcast monitor with the proper controllers which, for arcane reasons, is somehow different to playing the games emulated on a PC using a modern USB arcade stick.
      I think its a mixture. I love the N64, but all its games play look and sound better via Emu, there isn't a real compelling reason to keep the system hooked up (not least because it had a rubbish display even via Scart) but then it brings back happy memories of me playing my USA Import N64 for the 1st time along with Mario 64 and Pilotwings and there is something really quite special about holding the N64 pad (it was so unlike anything before or since) so its hooked up

Literally there are only two titles I can think of that I would play: Panzer Dragon Orta and GunValkyrie. I loved Steel Batallion but I played so much of it back then that I'm good with that. Maybe Kung Fu Chaos? Fuzion Frenzy? I can't think of anything else.
      I could name loads more, but then again it's all about what games one liked. I love the likes of Orta, HOTD III, SEGA GT 2002, Spikeout, Riddick, Breadown Rallisport 2, BLinx (yes, really) O.TO.GI 1 and II, Metal Wolf, JSRF, Conkers and a host more, but I loved the system and put loads of hours into it, so have many happy memories of the system and as a result, its still set up lol

Comment

I'd love to play Metal Wolf Chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          I'd love to play Metal Wolf Chaos.

I have it in drawer, unused for years, disc scratch free - is the publisher ‘verbatim’? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            I have it in drawer, unused for years, disc scratch free - is the publisher ‘verbatim’? ;-)
            Developed and produced by FromSoftware or is a joke going over my head?!

Comment

Verbatim make blank discs QC.

Comment

Ha! I knew I was missing something!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Ha! I knew I was missing something!
                  Yes on both counts as even with a copy, you still need the XBox hardware to play it on. XBox is one of those systems where Emu is crap

Comment

The state of Xbox emulation is a little frustrating. The system has a few games I really want to play but it's not enough for the system to be worth owning. I'm almost tempted to buy a modded system, play everything I want and then sell it on but it's a bit of a hassle.

Comment

I probably won't go back to the Nintendo 64. I loved the console, and Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time... Unforgettable experiences. Favourite console of that generation, easily. However, like most people I find that early 3D hasn't aged well, particularly with the muddy, foggy N64 visual output. So I doubt that I will return to the N64, unless I was sure about getting an NTSC console with modded visual output, which would be a commitment on my part which I'm not very likely to make.

I certainly wouldn't get another Amiga CD32 if my old one wasn't still working. Only acquired mine as it was dirt-cheap after Commodore folded. Horrible machine – cheap build quality, unpleasant controller, hardware battery back-up that barely saves anything, and a software collection comprising solely of Amiga games on compact disc.

Comment

The CD32 could fairly be categorised as a console nobody should’ve gone to in the first place.

Comment

All of them. PS4 with its PS4, MVS and JAMMA titles is just about gaming perfection for me. Rose tinted specs and all that. I really care not for anything else nowadays.

I do have a hakchi2 Super Famicom Mini that I play quite a lot though. That's about as nostalgic as I get.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            All of them. PS4 with its PS4, MVS and JAMMA titles is just about gaming perfection for me. Rose tinted specs and all that. I really care not for anything else nowadays.

I do have a hakchi2 Super Famicom Mini that I play quite a lot though. That's about as nostalgic as I get.
                            Trewth.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              The CD32 could fairly be categorised as a console nobody should’ve gone to in the first place.
                              Yet it outsold the Mega-CD in the UK. MADNESS.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                Yet it outsold the Mega-CD in the UK. MADNESS.
                                That's not a shock, the Amiga had a huge following in the UK it even outsold the Snes in the UK. CD32 was a nice system on paper at a decent price (for the time), just never really used and made on the cheap

Comment

Working...
                                X