No announcement yet.

Battlefield V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a **** show, I was excited for this but the cartoon look, ridiculous cosmetics and now half the friggin game coming "after launch" I'll think I'll pass until next year when it's on sale for like 20 squids

Comment

i'm in the same boat, it's not what i want from my Battlefield games (including a BR mode), i come expecting at least realistic for period graphics and atmosphere backing up the half-sim like gameplay and a complete game, and all i see is a desperate cash grab for the stupid looking cosmetics to ape fortnite now they can't "lootbox" up front, and they defend this ****ty practice claiming its about supporting women, i just don't want christmas light covered cricket bats handled by a blue tattooed clowns in a rainbow wig, they can't even spend the effort getting the correct forces fighting on the maps, is it so hard to spend a few bob making the Dutch army for Rotterdam.

Comment

I know there's been a rolling sense of diminishing returns with DICE over this gen to an extent and Battlefront II will have cast a shadow as well but I feel like one big mistake with this game will prove to be the setting. I don't feel the demand for a WWII set Battlefield was that high, the larger burst of popularity of the franchise came with BF3 and Bad Company so for many the old war setting means little. BF1 provided a change from the fourth game but other than being a step back from BF4 it likely burnt people out on the setting too.

1-Modern setting
        2-Drop the Blue and Orange stale marketing style
        3-Return to a focus on mutli-facetted horizontal v vertical map design with strategic and signature destructive elements.

BF1 felt like it focused on the series weakest aspects, BF5 does look better but it's hard to shake the apathy

Comment

EA has announced a month delay for Battlefield 5. It was due out 19th October, sandwiched between big hitters Call of D…

Everythings alright, everythings alright, delayed a month, everythings alright, eeeeeeverythings alright

Comment

Same thing happened to Rainbow Six, as Rodriguez sang once, "it started out so nice" then change to cartoon characters, crazy cosmetics etc it ruined the feel of the game for me.

Comment

Open beta is live now if you have EA Access.

Seems to play okay. without the ray tracing

Edit - spent about 3 hours playing it - more like BF4 than BF1, I'm actually quite impressed.
              Last edited by MartyG; 04-09-2018, 21:27.

Comment

Played a bit on Xbone, gfx are dicey on the bone but I'll compare to PS4 tonight once it's open. It seems exactly like BF1. Typical BF, heaps of peeps who dont heal go for objectives etc, bizarre why peeps play medic and are standing right next to you and dont heal. ****ers.

Anyway seems fun but still no buy until I see what you actually get for your money. TBH I'd prefer to buy the premium pass at least you know what you get up front.

Comment

Heart sinks at any mention of this being like BF1

Comment

I don't think it plays much like BF1 myself, this game is much faster paced with more focus on team work due to the way the health system works and the more limited ammo supplies, the weapons have way more recoil (BF1 there was virtually none), the spamming spotting button is gone.

Whether people are going for the objective is down to pot luck, I've had games where people work together (and you win) and people off doing their own thing (and you lose). This is heightened on the campaign mode thing where if you don't work together you've no chance of making the objectives.

Comment

Played a couple of hours on conquest. Ps4 really struggling to maintain a decent FPS on the snow map and the contrast on Black is way to dark so i have really hard time spotting anyone hiding in the ruins of buildings, and turning it up messed up the lighter colours, also had to turn the music off to as it plays none stop during the last 100 tickets. As for the gameplay its bit faster than BF1, my biggest gripe so far is the management of ammo, it's just really takes over the gameplay, at best get 2 mags on spawn, i think only people with your weapon type drop small pouch of ammo so you have run over to the corpse which can be hard to do in a fire fight usually leading to a swift death trying to claim your prize, which so far leads to alot of people just firing pistols at each other. If people aren't playing in a squad its a bad experience, more so than any other BF before it.

Mainly play support as it's my go to class in BF but i'm not enjoying it, the constant throwing of ammo bags and tiny mags of the LMGs just bores me. I want to play more to see the assault mode(or whatever they call it) and just have a go at fortification stuff as it seem you can board up doors and rebuild blown up walls but i couldn't find the gear for it on any of the starter classes, and to play in the tanks which i didn't get a chance to as there only seems to be 1 tank per side and 1 or 2 rubbish armoured cars which leads to alot of infantry combat and not the mixed of chaos you can find in BF4.

Summary so far, maybe one to get for £25 in 6 months.

Comment

I still played BF1 recently, and will go back to it after this beta, but to me they both play very differently. I think a lot of it comes down to the removal of marking, unless you spot with the recon binocs, you can't do it anymore. So no more surprise deaths from people who are quick to fire at doritos before they use their eyes to see actual people. You can stay alive a lot longer in this one because of this, it's a huge change imo, and brings back the feeling that you could lie in a bush and hide if you wanted. The classes play better for me too, nearly all of them. Assault has a great starting AR which you can do pretty well with even at long range with tap shots, and their secondary gear like the riflegrenade add to their ability to blow stuff up. The TNT sticks do decent dmg to tanks but they won't destroy one outright unless it already has damage. Medic feels very different, they have SMGs and not rifles. The rifle Medics in BF1 were and still are a plague, atleast on PC, due to how strong they were, best DPS and all the heals/revives made other classes less attractive. Smoke grenades are very helpful now due to revive animations being so long, even if you have the medic syringe. Supports has seen a big change in play, due to the low ammo counts on everyone and removing of spotting. You are a godsend if you're running around in a good squad, and if you park your bipod gun in a smart place, you stand a better chance of living for more than 10 seconds now. Recon can actually spot targets with the scope thingy they have. You can sit in a nice hiding place and just spot away, if you're on the ground and suddenly see red marks on top of people, you will appreciate the recon that is doing that for you, as it can't come from anywhere else. I like how you start with the base guns and as you use them, unlock perks and customisations. I didn't like progressing in BF1 really, this looks way better. Other class specifications aren't in the beta, so we could still see rifle medics and shotgun assaults. I'm interested in how those are going to work.

Performance on the snow map seems pretty odd, I hover around 100fps, but I get a solid 120 on Rotterdam. Also the snow looks really, really ****ty and distracting. But adding more and more visual effects seem to be Dice's thing. I wish they would turn down the bloom, smoke and all the other stuff tbh. Just a bit. After playing the snow map most of last night, I came off the computer suffering from Snowblind for a bit lmao. I don't want that in my video games.

Comment

played some grand ops, which is just assault/defend which takes for ever to play out across 2 maps (seemed to only ever do 2 days and not the trailer advertised 4days), most of it is just 10 to 15 snipers pings bullets from miles away while others play the objectives and you have to stay in the flag areas so it just sitting duck time. not fun.

Also managed to get team leader once and found the menu to buy extra stuff with our party points and some sort of slow moving tank for 4 players or a V2 rocket. Points seemed easy to get if everyone followed my orders to attack to defend points.

Also screw that upgrade system, you're locked down 1 path of the tree so i assume you'll need to buy the same gun again if you want the other perks... and the cash system they use just smells of something you can use really money to buy at some point and there alot of things to buy with it. Tried getting into the player model customisation but its locked out and probably for a RMT reasons that would look bad before release.

abit of fun unexpectedly getting the armoured car up on the broken bridge.
                          Last edited by Tobal; 06-09-2018, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                            Also screw that upgrade system, you're locked down 1 path of the tree so i assume you'll need to buy the same gun again if you want the other perks... and the cash system they use just smells of something you can use really money to buy at some point and there alot of things to buy with it. Tried getting into the player model customisation but its locked out and probably for a RMT reasons that would look bad before release.
                            No you don't. If you go to the armoury and click on a weapon you've already got, you'll see it says "Get another one" which is free - didn't really understand what that was about until I learnt about the upgrades.

Comment

Played a couple of rounds last night and I'd sum my thoughts up on it as:

I mean... it's functionally alright. It feels a tad more responsive than BF1 and the maps aren't quite as bland as that game. It's an... okay looking game. There's some nice stuff but in other ways it feels rough too. Both maps though are pretty s*** though, I find the match lengths of up to half an hour are far too long which is a first with these recent entries, they're just not fun. This is the fourth game in a row now for DICE where it feels like the quality is compromised and there is absolutely no way that at the start of this generation the me that spent all that time on BF4 would think I'd be playing BF5 and not only be bored, but the game feel like this big of a step backwards from it. It feels like those wanting a third Bad Company should probably drop that wish as another entry of that would go against the entire direction DICE has been going in since BF4 and at this point I honestly don't know if they have it in them to do it well enough anymore.

The trouble with BF5 seems to be it's an extension of BF1. In BF4 I rode a missile carrier to a hotel, rode up the lift, took down two snipers before parachuting down as a plane blew up and the hotel collapsed behind me. I've taken a defensive corner on a beach head, enemies closing in before dashing out and hopping onto a jet ski to escape as a carrier ship collided with the coast. I've flown in the side chair of an attack helicopter picking off enemies who ran to the rooftops fleeing a flooding city.

In this I ran down a street, killed some enemies. Then I ran down an alleyway, killed some enemies. Then I ran across a rail line, climbed up onto a bridge, then killed some enemies.

It's just so damned bland. It's not so much about the big set pieces from BF4 either as for their time BF3, Bad Company 2, Bad Company 1, hell 1943 were all more fun than this. DICE has taken a low destruction, high infantry approach with the series and it means it's strays into CoD's territory where Battlefield has and still does get battered by its rival despite Activision's series faults. Based on the beta play last night, BF5 corrects some issues BF1 had but that's about all, didn't remotely feel like a game worth going out of my way for this Xmas.

Comment

I must be playing a different game from you guys! I don't feel it is much different from BF1 at all ; and I played BF1 a day or two ago to double check! PS4 visuals much cleaner than Xbone as expected but would love to see it on the pro/X.

Yeah the guns feel different but that's about it, it has the same look and feel of BF1 to me. Customisation of guns is just as rubbish as BF1 though I note the extra abilities type progression which looks interesting. On the positive side you can now hide in the bushes so makes sniping easier.

I don't mind the Rotterdam map it's got loads of shortcuts and hidey holes but I want more big open maps ala Caspian Border/Operation Firestorm. I do like the "operations" concept from BF1, however they chose a ****e map in this Beta to showcase it.

I agree a lot with Supes, I miss some of the cool **** you could do it BF3/BF4. I want something that makes me go HOLY ****!, like the base jump in Rush in Damavand Peak.

Having said all of that, this is still a purchase for me but it will be next year, backlog permitting (and I'll play for the rest of the beta!)

Comment

Working...
                                X